Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Oil leak please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak please help

I have a 98 auto prelude. Ok here is my problem. I woke up one day (been pretty cold latey in 20 and 30's) and I had no oil in my car. I just drains out near the oil filter really quick. Before that day I did have a small oil leak around the same area but not nearly this bad. After searching on the board I found that it is a common problem with the preludes to have the o-ring on the oil cooler go bad. I took it to a shop and they did say it was that and fixed the problem. Now I am still getting a smaller oil leak.

I was hoping that the both oil leaks were the same problem and I fixed it.

Now I am trying to rule out what could be leaking. I know it is not the oil pan cuz it is leaking from higher up on the back of the engine. It drips right on the exaust pipe.

Also, about 7k miles ago I had the TB and WP replaced and I had them replace the valve cover gasket, cam seals, and balence shaft seal. I believe I still had a leak before I had those replaced so unless they did a bad job I don't think it would be any of those.

There is tons of oil in the area from when the oil cooler o-ring broke so I need to clean it up and try and find the leak.

What else could be leaking the shop said he does not think it is the oil swich. He did say it might be the v-tech somethingorother? I am not too good with cars.
Any idea's?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak please help (98prelude1)

Mabey its the Oil filter not being on tight enough.

The Vtec somethingorother is on the passenger side of the motor and wont drip right onto the DP.

Its either your Oil Pressure switch or oil filter. if its directly dripping onto the dp.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Oil leak please help (Acidcrakker)

its possible that whne they put the oil cooler o-ring in they didnt get the entire gasket in the channel where it belongs....its kinda tuff to get it in there w/o popping out.

Did they use any gasket maker/honda bond?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil leak please help (EFz6er)

Take the oil cooler back off and replace the o-ring...I bet they pinched it or binded it up when they tightened it down...I put a light coat of hondabond on mine when I changed it out to avoid this.

There is only a few things around that area that can produce an oil leak..(oil cooler o-ring,oil filter gasket,oil temp. sensor,valve cover gasket, )
Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak please help (m00nr0ck Si)

This is why I have very little faith in shops. They can botch a job up just like I could, except I pay them 400 bucks to eff up.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: Oil leak please help (Acidcrakker)

had the same problem on my h22a , oil was drip'n from the oil senser....
took it off, cleaned threads and put some plumers tape on the thread, hasnt leaked sense!!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks for everyone's info. I took the car back to the shop they guy said he would check to see if it was still leaking from the oil filter and if so would fix it for free. When he looked at it he said it was not leaking from there and took me into the shop to show me I saw it on a lift and it looked like he was right, it didn't seem to becoming from the oil filter. He was very much recommened, so I am thinking he fixed the oil cooler o-ring leak but there is another. Like I said there was a small leak before the oil cooler o-ring went. I am pretty sure he did not use hondabond thoguh. Anymore thoughts I have to really get under there clean it and I will post with more updates after that.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Re: (98prelude1)

What do you guys think about using a dye in teh oil to locate the leak?
Is this safe?