Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Click noise from tie rod. How to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click noise from tie rod. How to fix it?

My DC makes a clicking noise on right turns. It doesn't matter if its a hard turn or a settle turn. The clicks will happen when my wheel is turned to a certain degree and more. I have lifted the car from the floor and felt the play from the wheel. The wheel wobbles left to right leading me believe that my steering tie rods are bad. When I wobble the wheel, the the play is coming from the tie rod going into the steering rack boot and out. So now that I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my steering tie rod, how do I go about and fix this problem?

edit: sorry if this is in the wrong section
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Click noise from tie rod. How to fix it?

are you talking about the inner or the outer tie rod? the inner should be inside the steering rack boot. the outer is attached to the knuckle.

the inner is hard to get at than the outer. it can be done with the rack attached to the car, just a lot more difficult and i honestly prefer to just take the rack out completely to get at the inner tie rod the right way.

to replace the outer just loosen the lock nut and pop off the tie rod and twist off and replace.

then be sure to get an alignment after.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make a special tool to remove the inner tie rod from the rack. It looks kind of like a big O2 sensor socket. Removing the rack seems like overkill just to change out a tie rod.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the balljoint housing size of the inner tie rod is extra big on an EF, it doesnt allow for the "special tool" to go over it. unless you are thinking of another tool.

they reduced the diameter in later civics and integras. (i thought we were in EF forum)
Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car makes some noise when i cut the wheel. I replaced 2 outer tie rod ends. Shortly after inspection this noise arose. Not a clicking but more like a loud crack. can not determine if it is both INNER rods. I plan on pulling the motor. This would be the time to do something like this. Problem is i dont know what the problem actually is. I noticed the Front LCA bracket looked like it was racked pretty hard? the bolt might not be in correct? Is this fixable or ruined
Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u get the boot off the inner tie rid you can take a 1 1/4 wrench to the inner tie rod and it will come off. i switched steering racks because i did no know any better, then when i was messing with the old steering rack i found that a 1 1/4 fits just fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean "cut the wheel?"

the only thing that could be wrong with tie rods is if they have too much play. you can check that yourself under the car. shake the suspension or have someone move the steering wheel and feel for play.

if you had some impact to your suspension, lots more could be wrong than just a bad control arm. like a cracked subframe or something. just gotta look yourself or pay someone to look, no definite answers over the internet.