Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

fiberglass wide body kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass wide body kit

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with a black widow 12-piece body kit for a CRX. I recently picked one up and want to get as much of it installed own my own before taking it to a body shop. It defiantly trys your patience if you’ve never done something like this before. The parts are not an exact fit and I believe I had the front bumper on and off at least a dozen times before I was content with how it lined up (a lot of shaving of excess fiberglass). The fenders weren’t too bad. Actually, they are probably the easiest part. I’m working my way back and this is where I start running into some uncertainty. For the door panels, do I put them over the existing sheet metal or do I remove the sheet metal? I’d like to remove what’s there to keep it as light as possible, but will doing so impede on the doors structural integrity? My next question is in regards to the quarter panels. Since this kit is a wide body kit the gas tank lid needs to be moved. Again, can I remove the sheet metal and use panel glue and just the fiberglass quarter panel, or do I have to go over the existing panel? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I am assuming I can have some tubing welded to the fuel tank fill line to make up the gap. Lastly, the kit didn’t come with a fuel lid. Does anyone know where I can get aftermarket fuel doors or would I be better off just fabricating something out of fiberglass? Any advise, if you have worked with this kit or not, would be greatly appreciated. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the only kit that would present these issues I am trying to resolve so any feedback would be helpful
Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (loumacri07)

you either fabricate it or.... close the tank door and relocate it inside your trunk
Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (luigiliz7)

i have seen a few of those that the guys didnt have a fuel door. they left the openning there. the fiberglass mounts to the outsideof the existing metal panels. you will grind off the metal about an inch over and under where the kit will touch the panel. will have to get some pictures of my friends 300z i am working on now.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (jrmtegra)

on this one, you have to cut the wheel openings over the rear wheels and bend them up to make clearance for the new ones. i will get some more recent pics up soon.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:06 AM

i have most of that kit. ill tell u now its a bitch and i wish it was never on the car. the fiber glass looks wavy at diff angles and no matter how long i work on it there is still waves.. if the car didnt come with it half way riveted on i would have ripped it all off.. especially since its all molded.. the fender flares are wavy lookin and no matter how good of a paint job i put on it its still makes the car look weird.. i spent about 30 hrs so far on fixing it and it still needs more.. just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the pics, and the advice. I'll keep checking in to see how it come out. As for it looking wavy, It's just going to take some finess. I don't mind the extra the headache as long as the final product looks good. anything done right takes time. it's not my daily driver so I'm not in need of it immediately.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:46 AM

as long as you bondo and fiberglass work are done right, and you prime it, block it, prime, block, prime, block........you get the picture, you should be ok. if there are waves in the fiberglass panel itself, you either need to prime it heavily or actually apply some body filler and block it down. if the area were you applied the fiberglass or whatever you attached it to the car with is wavy, them that means you didnt get it right there either.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Location: Ghost riding my grandmamas whip YEP, Los Angeles Cali

that looks fun good luck
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 PM

ahh. the good old black widow kit.
i remember doing this kit almost 4 years ago, and there only being 2 sold in canada, one we had and the other was in B.C.

anywho the kit was a big headache but turned out ok, yeah as for the waves it was corrected but took a while and wasn't too easy when you have others hangin over you doing the motor swap at the same time.

we actually moulded everything except the front bumper, we left that solo just incase of any mishaps.

but all it all it is a very sharp looking kit when fully completed and painted.
i have a done pick here in my porfolio i will scan tomorrow and paste up here.
p.s. it looks kinda gay tho cause the kid never got his wheels spacers yet.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id cut away allmost all of the 1/4 panel just leaveinf enough for moveing while fitting . ,like a few inches .

So get it all in place remove and cut away .this is what i would do ;shrugs

as for the fuel door check out my integra build (link in my sig).I did something pretty neat i think that might be an option for you .

It was pretty easy to do and only took a bit of welding expletive it here is a few pics (still working on the light though haha)

good luck bud
Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (phatboycrxhf)

buddy of mine also had this kit on his rex, he modified alot of it but he used a sparco fueldoor and it looked great.

here's a pic that I have on my computer. I have better ones of the fuel door but there on a cd somewhere so I have to search for it.

I hope you can see the fuel door enough. I look for the better ones tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (honda-boy)

thats a nice lookin one. if mine looked half that nice i would have left it. but all i left on was the front rear , sides and flares.. too much work and time for me .. im more interested in the speed..
Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (97grnrs)

Old 12-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (phatboycrxhf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phatboycrxhf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id cut away allmost all of the 1/4 panel just leaveinf enough for moveing while fitting . ,like a few inches .

So get it all in place remove and cut away .this is what i would do ;shrugs

as for the fuel door check out my integra build (link in my sig).I did something pretty neat i think that might be an option for you .

It was pretty easy to do and only took a bit of welding expletive it here is a few pics (still working on the light though haha)

good luck bud </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's pretty creative for the fuel door location, but I'm not trying to get that wild. I like your creativity though. I hope it works out for you. keep the pics coming, i'de like to follow your progess.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda-boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buddy of mine also had this kit on his rex, he modified alot of it but he used a sparco fueldoor and it looked great.

here's a pic that I have on my computer. I have better ones of the fuel door but there on a cd somewhere so I have to search for it.

I hope you can see the fuel door enough. I look for the better ones tomorrow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is pretty much exactly what I am looking for! I can kind of see it. The kit I have is a bit different, but the doors and quarter panels are the same. Do you recall how your buddy extended the fuel tube, and if he removed the original quarter panels or used panel bond over the ones that are there? I can see the importance of going over the door skins since they are heavy and not a fixed item which could cause alignment problems down the road, but I don't see this to be the case for the quarter panels.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by loumacri07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is pretty much exactly what I am looking for! I can kind of see it. The kit I have is a bit different, but the doors and quarter panels are the same. Do you recall how your buddy extended the fuel tube, and if he removed the original quarter panels or used panel bond over the ones that are there? I can see the importance of going over the door skins since they are heavy and not a fixed item which could cause alignment problems down the road, but I don't see this to be the case for the quarter panels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is a black widow wide body kit but like I said he changed quite alot of it to his own taste because there were a couple of other guys here who had the same kit and he wanted to stand out from the crowd.
I'll ask him if he has some pictures while it's under construction. that might help you.
I know that he only used the top of the doorpanels and worked that wide part on his original doors. there were to many waves in the fiberglass panel so he only used the top.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:15 PM

How difficult was the tail light conversion?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty straight forward, he hade the most problems with making the spoiler and with his door because it kept rubbing the front fender when he opened them.

here are some more pics of it ;-)

I mailed him about the under construction pics but I didn't get an answer yet. If I do I'll send them your way ;-)
Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fiberglass wide body kit (E-Rok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Rok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the new pics. The car looks sweet. gives me more motivation to get done my hatch so that I can get back to the body work. on the CRX. if you get any more pics or any more info, I'm all ears. in the meantime, here's what I'm currently working with.......
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]