Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Stuck in W Texas!: 01 Odyssey Tran Prob

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Stuck in W Texas!: 01 Odyssey Tran Prob

If anybody can help save what has started out as a vacation lost I'd REALLY appreciate it. We've just limped into El Paso on our way to California with 3 very sad kids so it is truly desperation time.

Somewhere on I10 300+ miles out of San Antone the transmission disengages from the engine and suddenly we had transmission oil spewing under the hood - lots of nice smoke as it hit the hot engine.

Let it cool - check tran level - looked very low - got some in from half full bottle.

Limped into Ft. Stockton - loaded up on the right ATF transmission fluid - and put it in.

The "check engine" and " TCS" light is on which I know is a transmission error message.

Worked hard to keep the RPMs low and steady - little to no shifting - an hour or so later same story - fluid flies and transmission starts to slip.

This time south of El Paso I discover that there is a small rubber hose that comes UP (toward the hood) that was laying limp and disconnected. It looks like it should be connected and I believe was the source of the spewing ATF.

Any ideas?

Further notes:

Prior to the trip I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter + did a simple drain and replace of the coolant.

Am wondering about the coolant change and if it might have mucked with the ability of the radiator to cool the transmission.

Tommorrow AM is the truth or consequences decision point - forward through the lower hotter desert or back home. Risk vs. disapointment and naturally this is Memorial day weekend.

thanks!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Stuck in W Texas!: 01 Odyssey Tran Prob

location of that loose rubber hose.

if facing the van on the right side (battery side) I look down and see the ATF input nut.

This upward facing hose is about 4-5 inches forward and outward. Towards the battery.

The unconnected end I found UNDER a heater water hose that went from engine block towards the firewall. It was also under a black L shaped electrical connector combo piece.

Hopefully this helps
Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck in W Texas!: 01 Odyssey Tran Prob

You're sure the tranny fluid is coming from that hose? Because my hunch (which is only a hunch) is that the torque converter seal went out on you.

Did/Have you had the tranny recall work done? Are you going to attempt to do this yourself or have the shop do it? Odds are, any major work will cost a bit more than the van is really worth. Sad but true.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck in W Texas!: 01 Odyssey Tran Prob

Yes we did have a major overhaul done last year. Had to take it back more than once which they took care of for free but it did not instill confidence.

thanks for the reply - we are turning back - no point risking things especially when we hit the heat of the day from Phoenix onward