Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Health insurance and racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Health insurance and racing?

I recently bumped into someone at work who happened to ask the question: If you get hurt at the race track will it be covered by insurance? My immediate response was well car insurance no, but health insurance yes. I researched this a little more and it appears that more and more HMO's are placing exclusions in there policies for anything they call above "normal" risks. Do racers need a seperate insurance policy? What about life insurance?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Health insurance and racing? (VTECAcuraGSR)

I noticed when I signed up for my health/life-insurance policies at work, (I think it was through Aflac) there was a section I could choose that was basically called "X-treme insurance" or something- it was for people who play extreme sports and do motorsports and such. I checked yes to that box, it wasn't much more to my insurance costs a month. I could probably get more details if you want, our company is actually changing health plans in December, so I'll have to check up on that again.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Health insurance and racing? (VTECAcuraGSR)

Jeremy, in Club Racing under the SCCA, you are covered for something like $100k individual coverage for medical and ST disability. I do not know if this coverage carries over to Solo I/II. I am under the impression that NASA Pro Racing leaves the determination for individual medical and ST disability to the region hosting the event (I am still somewhat unclear to what extent and as I was not racing with NASA this year I didn't pursue). I do not know about Car Guys/BMWCCA/PCA/POC and other groups and/or their coverage for HPDE. What I found while investigating this around May of this year was that additonal ST/LT disability insurance will either provide you a separate policy to cover such things as auto-racing, skydiving, scuba diving, etc ... Most agencies I spoke with said that such activities would be exclusions from their coverage or if covered, would carry with it a significantly higher premium. I do not think your typical ST/LT insurance will cover something that happens in those "high risk" environments - of-course provided its not overly evident what you were doing, it is entirely possible that "happened in a car accident" will forgo any additional questions.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Health insurance and racing? (phat-S)

You probably need to ask your insurance company. I know when I got supplemental life insurance at work I asked, and they specifically said that motorsports was OK. Smoking was their only concern...

Scott
Old 11-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are an SCCA member, you are covered for SCCA sanctioned events. It works in addition to whatever insurance you already have. So they just cover whatever your regular insurance doesn't, up to a set limit (which is pretty high).
Old 11-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Weston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Smoking was their only concern</TD></TR></TABLE>

...and should be a big concern, smoking is about the stupidest thing you can do to yourself. Ranks right up there with street racing IMO.