Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint

So im looking to get my 93 civ ex repainted black but honestly i dont have that kind of money to get a show status paint job. I was thinking about resorting to getting the spray on paint job. How durable would the paint be how long would it last and would it look good is all i really want to know. thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Re: paint (ThEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was thinking about resorting to getting the spray on paint job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure if I understand the question, all paint is sprayed on, with the exception of a few automakers, nothing aftermarket. Are you asking if you can Krylon your car, and how that will hold up?

Kirk R
Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Re: paint (KRock459)

well really nice paint is like 5grand+ and this one quick spray on stuff is like 800 or so and im not sure how nice it wil look
Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont mean to be rude but where the hell are u going to be paying 5k+ for a paint job and a honda??? u shoulldnt pay mor ethen 2k for a good paint job
Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 PM

Depends on the type of paint obviously, who's spraying it and the conditions you're spraying in. You're not going to get the same finish as a baked on job that's been sprayed by a professional with a professional gun. However, if you do it correctly, and perhaps wet sand a bit (a lot) it you might be able make it look pretty clean. Research the proper technique to avoid getting orange peel or drips in your finish. Doing it in a clean, well lit booth will help you avoid getting airborne debris in the paint and will help you see any small flaws. Checking things in bright sunlight also helps detect any flaws. Remember, it's all in the tiny details.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can save some money if you do some of the prep work yourself. If you don't have an air compressor, I don't think their is too much you can do though. If you want the paint done right you will have to pay more, around here $1.5-2k would get you a pretty damn good paint job. You want flex additive on flexible plastic parts. You also want adhesion promoter on plastic/fiberglass parts. You want a paint that you can buff, like a urethane base coat/clear coat system. Urethane also lasts the longest. You also don't want overspray between your jambs and on the glass or rubber. So if you take it to a good shop they won't give you a messy paint job.

Look at some cars in the shop's parking lot, or others you can find that they've done, try and look up a review for bodyshops around your area. If you've got all the time in the world and a small amount of money, you can try to do a roll or brush on application and wet sand that. I have seen a magazine article about some Ford Fairlane or something that these people painted with a small roller and I think a few brushes? Anyways, it looked unbeliviebly nice and only cost them around $100 bucks. The secret is in the preparation and wet sanding and buffing when you're finished. and if you want some real help........
GIVE US SOME PICS!
GL
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (therotaryrocket)

Moved from CRX/EF Forum