Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Civic - leaking oil from head gasket and crank seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic - leaking oil from head gasket and crank seal

I hope I'm in the right spot, I just bought a used honda civic its a 92 4 door. The issue I'm having is after I got it home I discovered it is leaking oil from the passenger side of the head gasket and the crank seal. The part where I need your help is finding out what head gasket, and crank seal I need and and where is the best place to get it. The car has a b18b1 (or so I've been told) block with wiesco 9 to 1 pistons with eagle rods and it has a vtec head the code on the head is pr3-3 and the year is 99. The main issue is the block code is gone, looks to have been ground off. So any ideas on what I should do/get for parts and what are some good sites to get them from. I will also want to get arp head studs as it seems that is standard when swapping head gaskets. I am a mechanic so knowing how isnt an issue...also any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic - leaking oil from head gasket and crank seal

Originally Posted by wss2008
I hope I'm in the right spot, I just bought a used honda civic its a 92 4 door. The issue I'm having is after I got it home I discovered it is leaking oil from the passenger side of the head gasket and the crank seal. The part where I need your help is finding out what head gasket, and crank seal I need and and where is the best place to get it. The car has a b18b1 (or so I've been told) block with wiesco 9 to 1 pistons with eagle rods and it has a vtec head the code on the head is pr3-3 and the year is 99. The main issue is the block code is gone, looks to have been ground off. So any ideas on what I should do/get for parts and what are some good sites to get them from. I will also want to get arp head studs as it seems that is standard when swapping head gaskets. I am a mechanic so knowing how isnt an issue...also any other suggestions are welcome.
It's my understanding you can order head gaskets specifically made for ls-vtec, or you can use the headgasket that matches the head you have, with very slight modification. But NOT a regular B18B1 headgasket.

I would do a lot of research on ls-vtec, as that's what you seem to have. You might find some of the commonly found issues with them, and also be able to more easily identify what you're working with. Also you'll find head gasket recommendations. I wouldn't be surprised if you already have ARP headstuds. Which should make your life easier, if you in fact have to change the head gasket. Also it IS likely to be a B18B1 block, as that's the common choice for ls-vtec.

Are you sure it's coming from the headgasket? More often than not you'll get a leak just above that at the distributor seal, which is very easy to change.