Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

i need Help on how to paint my EJ2 COUPPE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need Help on how to paint my EJ2 COUPPE!!

i wanted to paint my ej2 all champ white even the moldings................i was wondering how to paint the front and back black plastic bumpers, am i supposed to sand them too like the rest of the car or just primer paint them as is? same question on painting the moldings...........some one pleaze help, im gonna start sanding it tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need Help on how to paint my EJ2 COUPPE!!

Originally Posted by EJ2GOON
i wanted to paint my ej2 all champ white even the moldings................i was wondering how to paint the front and back black plastic bumpers, am i supposed to sand them too like the rest of the car or just primer paint them as is? same question on painting the moldings...........some one pleaze help, im gonna start sanding it tomorrow.
get a red or gray scuff pad and scuff them, how shiny are the bumpers? are they new unpainted or are they painted?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGcivic_95
get a red or gray scuff pad and scuff them, how shiny are the bumpers? are they new unpainted or are they painted?
they are kinda used Unpainted bumpers, they look like the black polyurethane front lips that you can buy online............should i still sand them?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they are kinda used Unpainted bumpers, they look like the black polyurethane front lips that you can buy online............should i still sand them?
well if it a shiny black and looks like clear coat then sand them and you have to put adhesion promoter on them if they are dull black then just scuff them and paint.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if it a shiny black and looks like clear coat then sand them and you have to put adhesion promoter on them if they are dull black then just scuff them and paint.
they are a dull black, by scuff do you mean kinda scratch?..........and should i paint those primer also or just go ahead and paint it the color i want?.....................and is it the same **** for the moldings on the side?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they are a dull black, by scuff do you mean kinda scratch?..........and should i paint those primer also or just go ahead and paint it the color i want?.....................and is it the same **** for the moldings on the side?

you really should put sealer on them but primer works also and yes do the same with the moldings
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would use a grey scuff pad, red it too abrasive for soft plastics. You dont need to use a sealer because your not doing any body work on it. Clean the crap out of the plastics before and after scuffing them with rubbing alcohol or any other wax/grease cleaner. Those are the most important steps to insure the primer has something to bit into, and that the paint wont fish eye when the base is sprayed.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do use a sealer, make sure you spray a high build after... the plastic is going to have lots of stone marks and other imperfections. Sealer is not meant to be sanded or used to fix small imperfections.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aight then, thank you guys!!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Frase_civic
I would use a grey scuff pad, red it too abrasive for soft plastics. You dont need to use a sealer because your not doing any body work on it. Clean the crap out of the plastics before and after scuffing them with rubbing alcohol or any other wax/grease cleaner. Those are the most important steps to insure the primer has something to bit into, and that the paint wont fish eye when the base is sprayed.
well weather you do body work on it or not you still should spray a sealer on it not just paint it. and when its repaired you prime it then seal it. and if the bumper has imperfections you should fix them weather sand them out or sand and fill depending on the level of damage. you dont spray primer on the sealer because once the sealer is sprayed you can not sand it and if you spray primer on it with out being sanded then you will have adhesion problems. thats what we did in votech, college, and now at the shop i work at. you wont have any problems if so just pm me. ill help you out
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well weather you do body work on it or not you still should spray a sealer on it not just paint it. and when its repaired you prime it then seal it. and if the bumper has imperfections you should fix them weather sand them out or sand and fill depending on the level of damage. you dont spray primer on the sealer because once the sealer is sprayed you can not sand it and if you spray primer on it with out being sanded then you will have adhesion problems. thats what we did in votech, college, and now at the shop i work at. you wont have any problems if so just pm me. ill help you out

when i say body im referring to bare metal, the bumper has no bare metal... a sealer is not needed in this situation. just use a high build primer after the surface is prepped/repaired. Obviously the primer isn't used to fix large imperfections, you use a high build on a bumper because there is going to be lots of minuscule damage that you just cant see. especially if he went and used a red scuff pad lol
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the job, i would like to do mine bit will most defo mess it up.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do use a sealer, make sure you spray a high build after... the plastic is going to have lots of stone marks and other imperfections. Sealer is not meant to be sanded or used to fix small imperfections.
and my bad, I meant to say it the other way around
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any one know what kinda red this is?>>>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/...100ee6be_o.jpg

im thinking about painting it that color instead or a Rallye Red.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well your best bet is to find out the year make and model of that car which looks like mercades. and find out the colors they used.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any one know what kinda red this is?>>>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/...100ee6be_o.jpg

im thinking about painting it that color instead or a Rallye Red.
thats a nice color, not sure if thats a stock color or not... do what egcivic95 said and check into the car.... if not maybe try to sign up for flickr and ask the guy who took the shot about it to get more info...

good luck
Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a nice color, not sure if thats a stock color or not... do what egcivic95 said and check into the car.... if not maybe try to sign up for flickr and ask the guy who took the shot about it to get more info...

good luck
im deciding to paint my ej all Matte or Satin Black instead........not sure if it's "ricer", but i like that kind of flat black look.................any one get any good tips on painting it that color?......im gonna post my ride soon of how it is right now.