Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

problem with h22 after timing belt install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with h22 after timing belt install

Ok, so I replaced the timing belt and everything looked like it was lined up the way it should be when I finished. I left the balance shaft belt off since I've read numerous times that it is ok to be left off. I start the car and everything seems to be idle normal. I let it run while I put up all the tools and it still seems to run pretty well. I get in to take it for a drive and it starts to idle a little rougher and then it dies. It starts back up but idles a little rough and dies again. I get it started again and listen under the hood, the only noticeable thing I hear is a whine from the T-Belt side. I try to slowly rev it up, it sputters and dies again. Now it won't start. It just cranks and after a few it backfires. I tried a couple times but it does the same thing, but the backfire gets louder. Any ideas?

Also, I removed the bolt for the tensioner pulleys and put it back no problem. Later on I needed to loosen it again and when I did Coolant started running out. Is that normal? It seemed strange because it didn't do it the first time when I actually removed it.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: problem with h22 after timing belt install

Either you forgot to put tension back on your timing belt or you installed it wrong and the crank is not at tdc with the cams. Redo. Check ignition timing as well. Any codes ? Check timing.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 AM

I know exactly whats wrong. You dont know what your doing. The belt tension became loose and you removed a water pump bolt instead of the tensioner.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol ^
Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by neil23
I know exactly whats wrong. You dont know what your doing. The belt tension became loose and you removed a water pump bolt instead of the tensioner.

Wow...from what I've read/researched before doing this I never once saw that the tensioner pulley bolt would leak coolant when loosened. If that's the case why didn't it leak the first time when it was fully removed? I can understand if the belt tension came loose and it slipped. This isn't the first time I've done a timing job either. I did one on my last car and didn't run into any problems. I research what I can before attempting anything like this to minimize any issues I may run into. I'm not a complete retard when it comes to working on cars, but I don't claim to know everything there is either. I like doing anything I can on my own.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by neil23
Seems to me he knows something about what he's doing. Just not everything. I'd try to give him a break and not insult him being that he's already tried more than what half of the people on this forum would attempt.

Originally Posted by street_ride14;
Either you forgot to put tension back on your timing belt or you installed it wrong and the crank is not at tdc with the cams. Redo. Check ignition timing as well. Any codes ? Check timing.
^agreed.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by street_ride14
I'm going to check the distributor since I've seen that as a common problem. If it was just that I would be stoked, but knowing my luck it won't be...lol There aren't any codes coming up either.

Originally Posted by mattsnooz
Seems to me he knows something about what he's doing. Just not everything. I'd try to give him a break and not insult him being that he's already tried more than what half of the people on this forum would attempt.
Thanks man, everyone are prone to errors...even the professionals. Just because something goes wrong doesn't necessarily mean that person doesn't know what they are doing.