Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Kumho Ecsta V710

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho Ecsta V710

Gee, interesting what you find on Tire Rack if you first search by Performance Category->Competition, then by size->205/50-15. Sort through the list and the V710 is expected in this size ~01/12/2004 for $133 a pop. I'm both thrilled and concerned with the first paragraph description...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...1=yes

ECSTA V710 radials are DOT-legal competition tires developed for drivers who want Kumho's highest level of performance for dry track conditions. Compared to the VictoRacer and ECSTA V700 tires, ECSTA V710 radials are designed to provide quicker “turn-in” response, as well as increased traction and cornering speeds. In addition to looking like pro-level racing tires, ECSTA V710 tires perform like them as well, trading longevity for performance. Achieving the best performance requires that fresh ECSTA V710 tires be used as their performance level will drop off after a typical race weekend’s use.

On the outside, the ECSTA V710 tires mold a high-grip tread compound (that runs with tread temperatures of around 250-degrees Fahrenheit when pushed to the limit) into an asymmetric tread design utilizing a “slick” tread surface with just two circumferential grooves on the inner half of the tread. This maximizes the rubber-to-road contact to increase grip. Beginning with a tread depth of 4/32-inch, they will not require shaving, however they will benefit from heat cycling before competition. On the inside, the ECSTA V710 features radial construction that uses two slightly angled nylon carcass plies (with one ply wrapping around the bead and returning high up the sidewall to provide three actual sidewall plies). The belt package consists of twin lightweight steel belts reinforced by a spirally wrapped circumferential nylon cap ply under the tread.

Kumho ECSTA V710 tires feature subtle black letters. They are W-speed rated and available in 50-, 45-, 40 and 35-series sizes for 15" to 18" wheel diameters

NOTES: While ECSTA V710 tires have an inflated shape with rounded shoulders to complement camber challenged cars, they still benefit from vehicle alignments that offer significant negative camber.

While Kumho ECSTA V710 radials meet DOT requirements, they are not appropriate for highway use as the expected miles of wear from their racing tread compounds is greatly reduced.

Kumho ECSTA V710 radials are planned to be introduced in a range of sizes during 2004. The following sizes are scheduled to become available in January. Prices will be established when tires become available.

Initial Sizes
205/50R-15
265/45R-16
275/40R-17
295/40R-17
315/30R-17
335/35R-17
315/35R-18

Old 01-05-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (XrcR6)

FYI, if you try to proceed with an order the dates change to 02/18/04 availability...
Old 01-06-2004, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe Vilven Tire has some in stock.

Jeremy
SSC: Kumho - Cobalt - Comptech
Old 01-06-2004, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (jpl95si)

that is a Hoosier clone, if ever i saw one.....
Old 01-06-2004, 05:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XrcR6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> trading longevity for performance. Achieving the best performance requires that fresh ECSTA V710 tires be used as their performance level will drop off after a typical race weekendÂ’s use. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hoosier now makes a more durable tire, and Kuhmo makes a 1 race tire. Go figure.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (elgorey)

i wonder how long until we can see some 14" sizes
Old 01-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (elgorey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elgorey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hoosier now makes a more durable tire, and Kuhmo makes a 1 race tire. Go figure. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (uncleben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncleben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wonder how long until we can see some 14" sizes</TD></TR></TABLE>
I wonder how long until we can see some 13" sizes
Old 01-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (Todd Reid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd Reid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is a Hoosier clone, if ever i saw one.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn straight skippy....now if we can only get the Hoosier performance, they might be worth saving the $40 per tire.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (dz-racing)

are 710's going to REPLACE the ECSTA and Victoracers? I mean, they are already offering both tires currently, if they ADD the new 710's to their lineup, i dont see any disappointment or reason to feel bad. even if they stop producing the Victoracers for the ECSTA, i still think Kumho is offering a complete competitive tire lineup, including the 712's for a good street tire class performance. Having this extra tire in the performance tire spectrum only brings the manufacturer competition up a notch.

Not to throw this thread into a different direction, but Hankook, the other Korean tire manufacturer, apparently from reading the newest edition of GRM is extremely serious about also bringing in a complete performance tire lineup. Although I distrust most things korean designed (being 2nd gen myself), I am hopeful that all this new interest in the performance tire market helps us race enthusiasts in the long run.

I think its a bit unreasonable to ask for the stickiest tires and longest lasting and cheaper than the rest. and i very understate "a bit".
Old 01-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (Tyson)

good points... hey, if it really does shave seconds off laptimes like the press release story said that was posted a few days ago, great- if it does it at a cost of something, well, that's to be expected.

-Ben, who wonders if the last line of Tyson's sig is at all directed to him, heh!
Old 01-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys go first. Last time I tried to give Kumhos a fair shake I left the deal slower, less confident and out about 6 bills.

Tires are another "two out of three" product.

Cheap
Fast
Long-wearing

Pick two.

Even Hoosier hasn't cracked the code with their 04s, as I don't consider any Hoosier "cheap..."
Old 01-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (uncleben)

lets see...if I want to be fast on these tires, I need to have a new set each weekend. Gee, that is just great.

sorry, had to do it.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are 710's going to REPLACE the ECSTA and Victoracers? </TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I heard the v700 Ecsta will go...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The V710 carries a V and Z rating and will be available in 24 different sizes in 2004. Consolacion said that KUMHO plans to slightly change the construction of the Victoracer to help keep it competitive and will eventually phase out the ECSTA V700.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

from http://www.kumhousa.com/News/News2003.asp
Old 01-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (civicrr)

you always sell the once-used qualifying tires to back markers... oh wait, i AM the back marker!

watkins, ah, well that kinda throws a wrench at my earlier point...
Old 01-06-2004, 04:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
watkins, ah, well that kinda throws a wrench at my earlier point... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry... ma mama always told me not to throw things... I just never listened.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 PM

I've gotten the impression that the Victoracers will continue and the Ecsta V700's will be phased out. So there will be a semi-wet weather/full tread option and they get rid of the model that did not have universal acceptance with a full slick/dry weather model.

I was a little concerned with the implication in the description that this is basically a one event tire now (aka A3S03), where the performance starts to fall off quicker. In addition to all the initial marketing hype/hersay from both manufacturers on their new models: Hoosier - stickier than earlier models, lasts longer, slight weight gain vs Kumho - up to Hoosier stickyness, but lasts as long as a Kumho.

But after thinking about it, if they can get to the level of the old Hoosier performance (with the associated wear) but drop the price by $40 (at least in this size) they've addressed the main Kumho vs Hoosier issue. It just remains to be seen what the new gap between the two new models will be.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (Watkinsm3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Watkinsm3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

From what I heard the v700 Ecsta will go...
from http://www.kumhousa.com/News/News2003.asp </TD></TR></TABLE>

"The new tire, called the ECSTA V710, joins the company's V700 Victoracer and ECSTA V700 as a DOT-approved competition tire."

This of course is only relevant if you believe what they say.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 01-06-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (rapid_roy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rapid_roy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This of course is only relevant if you believe what they say.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

While I'm not sure how much weight it carries.... considering it is from the manufacturer I believe it alot more then most of the hearsay from of the message boards.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (Watkinsm3)

well then the question remains how long until the ECSTA 700 is completely "phased out".
Old 01-07-2004, 04:37 AM

Kumho's press releasess:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ECSTA V710 will be Kumho's maximum performance race tire for maximum competitiveness. The Victoracer will remain in production for racers who want longer tire life and are willing to give up a little performance. Kumho will also continue to produce the sizes of the ECSTA V700 (V70A) that are not available in the Victoracer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and then...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The V710 carries a V and Z rating and will be available in 24 different sizes in 2004. Consolacion said that KUMHO plans to slightly change the construction of the Victoracer to help keep it competitive and will eventually phase out the ECSTA V700. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XrcR6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gee, interesting what you find on Tire Rack if you first search by Performance Category-&gt;Competition, then by size-&gt;205/50-15. Sort through the list and the V710 is expected in this size ~01/12/2004 for $133 a pop. I'm both thrilled and concerned with the first paragraph description...

[/I] </TD></TR></TABLE>

Already in my possesion I will be running them at the National at Moroso next weekend. BTW no yellow letters, they changed their mind and dropped the yellow which sucks cuz I thought it was cool

Modified by RacinmySi at 9:37 PM 1/9/2004
Old 01-09-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Kumho Ecsta V710 (RacinmySi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacinmySi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Already in my possesion I will be running them at the National at Moroso next weekend. BTW no yellow letters, they changed their mind and dropped the yellow which sucks cuz I thought it was cool </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, they brought that page live the day after I created this thread. Usually they are pretty conservative on the avail. dates on new stuff, which is good. I just got confirmation of shipment out of Nevada, so I should have my set by next Tuesday. Plenty O'Time before my first event.

While the yellow was kinda cool, I like the new font/design on the sidewall too. I figured that old pic of the yellow letters was from a prototype, prior to the final mold design and wouldn't stay around. Basically spray paint/stencil on a smooth sidewall like a Goodyear Eagle slick.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XrcR6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, they brought that page live the day after I created this thread. Usually they are pretty conservative on the avail. dates on new stuff, which is good. I just got confirmation of shipment out of Nevada, so I should have my set by next Tuesday. Plenty O'Time before my first event.

While the yellow was kinda cool, I like the new font/design on the sidewall too. I figured that old pic of the yellow letters was from a prototype, prior to the final mold design and wouldn't stay around. Basically spray paint/stencil on a smooth sidewall like a Goodyear Eagle slick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They weren't really prototypes, but someone pulled the plug on the yellow. It was in the plans long ago The first set I ever saw had kinda sloppy spray paint but after that and in the tech center the ones I saw were definately more professional looking. I liked the yellow, oh well.

BTW there is a national this weekend and open testing at Sebring Thursday and Friday and the Kumho drivers are on the new stuff and at the front. The "other" guys are considering buying them to have a chance Tomorrow is qualifying and should tell the story...
Old 01-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Saw these tires back in Kumho Super Challenge in 2003's summer. Maybe u guys can also log on to http://www.vcmc.ca coz and see if there's any further info up there?

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta V710