Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (popnvtec)

i would start by removing the dent fromthe oil pan, the honda oil pickups sit very low in the pan, this could be starving the motor at higher rpm. start with that.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (prelittlelude)

yep ripped the oil pan off today and sure enough at the bottom of the pan u could see were the oil pick up line hit the bottom of the pan. It was a big circle just like the bottom of the pickup. I beat the bottom of the pan back out. And inspected the pickup for damage and looked at the screen to make sure it was clean. Everything was fine and clean. I putted everything back together and took it out for drive. It defintely fixed the problem I hit vtec perfect now. I also running a Fields VTEC controller i set it at 5 and vtec turns on with every seting I put it. Thank god for this thread or I would of never figured it out.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would start by removing the dent fromthe oil pan, the honda oil pickups sit very low in the pan, this could be starving the motor at higher rpm. start with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true the pickup sits at the very bottom any kind of little dent can cause a restriction in oil pressure. specially right at the pickup.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for an awsome thread
Old 05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by popnvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for an awsome thread </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man , glad to see you fixed your problem
Old 06-18-2005, 12:44 PM

there's a problem with the VTEC.<FONT SIZE="+2">?</FONT>
...... When the Vtec gets ready to engage its like it hits a rev limiter (we'll call this hitting the wall) The rpm bounces a little and doesn't go anywhere. Just like your regular rev limiter if you let your car rev too high.
....Also I have the vafc (was doing the same thing before it was hooked up) so I can change the VTEC engagement point so its not just a certain rpm. So when the engagement point is at 4000 it hits the wall at 4000, if you let it til 6000 it hits the wall at 6000. If you put the engagement point to 7000 and don't let it engage it runs fine its jut the Vtec that has a problem?
..Another thing I noticed is when I had the Vtec at 6000 and it hit the wall when I shifted to third the gear it hit the wall at 4000 even though the Vtec wasn't kicking in.

... Here are the things my mechanic has tried or ruled out. Checked over the wiring three times after it was all hooked up. Put the Vafc on to richen the fuel mixture in case it was leaning out on Vtec. Switch computers with a p28. There is a brand new dizzy from the dealership.
... Things he's going to try take off and inspect Vtec solenoid besides that he doesn't know what it is and is convinced that it is something mechanical not electrical.
..So I need help if anyone has any insight please share. The more time he takes to find the problem the more its going to cost me, so if someone has a solution I could just pay to have it fixed and finally have my car.
<FONT SIZE="+2">here's MY MODS</FONT>
....First I want to thank everyone for ther help and suggestions
Next I just want to clear some things up to help narrow the responses more towards the problem.
....1) The problem was happening before the VAFC was hooked up. The VAFC was hooked up to richen the fuel mixture thinking that it might be leaning out on Vtec.
.....2)It's not throwing any CELS and I replaced the bulb awhile back and always keep an eye on it.
.....3) I don't think it not engaging is the problem. Because I have been in cars where the Vtec doesn't engage and its nothing like this, also it doesn't limit the RPM when it doesn't engage.
.....4) Don't forget my mechanic is working on my car not me. He is one of the best in my area. He works on about 80% Hondas w/Vtec so I'm pretty sure he has tried all the basics even though its good to start checking those first. He also has done H22 into Accords numerous times thats one of the reasons I went to him.
......5) Yes I'm driving it for the testing of it.
Again thanks for everyone's help.
By next week I will have a digital camera that takes video for something for you guys to see how it is. Also the Vtec solenoid should be checked and cleaned out so we'll soon see if that is the route of the problem.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Banned

I read through this entire thread and saw several comments about having a hard 5200rpm limit. I have that same problem now and have not found the solution. If anyone had this happen and has the solution, please let me know, thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:49 AM
WestSPEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (the_eyecon)

hahah thi sis hilarious...
i was gonna say the same thing to the thread starter..
ur VSS has nothing to do with ur vtec engagement..
yes iits true that ur speedo and mileage wont work but it still has nothing to ddo with ur vss..
i know because the whole week last week i drove without the VSS and my vtec hit everytime all the time....might wanna check ur info before u wanna spread it...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:50 AM
WestSPEC

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (95 lude)

no ur wrong..the VSSS has nothing to do with the vtec....read the post up above...
go check ur shyt out before making assumptions...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 AM
WestSPEC

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (95 lude)

ur a moron..the vss just send the info to ur cluster to show what spoeed ur going...
its ur rpm that u have to look at thats why honda designated what rpm vtec hits at..not what speed u dumasss....
i know honda tech members love bashing n00bs..but it would def. help if u were bashing them with the right info..

i'll say this again...i drove my car for a week without the vss...and my vtec and secondary butterfly hit everytime...yu cant miss it cause the bitch roars...
Old 08-05-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm havin a problem with my vtec and its starting to get annoying...

OK i've got a 2000 Prelude with Stage 2 Cams and whenever i hit 5400 my vtec sounds like its switching over but i dont feel any difference in power

I've taken to honda and another mechanic at a local honda shop and they cant find out anything wrong with it...they checked the solenoid and pressure switch and everything is working fine

Now whenever I'm in 3rd gear or higher and i switch over to vtec i throw a p1259 code and I have to get my ecu reset...but in 1st and 2nd i dont throw any code it just doesnt kick in and sometimes i hit a cutoff at 6400 but sometimes i dont...

Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a very helpful thread. Sticky would be nice!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (BlazedD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlazedD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah thi sis hilarious...
i was gonna say the same thing to the thread starter..
ur VSS has nothing to do with ur vtec engagement..
yes iits true that ur speedo and mileage wont work but it still has nothing to ddo with ur vss..
i know because the whole week last week i drove without the VSS and my vtec hit everytime all the time....might wanna check ur info before u wanna spread it...</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlazedD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no ur wrong..the VSSS has nothing to do with the vtec....read the post up above...
go check ur shyt out before making assumptions...</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlazedD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur a moron..the vss just send the info to ur cluster to show what spoeed ur going...
its ur rpm that u have to look at thats why honda designated what rpm vtec hits at..not what speed u dumasss....
i know honda tech members love bashing n00bs..but it would def. help if u were bashing them with the right info..

i'll say this again...i drove my car for a week without the vss...and my vtec and secondary butterfly hit everytime...yu cant miss it cause the bitch roars... </TD></TR></TABLE>

arg.. well then obviously your car doesn't have stock ecu or stock wiring, a vafc will force vtec to engauge if you have that. also if your runing any other ecu like a p28 or p72 chipped there is an option to disable the vss speed check for vtec

vss is a vital inpuit, i myself on my stock 94 vtec have borken my vss ie i shifted hard and broke it and poped it out of the transmission, Vtec does not engague. even the helms manual says vss is a requirement, maybe you should pick up a repair manual before spreading your missinformation.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (es_squared)

Are you guys sure your tach will determines if v-tec engages after my swap for some reason my tach did not work, but I still got v-tech.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (TheAccordGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheAccordGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you guys sure your tach will determines if v-tec engages after my swap for some reason my tach did not work, but I still got v-tech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ecu needs a tach signal, but that does not mean nessesarly that the tach signal is good all the way up to the tachometer in the dash. also if you have a vafc or anything that forces it to engauge wether the ecu wants to or not.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:21 PM

quick question for you prelittlelude. I have a 97 prelude and the car ran great, and vtec engaged just fine. When I got my turbo put on with my new setup (my sig.) vtec decided it didnt want to engage. I have a direct obd2&gt;obd1 harness on my chipped p72, do you know if there is any other mods. needed for vtec to engage.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (tcontesh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tcontesh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quick question for you prelittlelude. I have a 97 prelude and the car ran great, and vtec engaged just fine. When I got my turbo put on with my new setup (my sig.) vtec decided it didnt want to engage. I have a direct obd2&gt;obd1 harness on my chipped p72, do you know if there is any other mods. needed for vtec to engage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would run thru everything I posted on the first page. what makes you think its not engauging , a CEL or you don't hear it?

with a conversion harness i would check al you wiring..
Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 PM

When I tune the car the high-cam profile screen (vtec screen) comes on with the program I am using and the solenoid clicks. If I listen carefully it sounds like vtec but really weak that is around 6k rpms and I have it set to engage at 5300 rpms.
No high end power either. Its weird
Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM

BTW my down pipe has a huge friggin leak, could exhaust pressure have anything to do with it?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tcontesh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I tune the car the high-cam profile screen (vtec screen) comes on with the program I am using and the solenoid clicks. If I listen carefully it sounds like vtec but really weak that is around 6k rpms and I have it set to engage at 5300 rpms.
No high end power either. Its weird </TD></TR></TABLE>

almost sounds like an oil presure problem. you need to follow the steps i posted, and test everything,

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tcontesh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW my down pipe has a huge friggin leak, could exhaust pressure have anything to do with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

your turbo could be sucking in your exhaust and that would cause alot of power lose but not a VTEC malfunction
Old 05-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never thought I would end up posting in this thread but here it goes...

A few days ago I ran over my driverside innerfender and the turn signals wires, well the wires short out and blew a fuse, and that is when I noticed that vtec didn't feel as "strong" as before, so I fixed the short and also had a little ground problem, so, I fixed that and was figuring maybe there was some sort of elec. draw that was not letting vtec crossover, well, still the same. I have no CEL's and I have full rpm range to 7800 or so there is a slight change in the acceleration at 5200rpms but just feels weak and the distictive "sound" is missing.

IDK i keep telling myself i am just being dumb and that I am thinking about it too much but...can yall help me out...Is it possible to rev to 7800 on low cam profile, if not is there anything that might restrict vtec from full power, maybe the secondaries not opening completely???

Sorry for the long post and the run on sentences
Old 05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (BlueLude94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueLude94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never thought I would end up posting in this thread but here it goes...

A few days ago I ran over my driverside innerfender and the turn signals wires, well the wires short out and blew a fuse, and that is when I noticed that vtec didn't feel as "strong" as before, so I fixed the short and also had a little ground problem, so, I fixed that and was figuring maybe there was some sort of elec. draw that was not letting vtec crossover, well, still the same. I have no CEL's and I have full rpm range to 7800 or so there is a slight change in the acceleration at 5200rpms but just feels weak and the distictive "sound" is missing.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well since you said you ripped you pass fender liner out my first thought would be that the resonator air bypass has been affected. besides the iabs in the manifold and the vtec mechanism built into the head there is also an electircally controled vacume solinoid down at the resonator on stock preludes. at a pre determined rpm , which it is right around vtec, the computer switches the length of the intake tube that resonator is using.. the vacume box and electric solinoid are bolted onto the passanger side engine mount.. maybe your vacume hose came off..

i would check that your vacume hose didn't come off and the wiring that connects to the solinoid are in tact. it is not possible to rev to 7800 without vtec enaging unless you have some aftermarket crap on your car. seeing as how you had your fender liner ripped out i would check all the wiring on that side of the engine bay.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's actually my driverside fender and I got rid of my whole intake box anyhow... this is so frustrating.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (BlueLude94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueLude94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's actually my driverside fender and I got rid of my whole intake box anyhow... this is so frustrating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry reading owns me , your vtec is working, just verify iabs are functioning, and go from there, it could be something else related to air or fuell,..
Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well after dealing with my no v-tec and 6500 limit I replaced my vss sensor and things were back to normal and my vafc2 works fine with everything

Quick Reply: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread