Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

paint valve cover without stripping it down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint valve cover without stripping it down?

ok i got a valve cover in great shape no peeling of the original paint at all. i want to keep it with the wrinkle look. do you think it is ok if i just paint over the original wrinkle black? i want to paint it white. my only concern is that maybe the paint wont stick onto the original wrinkle black paint on the valve cover. any suggestion on what i can do in order to make this happen? or is my only choice is to strip it down and paint it white.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 AM

Default Re: paint valve cover without stripping it down?

Why white? It would just get dirty and you wont be able to clean it, with that texture on the valve cover. Anyways you need to strip it if you painting it. Painting over it will end up peeling off later and look like crap.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will my car is white so i just want a matching color valve cover. dont want red cuz if i did i would of just bought a type r one.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM

If you want white, then i suggest stripping it and paint it white. It will look like a regular white paint job and shining. This will help you to easily keep it clean. Like i said before. the wrinkle texture would be a bitch to clean, if white. I hope i can help, I hope someone else can chime in. And see if it can be done.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion I wouldn't do white. It does get dirty and would be hard to clean with the wrinkle finish. IF you do decide you want white and wrinkle it can easily be done. You simply strip the entire cover (the old one is probably saturated with oil deep down and the paint will never stick properly) then prep it by a light sand and wipe with mineral oil or alcohol. Then paint it with either black or red wrinkle paint (all I have seen it in) and let it dry for about 30 min. Then spray over it with the color of your choice. I did this when a guy was wanting a Accord Euro look alike valve cover in a lavender color. Here is a sample I did for him to show him what the finish product would look like. Sorry none of the actual cover.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PS: Keep in mind that was a spare ECU cover I had to test on and had no prep work at all. Also if you do white I would recommend clear coating it quite a few time to have the wrinkle look, but a smoothish surface you will be able to clean.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
PS: Also if you do white I would recommend clear coating it quite a few time to have the wrinkle look, but a smoothish surface you will be able to clean.
very true it could turn yellow over time if you dont