Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 CR-V B20 swap into a '00 Civic Hatch CX - Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 CR-V B20 swap into a '00 Civic Hatch CX - Questions!

Hello All,

First off I read the sticky in regards to parts needed etc., but I wanted to clarify a few things before I jump into this swap!

I purchased a donor '96 CR-V w/ original B20 motor, 5-Speed trans etc. for $400.

The person I bought it from said it'd be a straightforward swap since I can use the transmission and axles off the CR-V, but I'm reading otherwise on here.

So I'm in search of the FACTS! My questions is - What can I actually salvage from the CR-V that will work on my Hatch for the swap?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: '96 CR-V B20 swap into a '00 Civic Hatch CX - Questions!

Which engine do you have? B20B or B20Z? The engine you have is not from a '96 CR-V, CR-Vs didn't come until '97, the manual transmission wasn't offered until '98.

If you have a '99 - '01 CR-V you can use the engine haness in a '99 - '00 Civic (I have personally done this before and can confirm that it works and is the easiest way to do this swap) I think you can use a '98 CR-V harness as well, as I believe they were OBD2B, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can't use the transmission or axles, those will need to come from a '94 - '01 Integra, '99 - '00 Civic Si or '94 - '97 Del Sol VTEC. Shift linkage needs to come from either a '94 - '01 Integra or '99 - '00 Civic Si.

The intake manifold wont clear the hood on the early B20s. Replace it with an LS manifold. (use an LS throttle cable and bracket) If it's a late model B20 (B20Z) it will fit.

You can use the driver's side fluid filled mount from the CR-V itself along with the cast iron post mount on the engine (this will drop the engine down more than the 2 post Si mount most people tell you to use) Rear "T" bracket needs to come from a '99 - '00 Civic Si

You can also use the gauge cluster, it's a direct swap.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 98 crv is obd2a, but double check me and that.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Which engine do you have? B20B or B20Z? The engine you have is not from a '96 CR-V, CR-Vs didn't come until '97, the manual transmission wasn't offered until '98.

If you have a '99 - '01 CR-V you can use the engine haness in a '99 - '00 Civic (I have personally done this before and can confirm that it works and is the easiest way to do this swap) I think you can use a '98 CR-V harness as well, as I believe they were OBD2B, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can't use the transmission or axles, those will need to come from a '94 - '01 Integra, '99 - '00 Civic Si or '94 - '97 Del Sol VTEC. Shift linkage needs to come from either a '94 - '01 Integra or '99 - '00 Civic Si.

The intake manifold wont clear the hood on the early B20s. Replace it with an LS manifold. (use an LS throttle cable and bracket) If it's a late model B20 (B20Z) it will fit.

You can use the driver's side fluid filled mount from the CR-V itself along with the cast iron post mount on the engine (this will drop the engine down more than the 2 post Si mount most people tell you to use) Rear "T" bracket needs to come from a '99 - '00 Civic Si

You can also use the gauge cluster, it's a direct swap.
Thanks for the informative post! That was my bad, it is actually a '98. I ended up just getting the motor, harness, cluster for $200 since I had no use for anything else.

Swap has 220K on it Is there anything you guys recommend I check/change before I drop it in? I drove it when it was in the CR-V and it drove and sounded healthy.

Also, my hatch came with hasport mounts, so would I just need to change the brackets that you mentioned above and still be able to use my mounts?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what engine did you have before? Most of the D and B mounts are different.

I did my wife's 99 Sedan last year, there is a thread floating around with parts prices and all of the swap info.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by StylezEJ7
Thanks for the informative post! That was my bad, it is actually a '98. I ended up just getting the motor, harness, cluster for $200 since I had no use for anything else.
You got a good deal. I'd get the ECU as well if you can. It plugs in and doesn't have an immobilizer.

Swap has 220K on it Is there anything you guys recommend I check/change before I drop it in? I drove it when it was in the CR-V and it drove and sounded healthy.
Timing belt, water pump, front and rear crank seals and cam seals. I'd strongly recommend the use of an OEM Honda water pump.

Also, my hatch came with hasport mounts, so would I just need to change the brackets that you mentioned above and still be able to use my mounts?
You can reuse your mounts. Because it's a CR-V engine the driver's side bracket should bolt up fine, most other B-series engines would require swapping the timing belt bracket.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ISUBIEXI
what engine did you have before? Most of the D and B mounts are different.

I did my wife's 99 Sedan last year, there is a thread floating around with parts prices and all of the swap info.
It had a b-series swap before I purchased it, so it came with the hasport mounts but with the original y7 motor. No clue what was in it before.

You got a good deal. I'd get the ECU as well if you can. It plugs in and doesn't have an immobilizer.
Yes, I grabbed the ECU as well, forgot to mention that! And the OEM steering wheel since the hatch came with a beat up RSX wheel.

Timing belt, water pump, front and rear crank seals and cam seals. I'd strongly recommend the use of an OEM Honda water pump.
Gotcha, will order these ASAP!

You can reuse your mounts. Because it's a CR-V engine the driver's side bracket should bolt up fine, most other B-series engines would require swapping the timing belt bracket.
Good to know. So I don't need to change the T bracket or anything out of a 99-00 SI? Also, what about the exhaust manifold?

Which transmission do you recommend? I also plan to order a new clutch/flywheel, any brands you recommend for daily driving?

Thanks for all your help!! Below is a pic of the poor motor in need of loving. I will clean it up/degrease it nice and repaint the valve cover before installation.

If I wanted to install power steering into my hatch, would I be able to take the P/S pump, reservoir, lines, hoses etc. from this CR-V as well? Or would I need that from a civic? I know I need a Power rack as well.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I may be a little more confused now. lol. The Hasport mounts are for a D series or B Series?

Here are some of the parts I ordered when I did mine. 99 Civic Sedan.

$54.50 Innovative Mounts 96-00 Honda Civic Driver Side Sub Bracket for B and D Series(Ebay)
$59.00 MMR B-SERIES SWAP A/C COMPRESSOR BRACKET 92-00 HONDA CIVIC 94-97 DEL SOL(Amazon)
$60.69 HONDA CIVIC SI B16 ENGINE MOTOR MOUNT SWAP T BRACKET(Ebay)
$23.99 Wild-us OBD2B to OBD1 ECU Jumper Conversion Harness Adapter(Amazon)
$25 OBD2B to OBD1 FUEL INJECTOR CONVERSION HARNESS(Ebay)

I used the 99 Civic AC Compressor.
I had an innovative Driver side mount that I was using on the EG so I needed the additional Sub Bracket to use it on the 99.
The CRV Trans mount looks like it will work.
I don't know if that is OBD1 or OBD2, Mine did not have the Crank position sensor on the timing cover, actually I never actually looked to see if the mount was on the OIL pump but if you plan to stay OBD2 you want to double check that, make sure your oil pump had the CPK sensor mount and hopefully the sensor as well, that will make things easier.

I did have some issue with the ALternator Bracket and plug.

My 99 CIvic Harness had OBD2 injector clips and the motor had OBD1 Injectors so I got that conversion harness and had to remove the corner tabs inside to make it work. I just used a red hot paper clip and they burned away easily.

You may need an OBD2 Distributor adapter as well, There is an OBD2 Small and OBD2 Big. I'm not sure what is stock on the CRV, my B20 was previously swapped into an EG I assume the I swapped it into another EG then the 99 Civic, the engine is a ****. lol

Power steering I believe I used a LS Pump, LS Bracket and EG Power steering high pressure line.

p75 ECU

I did end up having some overheating issues on hot days, a dual core aluminum radiator along with shroud and fans sorted that out.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My swap

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...tions-3270854/
Old 10-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Seagull Management

Yes, I grabbed the ECU as well, forgot to mention that! And the OEM steering wheel since the hatch came with a beat up RSX wheel.
Smart thinking.

Good to know. So I don't need to change the T bracket or anything out of a 99-00 SI?
You'll need the rear T-bracket from a '99 - '00 Si Honda part number 50827-S04-N10. You can reuse all 3 Hasport mounts, the upper transmission bracket from the Civic (D and B-series are the same) along with the cast iron timing belt mount from the B20 you just bought.

Also, what about the exhaust manifold?
You can use the CR-V manifold and then fab something up after. I bought a 2.5 universal high flow cat, some pipe and flanges and had this welded together. It fits like OEM, looks stock, keeps you legal and keeps everyone happy

Which transmission do you recommend?
A B20 will be pretty happy with whatever you bolt up to it. You can kind of use your driving preference to pick a transmission for this engine. If you like long gears go LS, if you like short gearing go B16/Type R. If you want something in the middle go GS-R. If I building it for myself I'd probably go GS-R.

I also plan to order a new clutch/flywheel, any brands you recommend for daily driving?
Daiken/Exedy made Honda's OEM clutches, I've used lots of them and they work well. I know lots of guys that like ACT as well but I've never run one in one of my person vehicles.

Thanks for all your help!!
You're welcome

If I wanted to install power steering into my hatch, would I be able to take the P/S pump, reservoir, lines, hoses etc. from this CR-V as well? Or would I need that from a civic? I know I need a Power rack as well.
Use the bracket and pump from the CR-V, get everything else from any '96 - '00 Civic with power steering. If you want AC make sure you get the AC bracket from the CR-V, a D-series compressor bolts right up to it.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it try that the b20 starter will not work with b-series transmissions? I was told I would need a 94-01 LS Starter. Just want to confirm before I order a new one.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the LS starter. From what I read you need the LS starter or other B-Series I'm sure will work. What trans are you planning to go with? I initially had a B16 transmission with super short gears and it was honestly pretty awesome. That transmission had some issues so I swapped in a LS transmission and it has worked great, little bit more reasonable on the freeway.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ohh just a note, the stock 99 Civic Coupe exhaust bolted right up to the B-Series Megan header I used. I eventually swapped it with the cat back and test pipe I had and it felt like it was running a lot better.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ISUBIEXI
I used the LS starter. From what I read you need the LS starter or other B-Series I'm sure will work. What trans are you planning to go with? I initially had a B16 transmission with super short gears and it was honestly pretty awesome. That transmission had some issues so I swapped in a LS transmission and it has worked great, little bit more reasonable on the freeway.
Really want a GSR trans but they aren't so easy to come by around here, and when you do find one they aren't cheap. I may just go LS since they're plentiful, cheap, and as you mentioned they're more reasonable on the highway - and I'll be doing a good amount of that.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hay guys trying to figure out why my fan isnt working on my b20b4 with a p75-3 head. i see i have no plug connecting to the sensor and i dont see an existing plug that is supposed to go to it. is there anyone that knows what i a talking about?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...-swap-2985941/