Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

OEM replacement calipers vs. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM replacement calipers vs. Aftermarket

I have a bit of a dilemma here. My front calipers are seizing slowly. I guess the grease is causing the pistons to not push the breakpads evenly so it's not rubbing on the rotors properly.

To get replacements from Honda are $220.00 for each caliper and that's not even new, just rebuilt.

I need to get at least 2 front calipers, rotors and pads which is going to cost quite a bit. I figure while I'm at it I'll do the rears also.

What do I do here? I don't want 4 piston calipers and slotted/cross drilled rotors but I would like to get something a little better than stock if its going to cost the same.

So what are my options here? I found a few kits. One from Baer: http://performance.drivewire.c....html but that's too much and I don't need all that. I can find rotors and pads but I can't seem to find calipers that are not 4 piston.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM replacement calipers vs. Aftermarket (CAN97SH)

find some used calipers, is your car vtec? If so they may be a little harder to find, also I am told legend calipers are compatible
Old 09-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: OEM replacement calipers vs. Aftermarket (Speedra500)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speedra500 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">find some used calipers, is your car vtec? If so they may be a little harder to find, also I am told legend calipers are compatible</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't really want to go used or with a legend/nsx brake setup. I would rather get new or just get the rebuilt prelude calipers.

Any other suggestions to what calipers I can get for the Prelude? Something that is two piston.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:22 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilwood, Baer, and so on are your choices pretty much. Why not rebuild the calipers you have?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you want are rebuilt stock calipers, Advance sells them about $100 each (after you trade in your old ones). I still like the idea of the 94/95 Legend GS sedan calipers. They bolt right in place of the VTEC ones and use the same rotor. Not sure about pads
Old 09-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM replacement calipers vs. Aftermarket (CAN97SH)

I got some rebuilt calipers on ebay from user 'macautopartsdiscount' and they were excellent quality rebuilds and they had really good customer service.

---&gt;http://search.stores.ebay.com/...ofpZ0

IMO a big brake kit is a bit overkill on a Prelude and will slow you down. Just good pads, fluid & tires should be fine.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one word when it comes to brakes:
ENDLESS!!!!!
That is, if I could afford 'em. LOL
Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 PM

NSX caliper. May as well.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: (InvaderTrax)

Well the thing is guys is that we don't have Autozone or Advance in Canada so I would have to look into a place that would trade my calipers for some rebuilt ones as long as they don't charge me 220 per caliper like what Honda wants. That's the only reason why I was looking at some aftermarket kits. I agree though, big brakes kits are totally overkill. That's why I was looking at some vented rotors and then thinking of going with aftermarket calipers if they are going to cost the same as stock ones.

Honda wont rebuild mine because of liability issues so maybe there is a place I can find that will just rebuild mine. I'll have to look into that too on Monday.

Hawkze_2.3: Do you ship to Canada? Doesn't say on your sales that I could see.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CAN97SH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CAN97SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hawkze_2.3: Do you ship to Canada? Doesn't say on your sales that I could see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I'm not the seller. That is the place that I bought my calipers from.....I'm in no way affiliated with them, just saying that I would reccommend them.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

someone above mentioned willwood calipers, I think they have quite a few that are less than 220, they may make brackets somewhere, or depending on your fabbing skills you may be able to choose the calipers of your choice and make brackets or have them made
Old 09-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, I'm not the seller. That is the place that I bought my calipers from.....I'm in no way affiliated with them, just saying that I would reccommend them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh right. I did go to the site and they don't ship to Canada Good suggestion though. They have good prices too. I'm going to email some brake companies and see what they have for my car as in calipers. There also has to be some shop here that would rebuild my calipers. That would be the most practical thing to do I guess but who wants that when they have an excuse to upgrade
Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why don't you want 4 piston calipers? is it a cost issue?
Old 09-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: (soundbomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundbomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't you want 4 piston calipers? is it a cost issue?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not at all, it's just that I don't need them. Are they not a little overkill for the street. Next year I should be into auto-x but even then I don't think 4 piston will be necessary. Prelude calipers have 1 piston, so I would think 2 would be sufficient basically. I also don't want to get used as I don't know the integrity of the product.

I just figured if I want OEM quality calipers and Honda wants 200 for each caliper then I might as well get something a little better if it's going to cost the same. I also need new rotors but they are not that much and nether are the pads...just the damn calipers
Old 09-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe, maybe not on overkill, i mean, you figure the spreading of braking pressure is a little better with a 4 piston as opposed to the single piston oem calipers

you should just look into rebuilt calipers and get better pads imo
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (soundbomber)

either buy the rebuilt calipers from honda or get legend ones and do the entire swap, if it were me i would swap the entire legend assembly over, i dont think it's overkill at all, overkill would be 350mm discs with ap racing 6pots. if the legend assembly can pull a 1.6ton legend to rest then it should have no problem dealing with a prelude. either way it's going to cost you so buying the OE calipers from honda could be a lot simpler, at least now you have a few options
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: (pizzamanprelude)

Are the Legend brakes that much better than the Prelude? I'll have to look into the legend brake swap. Damn this is not going to be cheap

I keep getting further and further away from buying a supercharger
Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 AM

its all in the faq's, legend conversion is for an increase in disc diameter and thickness, the caliper is supposedly less effective than the preludes caliper but if you want to use the prelude caliper with the legend disc you will have to mill some material of the pads to make 'em fit. i would do it if i could find a legend in a salvage yard. but yeah, its going to cost little bit of money unfortunately cos you should really buy braided lines and brand new discs and pads to do it all with, maybe you should just buy the honda OE calipers
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Resident Hoser #1

If the Legend caliper is less affective then why even bother? Seems like my best decision is getting rebuilt oem calipers, rotors and pads and then get some good fluid and stainless braided lines. I just thought that maybe I could get something a little better for the same price as oem but I guess not.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just rebuild your current brakes?? the rebuild kit is like 20 bucks per?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: (onefastrx7turbo)

Is that something easily done? Is there a writeup somewhere out there that you know of? I'll take a look to see if this is possible by myself and if I could do that then I will. As long as it's safe and not real hard to do
Old 09-11-2006, 10:43 PM

the idea of using legend calipers is that it lets you use a bigger diameter disc for better stopping power and also the discs are thicker than stock
Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Well I found some rebuilt calipers for my car for 86 each. Way better than Honda's price. I can't believe how much they actually mark items up!

Either way, I'm going to stick with those just because I think the prelude brakes are fine....that and it will be an easy swap

Thanks for your help guys.