Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

a bonehead showed up at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a bonehead showed up at the track

A condensed version of a single person causing multiple problems. (a repost with edits) This was a tradegic comedy of errors by one person. I had to repost it here.

BTW I am not trying to bash or single out any clubs, orgs, sanc. bodies... Enjoy.

There was this guy in a yellow rx7 that ran in both group 1 and 5 under itx (or pro7) and ita. first lap he comes in late behind the pack and just blows it, locks up and ends up in the gravel pit. didnt even turn. pace car comes out and truck pulls him out. track is back on green and he comes back and blows it again!
(found out later he even blew it on the warm up lap at turn 11, which is why he was behind the pack, glad he wasnt behind anyone else, this time... more on that later)

He put his car in the same friggin tire marks in the dirt from the previous lap. The pacecar comes out and they tow him out. this time they tell him to park it. so he just drives to the exit of the turn and stops near the wall on drivers right. (btw, the story isnt even half over) so we see him taking off his helmet and getting out of the car. then he just stands there, pacing around the car. so we try to tell him to get behind the wall thru an opening of the k walls. He couldnt hear us too well (not for lack of trying and close distance) and wasnt very receptive to our arms flailing. so we see him walking back into the car (no helmet), then he starts to MOVE the car, huh? then he actaully turns the car around, almost getting back on track, which is HOT at this point. He has the car pointed in the opposite direction of the track, then he actually drives his car into the opening of the k wall. hmm, ok, not exactly what we wanted, but that will do we think. then the man, gets out of the car, and walks back in front of the wall. we dont know what the hell this guy is thinking, nor what he thinks we're telling him. i think finally he gets it, and starts walking around for a while in the in field. race is over and a tow is on its way. this guy is just clueless because he actually moves the car further into the k wall which makes it harder for the tow truck to get him out. anyway, so he wasted like half of group 1's session. Then, we see him again for group 5. and guess what? he does the same friggin thing AGAIN! and this time he took a another car's rear bumper out. Its as if he doesnt know how to turn or brake.
Later i heard him coming, he slowed down and I thought he could actually do this turn for once, then at the apex you start to hear the tires getting worked, like normal, then he just LOCKS UP and slides off track again. so i guess he knows the deal now, and just drives off track and back into the kwall, for some dumb reason. Its quite funny, because he actually was scraping his car against the wall as he wedged himself in. then he figured out this hole wasnt the one he was situated in before, so he drives BACKWARDS to move the car into the next hole, and hes making pock parts of yellow against the wall! then wedges himself again, then comes out of the car, we tell him again to move to the back of the wall, he puts his hand to his ear to hear us better over the incoming FULL RACING CARS and actually starts to STEP CLOSER as if to overcome the noise and hear us better. The three of us at the flag station had it with this guy. Our communicator filed an official protest against the guy.
He actually got his race license from some private school in Las Vegas, so he never did SCCA before. He had issues getting his car thru tech and had some problem with losing his glasses so he never did practice or qualify. He wasnt even registered for group 5, so he shouldnt have been out there the second time anyway. The official action was extended suspension and he has to complete a SCCA school to even think about racing with us again. I feel bad for everyone who did the group 5 and 1 combo because they got double whammied with this Another repost of the same subject
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was quite a bit of "talk" about that driver. Apparently he was a graduate of the another school, and that qualified him for an SCCA license. One of the stewards took out a GCR, and asked this gentleman if he could identify it. He said "what's that?"
Needless to say, when he HIT the Safety Steward's car in impound, that things got REAL interesting.

Too bad our medical folks don't do urine, blood alcolol or sobriety testing as part of normal SCCA operations!

Old 08-06-2002, 02:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track (ITACivic)

wow......i would have be irrate to say the least!
Old 08-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uhhh.....

Old 08-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what was his problem? and why did they let him continue his runs???
Old 08-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track (frogsr)

i was the one who wrote most of the above testimony actually. it was at laguna seca and i was flagging turn 2 (andretti hairpin). well, he somehow slipped thru to group 5 pregrid when he wasnt registered for. im not sure what went wrong, but he didnt get to practice or qualify so he was at the back of the grid anyway. but its normal to do group 1 and 5 for extra track time.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track (Tyson)

What a goobahead!
Old 08-07-2002, 04:40 AM

Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track (CivicSiRacer)

He actually got his race license from some private school in Las Vegas
Derek Daly Academy perhaps?
Old 08-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track (elgorey)

yeah, thats the one. i thought i heard someone saying the guy in question said the school told him was "fast".
Old 08-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track

While I was working an event at Mid-Ohio. The son of a well known sportscar racer got in his car and proceeded to drive down pit road counter race, exited thru pit in and got all the around to just before madness before they could get him stopped. We had just started the session so fortunately the first car out the proper direction hadnt made it that far yet, we had red flags waving everywhere.

The guy was in LALA Land, I tried to stop him he drove right by and then never noticed me in his rearview mirror as I was sprinting behind him arms waving, screaming at him and into my radio. At registration. the driver was adament about not needing an instructor ride with him. Yeah right!!

Old 08-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good story

Glad no one was hurt.

His name wasn't Phil was it....
Old 08-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More and more I'm noticing that there's more people (not only in the racing world, either) that have absolutely no common sense than I ever could've imagined. I wonder how lots of these folks make it just through day-to-day activities.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:27 PM

Default Re: a bonehead showed up at the track (Mike P.)

...I wonder how lots of these folks make it just through day-to-day activities.
Many eventually don't. Evolution in action. Unfortunately, they have a nasty habit of taking others with them.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WHAT A 'TARD / i would be pissed if I were there and some dude wasted everyone's time like that
Old 08-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont feel bad but on a really hot summer day at Pocono I finally got in there early enough to get a spot in the paddock up until some green group bonehead pulled his bling bling shiny wheel M3 into my spot while I was on the track and left it there...even though it was packed with my tools tires and other track related stuff.
He did get an earful since he left it there and never came back for 2 sessions.