Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

which coilover's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which coilover's

i would like some help on what full coilover's to get i was lookin at gettin a set of ksport's or FUNCTION FORM TYPE 1 thanks for the help
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: which coilover's

Both are cheap pieces of junk. Don't get either.

For cheap you've got limited options:

Koni Srt + Spring or coilover sleeve of your choice.
Progress CS-II

That's pretty much it. I love my progress CS-II, but I'll be the first to tell you I wish I'd waited for my next paycheck and gotten a superior product with a lifetime warranty, rebuildable shocks, and is tried and true.

Goals for your car? Budget?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
Both are cheap pieces of junk. Don't get either.

For cheap you've got limited options:

Koni Srt + Spring or coilover sleeve of your choice.
Progress CS-II

That's pretty much it. I love my progress CS-II, but I'll be the first to tell you I wish I'd waited for my next paycheck and gotten a superior product with a lifetime warranty, rebuildable shocks, and is tried and true.

Goals for your car? Budget?
I don't understand why everyone says Ksports are junk. I've had them and they rode great and still ride great. Definitely better than any other cheap coilovers that aren't full bodied like the Ksports are.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by duscar
I don't understand why everyone says Ksports are junk. I've had them and they rode great and still ride great. Definitely better than any other cheap coilovers that aren't full bodied like the Ksports are.
Because compared to other options in the price range we've seen too many k-sport and D2 pictures with broken shock rods and the like.

Not to mention it's just an anodized fanboy part. People who get this have no serious intentions with their cars, they just want to slam their car for an image. It's called hard parking.

It's all about philisophical differences, Function > form and form > function.

Two different schools of thought, and the ksport is typically viewed as a form > function.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They suck.

Full bodied/ full coilovers means noithing.

Koni/gc, while technicaly a slip on, with blow those pieces of **** out of the water.

Some companys coilovers are noithing more than a sleeve welded to a shock! And they market them as 1 pieces..

The only pro to some "1 piece" coilovers is that pre load and ride height adjustments are seperate from each other.

Do some reasearch and you'll see ksport's won't hold up over time.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's better in the price range? I can get dealer pricing on them so I'm not paying anywhere near retail or anywhere near what I would pay from a store. Like I said, I've had them personally and they rode great for just wanting to lower the car. It's not like I'm trying to track it or else I wouldn't be using them.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Ek Forever y0!

How much do you want to lower the car? Mild drops at that price range progress CS-II is a great option.

Personally I would wait another month or two and get koni/GC. Lifetime warranty > all.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much do you want to lower the car? Mild drops at that price range progress CS-II is a great option.

Personally I would wait another month or two and get koni/GC. Lifetime warranty > all.
But how comfortable would Koni+GC be at much more than just a mild drop? I'm wanting to lower it more than just an inch, and I realize it's not going to handle great at the height I'm wanting, that's not what I'm going for. I realize Koni+GC is great as far as performance goes, but this isn't a race car. I'm just wanting to lower it more than just a little bit. I'm coming from the VW world so I'm used to slamming the **** out of cars.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then get airbags. how comfortable do you expect the car to be riding on bumpstops and slamming your uca's in the shock tower ?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by donut.
then get airbags. how comfortable do you expect the car to be riding on bumpstops and slamming your uca's in the shock tower ?
Cause that's definitely in the same price range. Even on my Ksports I was stupid low and never had an issue with hitting bumpstops or even bottoming out.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyyyyyyyways. yes, a koni/gc can be as "comfortable" if there is such a thing on a lowered honda. just get soft springs for the rear

why is it that people think coilovers with independent ride height adjustment automatically makes them better?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by donut.
anyyyyyyyways. yes, a koni/gc can be as "comfortable" if there is such a thing on a lowered honda. just get soft springs for the rear

why is it that people think coilovers with independent ride height adjustment automatically makes them better?
Because every car I've ridden in that didn't have full body coilovers and had coilovers where you adjust the height by compressing or decompressing the spring by messing with the spring perches rode like ****.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how does preload have anything to do with ride quality when the vehicles weight compresses the spring
Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Ek Forever y0!

What does full bodied coilovers have to do with making them ubiquitously better than shock +spring/coil sleeve?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam i just want them to ride good cuz there goin on my dd so im not goin to be lowerin the **** out the car just go down more than it is n stilll have a good ride
Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by supercivic00
dam i just want them to ride good cuz there goin on my dd so im not goin to be lowerin the **** out the car just go down more than it is n stilll have a good ride
Progress CS-II or Koni/GC will suit your needs just fine. I guarantee they will last longer than KSport junk.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How are BC Racing compared to Ksport?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Ek Forever y0!

How are Cheap Flavor of the month Coilovers compared to Cheap flavor of the year Coilovers?
Fixed.

it's simple.

Cheap? Basically two options:

1) koni Srt + coilover sleeve or spring of your choice.

2) Progress CS-II

End of story.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How are BC Racing compared to Ksport?
I believe BC runs the factory that the Taiwanese coilovers are made in. That would make them the "house" brand using other people's specs/designs/etc.

Perhaps KSport can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong since they sponsor the Suspension Forum.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixed.

it's simple.

Cheap? Basically two options:

1) koni Srt + coilover sleeve or spring of your choice.

2) Progress CS-II

End of story.
You've almost got me convinced to go with Koni + GC but, how low are they able to go? It seems like they're the best set up for the money for a daily and even for some autocross or just spirited driving. How comfortable do they ride?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Ek Forever y0!

You've almost got me convinced to go with Koni + GC but, how low are they able to go? It seems like they're the best set up for the money for a daily and even for some autocross or just spirited driving. How comfortable do they ride?
Koni + GC is hands down the best bang for the buck. Period. Any price point. It's the most versatile combination there is for the price range.

Comfort is going to depend on what spring rates you get and if you can find the appropriate damping level for those particular rates.

All coilovers will go lower than you're willing to. Trust me.

When I installed my progress CS-II for the first time the car was ridicu-slammed. I immediately raised it up 2 inches and it's still tucking tire.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Koni + GC is hands down the best bang for the buck. Period. Any price point. It's the most versatile combination there is for the price range.

Comfort is going to depend on what spring rates you get and if you can find the appropriate damping level for those particular rates.

All coilovers will go lower than you're willing to. Trust me.

When I installed my progress CS-II for the first time the car was ridicu-slammed. I immediately raised it up 2 inches and it's still tucking tire.
Are the konis dampening adjustable? I haven't tried to find any yet but do you have to buy a certain damping level and then you're stuck with it unless you switch out the shock? Why spring rate do people usually go with on the GC coilovers? Its for a 99 gsr if it makes a difference.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes Koni Sport shocks have adjustable rebound damping. Take a look at the shock dyno thread stuck at the top of this forum.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PIC!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much r the csII

Quick Reply: which coilover's