Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Odd vibration/npise @ 1500 and 3100 rpm on 5th Gen after complete tune-up. HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd vibration/npise @ 1500 and 3100 rpm on 5th Gen after complete tune-up. HELP??

Last Saturday I took my wife's 2001 Base Prelude 5speed to Honda to have its 90K service done. The engine mods are simple; I/H/E, AEM Cam Gears and a VAFC2.

I had them install the following components as part of the maintenence;

HONDA GENUINE:
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Balance Shaft Belt
Thermostat
All Drivetrain Fluids

AFTERMARKET:
Exedy Racing Clutch (Organic Street Disc & Pressure Plate)
Fidanza Light Weight Aluminum Flywheel
Valve Adjustment

The car idles like a sewing machine. Before it was fine, but it just has that "refreshed" sound to its idle now. I am very pleased.

I have noticed a few things though.

Vibrations:

At exactly 1500 and 3000 RPM there is a very distinct and audible vibration/racket that seems to be traveling through the exhaust system. You can set your watch by it. The 1500 vibration is lower pitched than the 3000 vibration. There is nothing that changes the point of vibration it is constistant. (Not to mention annoying as hell.)

Also.....
Power seems slightly off. Cant explain it but it seems to just feel laggy. I dont drive it that often since I drive my b18c5 powered EK daily. Granted I havent really wailed on it due to the break-in period for the clutch. The aligned-timing marks on the Cam Gears are correct. The Cams were locked with a Cam-Lock device so I know they didnt move. (The technician is an aquantence.)

Just curious if the balance shaft belt could be off? What would make such SPECIFIC RPM vibrations? ANY input is appreciated.

-John

Old 05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd vibration/npise @ 1500 and 3100 rpm on 5th Gen after complete tune-up. HELP?? (quicksilvere

If the balance shafts were not lined up correctly i think it could cause that vibration.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Odd vibration/npise @ 1500 and 3100 rpm on 5th Gen after complete tune-up. HELP?? (quicksilvere

bumpage
Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM

balance shaft has 2 timing marks it easy to get confused and set it of like 5 teeth and lighn it up with the other mark.

on the actual shaft, not the gear there is a long oval dip this faces up towards the cam gear and lines up with a dash on the balance shaft cover.

its probablly a couple of teeth off

Old 05-27-2006, 06:32 PM

Thats funny how you mentioned this, this same thing is happening to my car. I thought it was my header bolts that were loose but no, I tighten everything. It sounds like its coming from inside the block, but maybe it is the balance shafts. This happened right after my tune up as well. Its really pissing me off.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:42 PM

yup like i said honda really made the big h 2 2 confusing the accords only have one mark but the h22 have 2 but u can only pay attention to one

like i said the long oval faces up towards the cam gears and there is a dash/arrow it alligns with on the balance shaft cover.

btw the other notch is hard left facing the headers and there is also an arrow on the balance shaft gear these r to be disreguarded completely. however the mark on the gear will come close to matching the second mark on the shaft cover
Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 AM

maybe the heat shield has come loose?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: (THEFXR)

doubt it, u should be able to tell by the sound im sure most people know the heat shield rattle
Old 05-28-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (akstunt600)

go back to the honda dealer, they should be able to repair the problem.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THEFXR)

Don't 1999-2001 Preludes have 100k tune-up intervals? I am not saying you should or have to wait until 100k, but Honda guaranteeds that we don't need a huge tune up like timing belt change until 100k. Under normal driving condition of course.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (UNLTD)

pay @ 90k or pay @ 100K either way....you pay.

Your right though on the scheduled maintenence of 100K.

I'm just ****-retentive about servicing my cars. Especially when it carries my 2 favorite people around everyday. (Wife and Daughter.)

Worth it to me a little early. (Except that damn rattle.....)

-J
Old 06-02-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Re: (quicksilverej6)

als i said before, the car was fine before serviceing, after that you heard a rattle, the cause is obviciously the garage/dealer, so go back and they shoul fix it for free!!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilverej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last Saturday I took my wife's 2001 Base Prelude 5speed to Honda to have its 90K service done. The engine mods are simple; I/H/E, AEM Cam Gears and a VAFC2.

I had them install the following components as part of the maintenence;

HONDA GENUINE:
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Balance Shaft Belt
Thermostat
All Drivetrain Fluids

AFTERMARKET:
Exedy Racing Clutch (Organic Street Disc & Pressure Plate)
Fidanza Light Weight Aluminum Flywheel
Valve Adjustment

The car idles like a sewing machine. Before it was fine, but it just has that "refreshed" sound to its idle now. I am very pleased.

I have noticed a few things though.

Vibrations:

At exactly 1500 and 3000 RPM there is a very distinct and audible vibration/racket that seems to be traveling through the exhaust system. You can set your watch by it. The 1500 vibration is lower pitched than the 3000 vibration. There is nothing that changes the point of vibration it is constistant. (Not to mention annoying as hell.)

Also.....
Power seems slightly off. Cant explain it but it seems to just feel laggy. I dont drive it that often since I drive my b18c5 powered EK daily. Granted I havent really wailed on it due to the break-in period for the clutch. The aligned-timing marks on the Cam Gears are correct. The Cams were locked with a Cam-Lock device so I know they didnt move. (The technician is an aquantence.)

Just curious if the balance shaft belt could be off? What would make such SPECIFIC RPM vibrations? ANY input is appreciated.

-John

</TD></TR></TABLE>
they may mess up ur AEM Cam Gears as they where changing the timing belt. It takes only one point at 1 of the 2 gears to mess your timing, and bad timing = motor vibration