Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues

I am at a loss as to what is causing these problems...Any help would be much appreciated!

1. Replaced alternator with rebuilt autozone duralast alternator after original alternator went out.

2. Since then, I have gone through 3 Duralast alternators due to bearing noise (grinding noise) coming from the alternator during idle immediately after replacing it.

3. Went to Acura and picked up a rebuilt alternator from them and after installing it, no more noise. At least until I drove around the block, came back and when I started the car again, the noise returned.

-- New alternator belt with tension set properly, loose, or extremely loose (not charging battery) STILL Makes noise!!

-- Remove belt from the alternator and grinding noise is gone (of course so is the battery if longer than a minute)

Any ideas as to what could be causing the bearings in the Alternator to go out quick, or am I just that lucky right now to receive 4 bad alternators??

Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (cleanEG)

Are you POSITIVE its your alternator? Ive gone through 2 alternators in a month, but never for that reason. I happened to get one that had bad brushes. But ive never heard of alternator bearings going out that rapidly or at all.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (veggiemaster)

It is the Alternator.....as mentioned before, no belt (no alternator) = no problems

**frustrated**
Old 09-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a burned out alternator wire that kept killing alternators
Old 09-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (SUPERNATURAL)

did you check your fuse box wires? its the harness and the starter juice wire, they often get mixed. i had a buddy that got it mixed once and he had issues.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (DOHCtorTHRUST)

ahhh good point, let me check
Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alternator wiring is connected right at the fuse/relay box....

Alternator also charges the battery when in use, however the grinding noise (bearing failure symptoms) are still present.

I thought perhaps the belt was on too tight, however I checked the tension by twisting the belt completely around and it was good.....
Old 09-06-2005, 03:59 AM

I can almost GUARANTEE that its not your bearings that are getting toasted so quickly!! It sounds like you have a major short somewhere-that you are over looking. I would really go over your wiring set up with an eagle eye--and check the resistance of all your alternator wires--I bet you will find a problem...
Old 09-06-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (d16dcoe45)

And the chance of you receiving 4 consecutive bad alternators--from two different places, I would honestly say is like 1 in 100,000!!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (d16dcoe45)

Thanks for the advice! I am going to double check all of the wiring again this week, however I did make some progress yesterday on it.

Current Issues:

-- During initial start up (cold or warm) the alternator screams until I rev the motor up to 3-6k for a few seconds, then it goes away completely.

-- I triple checked the belt tension and it was perfect, I was able to twist the belt 360 degrees or more.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cleanEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-- I triple checked the belt tension and it was perfect, I was able to twist the belt 360 degrees or more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I notice in you first post you mention the tension as "proper, loose and extremely loose". How are you checking tension?

What about beyond proper, as in tight? I don't think you should be able to twist the belt 360 degrees.

Another question: do the pulleys line up properly? Is there a possibility of your alternator being "cockeyed"?

On the "defective" alternators, did the pulley spin freely?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (tyro)

Well, here is how I went about checking the tension:

I adjusted the alternator the point where the battery was holding a constant ~ 13.5 - 14 volts.
I played with the adjustment until I found the sweet spot where it was just shy of not charging the battery.
I probably adjusted the belt over 100 times by now

As for the pulleys, they are lined up perfectly.

Regarding the shitty Duralast alternators, I noticed that before installing the them, the pulley would spin without any noise. However after installing the alternator, idling the car, hearing the grinding noise, and removing the alternator --- I could spin the pulley and hear what I thought was a loose bearing. This has happened on all of the Alternators EXCEPT the acura one.

I have a $200 duralast alternator that I need to take back and a $350 acura one in the car. If I throw in the duralast, I get the metal grinding noise ...with the acura one, I dont get the grinding noise, its more of a very loud screaching noise.

keep em coming and thanks guys for taking the time
Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Does the screeching noise with the Acura alternator come and go, or is it constant?

What I'm getting at here is this: is the belt slipping? Have you tried another new belt with the Acura alternator? Is there a possibility of the belt being glazed from slipping around on the various alternators you've tried?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator bearings -- -Major Issues (tyro)

Could be the belt, so I am going down to Acura tomorrow to pick up an OEM replacement instead of the Duralast replacement belt I bought with the other alternator. Currently I have the old OEM belt on and it makes less noise then with the Duralast one. It might be slipping when I first start the car because as of now, it is only during the initial startup and lasts for a couple seconds. I will update the thread after the new OEM belt....
Old 09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since u swap so many alternators
did u always use the same pulley?
im thinking the pulley is rubbing against something
Old 09-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cleanEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, here is how I went about checking the tension:

I adjusted the alternator the point where the battery was holding a constant ~ 13.5 - 14 volts.
I played with the adjustment until I found the sweet spot where it was just shy of not charging the battery.
I probably adjusted the belt over 100 times by now

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sure don't understand your method of adjusting the belt tension. You should not be able to twist the belt over 360 when the tension is correct. IIRC, and I didn't go and open my helms, but the spec calls to tighten the belt so that about a 22 lb force in the midspan of the belt deflects it like 0.4 inches or so. Calibrate your thumb on a scale, and away you go. It sounds like a slipping belt squeal to me. All the alternators might have been good. The odds of 3 or 4 bad alternators is zilch.