Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Problem with the brakes, need second opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the brakes, need second opinions

I have been having a problem with my brakes recently. When decelerating (sp?) from high speeds it takes a little longer than I would like to slow the car down and the brakes over heat like crazy and cause my car to shake. I've never had this happen in my other cars. The guy who owned this car before me put AEM brake pads and powerslot rotors on. I have read and heard that the slotted rotors cause the pads to wear quicker because the slices in the rotor act as razor blades running over the pads. But I think the biggest problem is the shitty pads from AEM. Maybe I'm wrong but I think there are companies who specialize in tires, turbos and brake pads. AEM doesn't come to mind for brakes.

So before I order some Hawk pads and call myself done, I want a second opinion on this combo. Should I ditch the slotted rotors along with the pads? Anyone else here with slotted rotors, chime in about how often you need pads.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Problem with the brakes, need second opinions (Drag'nGT)

it just sounds like warped rotors to me.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Problem with the brakes, need second opinions (Drag'nGT)

The pads shouldn't be bad. They aren't the greatest. Get rid of the slotted/drilled. They are worthless. They only cause problems.

Get OEM blanks, and a decent brake pad (I like my Axxis Ultimates), and bleed the entire brake fluid. Your stopping power will be optimized for daily driving, as well as some easy tracking sessions with this setup.