Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Help, ebrake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, ebrake question

What's up guys. First off sorry if this question has been answered numerous times but I just don't know what to search. Please don't be rude and help me out or at least direct me in the thread or info..

car is 92 civic cx hatch. Just did a rear disc brake conversion. Everything is correctly mounted and brakes are functional however the ebrake cables seem to be uneven ..

ive always been lead to believe that one side will always be stronger but this could be too much for my likings. Ebrake disengaged
Ebrake engaged
they both work but I was just wondering if there was a way to make it even

thanks in advance

-couchwarrior
Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 618 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Re: Help, ebrake question

What cables did you use with the swap? Are all of the brackets connected, in all of the right places?

Why would expect one side to be "stronger" than the other? Doesn't that seem like a terrible situation if you needed to actually use the brake to slow the car?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
What cables did you use with the swap? Are all of the brackets connected, in all of the right places?

Why would expect one side to be "stronger" than the other? Doesn't that seem like a terrible situation if you needed to actually use the brake to slow the car?
i purchased brand new cables from Honda for 95 si. All brackets are fastened securely.

Not really sure, i have another hatch and this same situation occurs however not as extreme .. then my friend has an Si and this happens to his as well, again not as bad. Both cars never really been messed with. Just kinda assumed
Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 618 Likes on 489 Posts

Good, you got the right cables. Next step would be to make sure the levers at the caliper end are pulling to similar angles when you pull the hand lever up. If their not, you may need to make sure that the self adjusters are working properly. Might not be a bad idea to use the hand brake to slow the car and confirm that they are pulling evenly. If the car pulls one way or the other, you need to keep looking for the culprit. If you've done your due diligence and the yoke is still a little crooked you may just have one cable that has a little more slack than he other... but you definitely shouldn't have an imbalance left to right... it's unsafe.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Good, you got the right cables. Next step would be to make sure the levers at the caliper end are pulling to similar angles when you pull the hand lever up. If their not, you may need to make sure that the self adjusters are working properly. Might not be a bad idea to use the hand brake to slow the car and confirm that they are pulling evenly. If the car pulls one way or the other, you need to keep looking for the culprit. If you've done your due diligence and the yoke is still a little crooked you may just have one cable that has a little more slack than he other... but you definitely shouldn't have an imbalance left to right... it's unsafe.
most definitely, car currently isn't running but this weekend I'll give it a shot and get back to you. Thanks for your help