Notices
Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

new shop in Auburn, WA? need input please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shop in Auburn, WA? need input please

I am throwing around the idea of opening a shop in Auburn, WA. I will be a stocking manufacturer rep, meaning if you are out looking for that aftermarket performance, suspension, or dress up part, I would actually have it in stock. I get so tired of going to most of the shops in my area to pick something up and 9 times out of ten the part usually has to be ordered. I have a great relationship w/ a few distributors, that would allow me to keep a large amount of your more high demand products in stock. I would also provide installation of any item I sell.

I'm writing this in order to get an idea of what type of parts would the average honda enthusiast like to have readily available.

Please give me some ideas on which parts you think would be good to keep on hand, as I am in the beginning stages of putting together a business plan.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new shop in Auburn, WA? need input please

Why don't you tell us first which distributors you have great relationships with. and we'll tell you if those are wanted/needed pieces.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think stuff like intakes, exhausts, coilovers, lips, aluminum radiators, short shifters, camber kits, hids, rotas. those will probably sell off the shelves pretty quick.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I'd consider opening the shop elsewhere maybe up north like kirkland or lynwood because theres a lot of shops doing the same thing and more around your area.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi!

WOW....

If you do end up opening up a shop like this and sell products at great prices, I'll be at your shop to pay in cash.

Typical parts that are hot:

-Koni yellows shocks/ Ground Control Coilovers, Tein suspension, Buddy Club, etc

-Complete engine swaps.

-Brembo, Wilwood brake kits.

-JDM parts: gauge cluster, seats, lights, OEM wheels, etc.

-Custom roll cage fabrication (maybe work with customers and seeing what they can afford and plan on doing to the car).

-The typical bolt on parts: Turbocharger kit, supercharger kit, intake, chipped ecu, exhaust, etc.

But Auburn is kind of a crappy location. Try to locate where the area will get more business such as Seattle or Bellevue. An area that is considered in-between of everything.

If you plan on being down in Auburn, I might as well swing by Intec Racing in Kent.

Hope my opinion counts because it will definitely bring you business...
Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I have looked at several different locations, and I'm trying to keep the cost of a lease down a bit, and Auburn has several nice store fronts that have resonable rates. I am only beginning to work on this, I have secured the capital to get started. I will be working with several distributors that sell parts from manufacturers like...skunk 2, dc, function, kw, vis, rota, blox, obx, asr, benen, apexi, greddy, and a host of others.
A couple people posted that they would just go to intec, well that's what I'm going to keep from happening, as intec is one of the shops I have visited to get a "common" part and was told it would have to be ordered.
My pricing would be on par w/ what you might expect to pay on ebay, but I will have it in stock. No shipping fees, no wondering if you are getting the part you actually want etc.
Thank you very much for the input, and please keep it coming, as things are going right now, I plan on opening doors in the first qtr of 2011.
And of course I will be hosting cruise ins on the weekends, and special discounts for honda-tech members.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi!

Nice. I'm excited to see this shop open up.

Be sure to have a BBQ on opening day!!

Nothing is better than getting to know your own customers!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sounds like a bad *** idea. put it into action
Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, my shop will be in Auburn, I'm going to look at the store and possibly sign the lease. A tenant is there now and will be moving out in march of 2011. I'm excited, and look forward to helping everyone out with their needs. Even though its obvious I will cater to the honda/acura crowd, I do plan on carrying at least something for nissans too.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what end of auburn?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should have a garage there
then you can help people with their cars
Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome idea man
always happy to see people bringing positive ideas. wish u the best.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff! The parts that k series said would def be quick sellers. ASR,BLOX, skunk2 would be easy to sell.If you sell it 10 bucks cheaper, you'll have a few more customers than the other shops. As long as the service is excellent, you won't have a problem having long term customers.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this sounds like an awesome idea. if u were to make a decal of ur shop i wouldnt mind rocking it as a moving billboard
Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!

The shop has (2) bays, and a small office, I'm going to use one of the bays as a showroom, and the other as my "warehouse" lol. I have secured a relationship with www.pmdistributing.com, they carry all the good stuff, and I just received my pricing book from them, they stock everything they sell. Pricing is awesome!

I'm not trying to make tons of money off of this, I would be happy just to cover my expenses such as, lease, utility bills, and advertising with my sells.

I am a full time mechanical engineer, and I will continue working full time doing so.

I have a good friend in mind to run the shop, and my girlfriend will run the day to day operations.

Looking to open in the first qtr of 2011.

OH and my shop will be located close to 277 and Auburn Way S. Don't want to give an address yet, myself and the owner have not come to terms on the lease as of yet.

Thanks!!

Be on the lookout for GRAVITY MOTORSPORTS
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweeet. Def gona check out.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a really good idea!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

am i smelling an GRAND OPENING GET TOGETHER?! ;D
Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a tool I wish that any auto stores would keep in stock. http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...2587885&sr=1-1

I went to several Autozones and Shucks to see if they carry it. None of them did but every store I talked to said they get asked for it all the time and they don't understand why they don't carry it.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CrashAndBurn
Here is a tool I wish that any auto stores would keep in stock. http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...2587885&sr=1-1

I went to several Autozones and Shucks to see if they carry it. None of them did but every store I talked to said they get asked for it all the time and they don't understand why they don't carry it.
shoot if they had that it would make life soo much easier! my friend had to ask his uncle at the shop to borrow it for a couple of hrs so we could pull apart a ls motor
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck to you my friend. Even though Auburn is an awkward location, I think its decent since you will get to attract the people that live up in the mountains and the other side.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming this is the crank pulley too if so yes I will have this and a few other honda specific tools on hand.

Originally Posted by CrashAndBurn

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update, gravity motorsports will be a stocking manufacturers rep for invidia, nrg, k&n, greddy, and ksport. In a nut shell, any other shops selling any of these manufacturers will have to purchase from me. However I was told that the local shops even though their representation for these manufacturers in this state has been poor, there will be one shop for sure that will retain their access to these parts but their pricing will not hardly compare to me.

I have signed my rep agreement with these manufacturers, and WAIT FOR IT WAIT FOR IT, I also signed a rep contract with ROTA, I will stock these wheels.

Man for years people have told me to do this, and its so exciting that my dream is coming true.

I will be opened up in March, grand opening party, and cruise in.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and for anyone that would want to do something like opening up a retail shop, there is soooo much hurdles, legalitys, zoning, and **** tons of other stuff needed to be done before you can even get your license, it has been trying at times but most of the legal jargon is about done, I am still searching for better pricing on insurance, and a bond, so if anyone of you know a commercial insurance/bonding guy let me know. Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gravity73
Just a little update, gravity motorsports will be a stocking manufacturers rep for invidia, nrg, k&n, greddy, and ksport. In a nut shell, any other shops selling any of these manufacturers will have to purchase from me.
I don't know who told you this, but not true. Competition Specialties, in Auburn actually, is the biggest K&N distributor in the PNW...Eibach and many other names also.

Quick Reply: new shop in Auburn, WA? need input please