Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

96 Integra intermittent stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Integra intermittent stalling problem

I just picked up a 96 Integra SE, all stock and unmolested, a few weeks ago and it is having a random stalling issue. It runs and drives awesome otherwise. The only narrowing down I have done is it doesn't do it when it is cold, it isn't the ignition switch, and it usually happens twice in a row and will be fine again for a while. It happens idling in Park, in gear, and while driving at any speed. When it happens there is no bogging, no missing, it just drops from whatever RPM it's at to 0. I'll throw it in Park or Neutral and it will start back up, sometimes it will die again, but starts up and runs fine. I've checked all the fuses, all connections on the engine and to the ECU, main relay, ignition switch, etc. I reflowed all the solder connections on the main relay. I cleaned and regreased the contacts in the igntion switch. I tested the coil at around 70° and got .7 ohms and 16k ohms, so I cleaned the terminals on it and on the ICM as well as putting heat sink grease between the ICM and the little aluminum bracket. I changed the plugs and tested the wires, which ohmed out fine. Cap and rotor are clean. I tested the battery and alternator, both fine. I cleaned the terminals and all the grounds. I ran some Chevron fuel injector cleaner through it. The CEL is on, for the secondary 02 sensor which shouldn't cause my problem. I'm thinkin next on my list is to check fuel pressure at the filter, but other than that I am pretty much at a loss. I've searched everywhere, and people either have to wait a few minutes before their car will restart indicating an overheated fuel pump, coil, or ICM, or all of their dash lights and gauges go dead when it dies but it starts right back up which points to ignition switch. Anyone ever experience my exact symptoms and resolve the problem? Any other tests or checks I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the ignition coil.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Integra intermittent stalling problem

I checked it at the recommended 68-70° F and it was right in the middle of the spec ranges. Do you think it's possible when it gets to operating temp, it doesn't put out enough voltage?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

coils dont overheat, ignitors do ... however this sounds like bad oxygen senor possibly caused by exhaust leak ... seafoam it and look for white smoke billowing out of exhaust manifold gasket
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just reread your post. Fix the CEL before proceeding.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace ign coil and double check connections to igniter
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem. did you happen to fix your issue?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this problem with a single cam,

ran great when cold, but when the engine got hot, it would stall out,
I replaced the coil, icm, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, ect sensor, main relay, tps, map
and still did it
I tested all of those with a fluke meter and they tested good
but I got mad and just started replacing parts, so now I have extra parts for down the road

I replaced the dizzy with a junkyard unit and it ran great, no more problems
so then I put the new coil, icm, cap, rotor and the problem was gone

only thing I could think of was maybe the cam sensor in the bottom half of the dizzy was bad when it heated up?
no idea but the engine is running great now
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds most likely like the original issue was the ICM. I'd grab one from the junkyard before putting in a crappy auto parts store one.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for not replying sooner. I did get it fixed finally. There were 2 issues. The main relay was bad after all, but it wasn't from solder joints. One of the contacts inside was burned pretty bad. So sometimes it would lose connection, causing the car to die. The second issue was corrosion in a wire that goes to the ICM where the harness goes into the distributor housing. Took forever to track those problems down, but it no longer stalls!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Putzman02
Sorry for not replying sooner. I did get it fixed finally. There were 2 issues. The main relay was bad after all, but it wasn't from solder joints. One of the contacts inside was burned pretty bad. So sometimes it would lose connection, causing the car to die. The second issue was corrosion in a wire that goes to the ICM where the harness goes into the distributor housing. Took forever to track those problems down, but it no longer stalls!
was this the yellow/green wire? what was your symptoms if you don't mind sharing. thank you.