Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Cat converter help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cat converter help needed!!!

Ok so I need to replace the cat on my DC2 daily because it's shot (rattling like crazy and hurting power drastically) but I'm not sure how to find one as a direct fit for my setup. I want to keep it bolt in like it is now not weld in so that takes universal cats out of the running and a stock GSR cat would be the wrong size I'm sure. The setup is 95 GSR-B18C- RMF narrow header, USDM Type R Full cat back. It "looks" like my RMF header and a JDM Type R 4-1 are about the same length, so would a bolt in replacement for a JDM Type R fit this setup? Also my cat DOES have an O2 sensor in it currently even though I am OBD1. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cat converter help needed!!!

If you live in a no emissions state like me I would take it out knock it out and put it back in
Old 02-28-2016, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oldschoolmaster
If you live in a no emissions state like me I would take it out knock it out and put it back in
If that were the case there wouldn't even be a cat on my car lol. I have to do state inspection every two years in which they sniff for emissions and look with a mirror to see that there is indeed a cat body. Right now i don't have to go through again until April 2017 so I may just throw a universal test pipe in for now to buy me some time. I'm just worried that if I keep driving it clogged that I will either A) suck **** into my muffler and clog that as well, or B) burn up valves from having such excess pressure not being able to escape through the exhaust. Plus the sound at 1200-2000ish RPM is just plain embarrassing lol.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
If that were the case there wouldn't even be a cat on my car lol. I have to do state inspection every two years in which they sniff for emissions and look with a mirror to see that there is indeed a cat body. Right now i don't have to go through again until April 2017 so I may just throw a universal test pipe in for now to buy me some time. I'm just worried that if I keep driving it clogged that I will either A) suck **** into my muffler and clog that as well, or B) burn up valves from having such excess pressure not being able to escape through the exhaust. Plus the sound at 1200-2000ish RPM is just plain embarrassing lol.
Update- took my cat off today, saw the ceramic piece right there so I just took a hammer and chisel and broke it apart, shook it all out, then rinsed it out with degreaser then water. Now there is zero rattle and flow seems to be back on par! Won't know for sure how it sounds until tomorrow though because I need a new rear flange gasket and two new bolts/nuts from the hardware store to completely seal it. Old stuff was so rusted it basically turned to dust upon removal lol. In any event though this should solve my issue for now but I doubt I will pass emissions when the time comes without catalyst. Maybe I can just make an inspection tune that's super lean and pass that way, anyone done that before?