Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

VTEC H22A overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC H22A overheating problem

So, I'm having trouble with my car overheating. I've searched it and even posted here in H-T about it, but the answer I got really didn't help and the thread is so old I'm loath to resurrect it.

Engine: VTEC H22A
Modifications: AEM Cold air intake, throttle body, DC Sports Headers and down pipe, Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs and Duralast Ignition wires.

Symptom: Car overheats when sitting still, temperature sometimes lowers when car is in motion, sometimes not. When radiator cap is off coolant/water mixture bubbles violently out of radiator once car reaches operating temperature. To visual inspection, no leaks exist in radiator or hoses, but all are OE so I should probably replace them soon anyway.

Attempted Fixes: Radiator recently flushed, cleaned and refilled, no effect.
Powdered Radiator sealant added, no effect.
Thermostat replaced, new thermostat gasket, no effect.

Please help! This is my daily driver and I can't get to work without it...My wife is about to cut me off from using her car anymore.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Are the fans ever engaging?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (Ralleh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ralleh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are the fans ever engaging?</TD></TR></TABLE>

occasionally... but not all the time.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Ralleh)

with the coolant bubbling out when at operating temp, that sounds like a head gasket to me
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: (Giant_Bean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giant_Bean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the coolant bubbling out when at operating temp, that sounds like a head gasket to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any way to positively verify that? I'd really rather not go to the expense and money (i'm so broke right now) of changing the head gasket unless I'm sure that's the problem.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ((null).exe)

coolant in your oil says head gasket

or smoke in exhaust of a certain color.. cant recall which
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: (dagle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dagle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coolant in your oil says head gasket
or smoke in exhaust of a certain color.. cant recall which</TD></TR></TABLE>

drained and changed oil just after coolant... no contamination i could see... no smoke from exhaust either
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leakdown test. and a head gasket will not always leak oil into the coolant. I have a blown head gasket that just leaked a little coolant into the cylinder for several months until it finally went enough that the exhaust was smoking, and I still did not get any coolant in the oil, or vice versa
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to help positively verify it is your head gasket....

thanks for trying to flame me
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giant_Bean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">leakdown test. and a head gasket will not always leak oil into the coolant. I have a blown head gasket that just leaked a little coolant into the cylinder for several months until it finally went enough that the exhaust was smoking, and I still did not get any coolant in the oil, or vice versa</TD></TR></TABLE>

thx for suggestion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dagle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to help positively verify it is your head gasket....
thanks for trying to flame me </TD></TR></TABLE>

heh, misunderstood what you were saying, not trying to flame...i edited my post after i realized my mistake.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds to me like the fans arent working enough, if the temp will drop while driving. If you are driving like highway speeds is it fine?? Maybe need a new or lower temp fan switch? But of course do the comp and leakdown tests as already stated!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: (snobordboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snobordboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds to me like the fans arent working enough, if the temp will drop while driving. If you are driving like highway speeds is it fine?? Maybe need a new or lower temp fan switch? But of course do the comp and leakdown tests as already stated!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

For a long time, the temp was fine when driving 40mph or faster, but stop-and-go traffic it would overheat. Now it starts overheating even when at speed.

Ok, so check the fan switches and motors..

Dumb question of the day, how do I do a leakdown and compression test?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Engine: VTEC H22A
Modifications: AEM Cold air intake, throttle body, DC Sports Headers and down pipe, Bosch Iridium <U></U>Spark Plugs and Duralast Ignition wires.

not anything to do with ur over heating but get rid of your BOSCH spark plugs do lots more damage then good

NGK FTW

Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 PM

Does it completely overheat, or does the heat guage just go up a little past half.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Burgiop)

A leak down will tell you if you get bubbles in the cooling system. Also you could check your plugs and piston tops. If you have coolant in the chamber your plugs will be clean (no carbo) aswell as the pistons tops. Granted you may have carbon but it can be a quick look. Also double check your fans are switching on (roughly 210-220). And last check and make sure you Radiator isnt clogged.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: (Rob97'SH)

Also, check how much radiator fluid in in there. cuz i think that maybe a problem. i'm no experienced mechanic but during the summer my car used to heat up horribly too and if i left the radiator cap off fluid would eventually come out, but the car shows no signs of blown headgasket. leakdown test was below 10 percent and the mechanic who suspect a blown head gasket said the radiator hoses were pressurized. I looked the radiator fluid and its all the way to the top of the reservoir.... maybe thats it idk.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 AM

Depending on the temperature, in the mid summer my car goes a little over past half, but always creeps down. Mid you it is digital so it is not 100 percent. You might need to look into getting a bigger Rad.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (Rob97'SH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rob97’SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also double check your fans are switching on (roughly 210-220).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so the fans aren't switching on at all. I'm trying to find a new fan relay because i put power directly to the fan motors and they work fine. i'm now hoping it's the relay from the fusebox to the motors because the fuse that controls the fans is fine as well.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first, jump your fans switch connectors to see if the fans turn on then, if they do, your switch may be bad.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmbreed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmbreed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not anything to do with ur over heating but get rid of your BOSCH spark plugs do lots more damage then good

NGK FTW

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prove it! I wanna see this prof of BOSH spark plugs sucking ***. I hear waay too much hearsay about certain products from people who have probably not even used them, themselves, or actually knew anybody personally (other than through the net) that used BOSH spark plugs. I've had them and the tips last forever, and the spark produced is still awsome. I'm sure a new coil helps a bit too

(null).exe. Your fans should go on atleast once, when your car is warmed up.
Your relay sounds to be the problem like you suggested. If you have a voltmeter you could test the outputs of the relay when your car reaches normal opperating temperature. They should read (I think 12V dc) if the relay is closing. If the relay never closes than its junked. You replaced thermostat so the relay must be problem. Its only control I believe is from thermostat, reading coolant temperature.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC H22A overheating problem ((null).exe)

A radiator fan not going on, I dont think it would cause it to bubble like that. What type of radiator do you have in there. Mabey its bad, and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your coolant hoes. squeez them. if they are hard or stiff it mean ur headgasket is gone but its its soft or normal its not the headgasket. befor you check let the car warm up. check any other vehicle to check how hard the lines are supposed to be.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: VTEC H22A overheating problem (Acidcrakker)

stock rad.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC H22A overheating problem ((null).exe)

i also have a similar problem..., i bought a j- spec h22 and before i dropped it in i replaced all the seals, water pump, belts, plugs and head gasket.
mods=
Type-S cams with valvetrain
koyo radiator
mugen fan switch & thurmostat & cap
gates hoses
skunk 2 65mm TB
aem v2 intake
dc headers
chrome programed ECU
i over heat at any giving time, at a stop or in the freeway. i use Honda coolant, and blead the system many times. fans turn on and off, no leaks, no oil/coolant contamination. I've replaced the thurmostat with the stock one and it still heats up.
I've notice every now and then the gage goes all the way to red and chills there for like 2 min, then goes back down to normal for 5 min... what could it be?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattsnooz)

its not heresay but i dont have a picture to prove it.
one of my plugs fouled in my h23. it was on its last legs so i didnt wanna get a new set of plugs so i got what i was told would be the best, bosch iridiums, and ran like that for a few months till i swapped it. pulled the head off and the bosch plug seemed to almost singe the piston top as well as affecting the valve cutout things. almost mangled it.
only in the cylinder with the bosch plug. will never suggest them to any import. they seems to handle domestic vehicles pretty well but not my old engine.
nothing was wrong with the wrist pin or the rod bearing either, that was my first thought.
believe what you will but ill only put the oem plug in this car or any other honda i do.

Quick Reply: VTEC H22A overheating problem