Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block

Well, I recently got my new toy in the mail -- Osram Nightbreaker H4's. These are the latest (and from what I've seen, greatest) thing to come out of E-Code lighting.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Osram &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With its new NIGHT BREAKER™ family of lamps, OSRAM is breaking records for the power and colour of headlights. Compared with standard lamps, they shine up to 90 % more light on the road and produce 10 % whiter light. Their maximum performance make NIGHTBREAKER™ lamps particularly attractive for active and safety-conscious drivers. Improved illumination of the road provides optimum visibility and therefore optimum safety. NIGHT BREAKER™ lamps also make driving more comfortable. Drivers find the whiter light stronger and more pleasant than ordinary light, which is of great benefit on long journeys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Available for purchase @ Powerbulbs -- £23.99
http://www.powerbulbs.com/prod...od=111

These bulbs are stellar, let me tell you. They're quite equal, if not a hair bluer, to the Philips X-Treme Power +80% on the low beam. On the high beam is where they really shine. They are SIGNIFICANTLY brighter than anything I've ever used, even the X-Treme Power. The output is very nice and white, a tad bluish though. Even so, the spread of the light and the distance is impressive to say the least. I highly recommend this bulb for anyone who does a fair bit of back-roads driving.

H4 (9003) Bulb Specifications

The bulbs in their nifty little package.

Notice the three different output sectors. The rear portion has a light dichroric filter used when the high beams are on. The top portion has a slightly darker color for a pleasant blueish tone to the low beams.

Osram Nightbreaker vs. Philips X-Treme Power

Nightbreaker (left) vs. X-Treme Power (right) -- Low Beam

Nightbreaker (left) vs. X-Treme Power (right) -- High Beam

Modified by Eran at 11:31 AM 11/13/2007
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang, and to think i just changed over and now something better? how much?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (KSWEST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KSWEST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dang, and to think i just changed over and now something better? how much?</TD></TR></TABLE>

£23.99 = $49.70 Shipped.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (Eran)

damn i did not know the light was a little blue ... i thought it was pure white. and you said that the xtreme was a little blue too damn this is not good. in other pics i have not seen a hint of blue on both.

Modified by verycleanhatch at 6:08 PM 11/3/2007
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
HT White Ops

The blue is not awful. It's not like HYPERWHITE blue. It's just blue compared to a completely uncoated bulb. It's not extreme like a SilverStar or some ricer brand.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

good in my books...thanks for the pics...
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you talking about the regular sylvania silverstar. i like how those looked.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (verycleanhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verycleanhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about the regular sylvania silverstar. i like how those looked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's less blue than Sylvania Silverstars. It is bluer than Osram Silverstars.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the difference between H4 and 9003? Is the H4 only legal in Europe?

Also, if anyone can explain how they can get so much brightness, yet the wattage stays the same.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM

These pictures are taken from an EK with those bulbs, right?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, would you say these are the best bulbs you ever used?

Thanks for the review Eran.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SportEL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SportEL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the difference between H4 and 9003?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Essentially none. They can be considered interchangeable.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SportEL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the difference between H4 and 9003? Is the H4 only legal in Europe?

Also, if anyone can explain how they can get so much brightness, yet the wattage stays the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Generally, it's by pushing the "allowable specs" to the absolute limits, though they may also employ unique filament material, design, and positioning, an improved gas mix, higher gas pressure, etc...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These pictures are taken from an EK with those bulbs, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hesitate to comment for him, but I'm relatively certain they're stock DOT 6th gen. Civic housings.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

How is this bulb any different that the other blue-tinted bulbs. I notice it's tinted blue at the bottom half. I thought the blue filters everything non-blue and gives appearance of whiter color without any real performance change.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (SportEL)

These bulbs are not fully "tinted", they just have partial dichroic filters on portions of the glass which are designed to produce a slightly whiter output and look "whiter" when viewed from outside the vehicle (you'll note that the filter bands do not cover the actual filament location). However, first and foremost, they are built to provide true, improved lighting performance through various design elements , unlike the typical heavily tinted eBay ricer bulbs.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

How are they measuring the 90% more light that statndard? Is this in lumens?

Because they are pushing the specs to the absouldte limits, does this mean bulb life is sacrificed?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These pictures are taken from an EK with those bulbs, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

EJ6 hatch i do believe. could be wrong though... unless its on nofx's car...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i read that you suggest thse for backroad driving. well what about normal city driving? are they too bright for that? aka going to **** off other drivers or have a big glare? also, i just order them from powerbulbs. what can i use those for?! or should i just sell them on ebay when i get them?!

Modified by Frstyl838 at 4:14 PM 11/2/2007
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (Frstyl838)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frstyl838 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i read that you suggest thse for backroad driving. well what about normal city driving? are they too bright for that? aka going to **** off other drivers or have a big glare? also, i just order them from powerbulbs. what can i use those for?! or should i just sell them on ebay when i get them?!

Modified by Frstyl838 at 4:14 PM 11/2/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, these are fine for city driving. The low beams just aren't that spectacular, so if you only do city driving, you won't notice these as being the "best bulbz evar."
Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, these are fine for city driving. The low beams just aren't that spectacular, so if you only do city driving, you won't notice these as being the "best bulbz evar."</TD></TR></TABLE>

The way you are saying that makes it seem it is not worth buying if you only use it for city driving. So which bulb is the best for city driving? The Philips X-treme Power?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (SportEL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SportEL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The way you are saying that makes it seem it is not worth buying if you only use it for city driving. So which bulb is the best for city driving? The Philips X-treme Power?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both their low beams are comparable. They seemed almost the exact color and brightness. The high beams really sell me on this bulb.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
xod

damn, I just bought these bulbs from ebay and spent 40 bucks, I wish i found powerbulbs.com first. 33 dollars w/ w5w and free shipping?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (xod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn, I just bought these bulbs from ebay and spent 40 bucks, I wish i found powerbulbs.com first. 33 dollars w/ w5w and free shipping? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you're looking at the prices in British Pounds, not US Dollars.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (Padawan)

i should be getting a set come Christmas. looks like i will be happy with these bulbs.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 PM
xod

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (Padawan)

yeah i added it 23 EUROs is like 31 $ =/
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block (xod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i added it 23 EUROs is like 31 $ =/</TD></TR></TABLE>

From most places, it's 24 GBP, not EU. That's about $50.

Quick Reply: Osram Nightbreaker -- The New Kid On The Block