Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

code 9 cyl position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 9 cyl position sensor

I got a code 9 on my 92 EX Accord(F22a6). The cylinder position sensor reads 445 ohms and shows no continuity to ground. This thing is about to drive me nuts. I cannot find an open or a short to ground anywhere from the distributor to the ECU. Resistance is about 445 ohms when the engine is hot, from the distributor to the ECU at every connection. I have swapped the distributor with a known good one and still have the same problem. It will only set the code at idle when the engine is hot. It will be purring at 800 RPM, then will instantly drop to 400 and right back up to 800. It will do this a couple of times and then set the code. Once the CEL is on the idle is stable. Above an idle and prior to the code being set, it runs perfect with no hesitation or lack of power. It is very smooth, as always. Is it feasible that something else is causing the stumble and that in turn is setting a false code? Does anyone know the exact criteria under which the code 9 is set? Is my only option at this point the ECU?
If I hold the idle to 875-900 RPM with the pedal, it doesn't happen at all. If I raise the idle with the idle screw to the same 900 RPM, it will still stumble and set the code. Does moving the TPS from the closed throttle position alter the ECU logic in some way? I always understood the TPS to be out of the loop at idle.

Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: code 9 cyl position sensor (amckee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amckee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a code 9 on my 92 EX Accord(F22a6). The cylinder position sensor reads 445 ohms and shows no continuity to ground. This thing is about to drive me nuts. I cannot find an open or a short to ground anywhere from the distributor to the ECU. Resistance is about 445 ohms when the engine is hot, from the distributor to the ECU at every connection. I have swapped the distributor with a known good one and still have the same problem. It will only set the code at idle when the engine is hot. It will be purring at 800 RPM, then will instantly drop to 400 and right back up to 800. It will do this a couple of times and then set the code. Once the CEL is on the idle is stable. Above an idle and prior to the code being set, it runs perfect with no hesitation or lack of power. It is very smooth, as always. Is it feasible that something else is causing the stumble and that in turn is setting a false code? Does anyone know the exact criteria under which the code 9 is set? Is my only option at this point the ECU?
If I hold the idle to 875-900 RPM with the pedal, it doesn't happen at all. If I raise the idle with the idle screw to the same 900 RPM, it will still stumble and set the code. Does moving the TPS from the closed throttle position alter the ECU logic in some way? I always understood the TPS to be out of the loop at idle.

Any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>bump