Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Intake Air Butteflies??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Air Butteflies??

I have a fairly stock h22a4 with P72 just bolt ons I/H/E and they guy i bought the car from tuned it (i believe himself) and to say the least it is crap. So i ordered a basemap from phearabe hoping that maybe the car would run better, get better than 17mpg, and stop backfiring everytime i downshift. Well i recieved the basemap and put it in. Well i started the car. First off the car started and died within 5 seconds. I tried it again and it started and idled just fine. I tested the 2 step normally if i launch at 3k it will roast the tires. With this chip i launched at 3k and the car bogged and almost died. Also 0-60 times whent from around 7sec. to 10 sec. I emailed them and they said "We can try sending you another h22 basemap we have, however the basemap is not designed to use intake air butteflies so you will have to keep them open all of the time" I am utterly lost as to why this would be and are they talking about thethrottlebody butterfly? May be a noob question but i have no clue what they mean.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Air Butteflies??

hey man, whats up? I feel your pain..lol, I have a p06 that I converted to a p72, and I have a basemap that you can have... It is a great starting point map, with IAB's (butterfly valves) enabled... it is a strong map.., in fact I have a youtube video of a 0-100 mph pull that I made the day I put this map in use.., the video says chipped p28, but its a p72
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrFSRdVcYyU

the IAB (intake air bypass) or butterfly valves is sort of like a "vtec" for the air intake.. inside the intake manifold there are 4 butterfly valves that look like mini throttle body valves.. the way they work is like vtec...., when your driving, they stay closed until you reach a certain rpm.. then they open and increase your air intake by about double.. with IAB's you have a quicker launch..., if you have a turbo, then yea, leave them open all the time, but until then, or until I get a euro manifold, I'll keep using them

I have an ostrich 2.0 emulator, and a hulog datalogger, that I use with crome pro... I love it.. I have fine tuned that same map over a 6 month period for my ride and it keeps getting better

its not a radical map of any sort.. it was made originlly by xenocron.com as a starting point map for basically stock H22 internals

its yours if you want it... send me an email with your email address and I'll send it to you

dohc22h@gmail.com

Last edited by ben_deez; 04-28-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything that will get my car running without paying a couple hundred $$ for now would be great! Emailed. to honda-tech help/members!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having the IAB enabled or disabled wont really cause a driveability problem. Actually its hardly noticable. I suspect your problem lies elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well with the phearable chip its wasn't a driveablility problem. It was a race ability problem. It felt like my car was put into handicap mode, dragging a 400 lb rock behind me.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt the secondary butterflies are your problem. As previously mentioned, look elsewhere. The basemap may be set for open secondaries and that would cause a bit of a rich condition, but I doubt it'll solve your original problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what you gotta do disconect the vacuum line that goes here and cap both ends look at the pics
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once you remove the vacuum line the butterflies will stay open all the time dont forget to cap the end on the intake manifold
Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at the pics
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once you unplug the vacumm line the AIB's will stay open all the time , the way the work is they are close up to 5000 rpms after that they open up, so if they are close all the time you'll have performance problems on top end
Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can just take the butterfly's out altogether. Just pull the plate out and either get shorter bolts or put some washers in as spacers on the top if needed.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92civlude
Having the IAB enabled or disabled wont really cause a driveability problem. Actually its hardly noticable. I suspect your problem lies elsewhere.
wtf?a p72 can control the iabs anyway. just have to be tunes for the correct opening rpm. get a good tuner. not an ebay tuner
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jprelude92
once you unplug the vacumm line the AIB's will stay open all the time , the way the work is they are close up to 5000 rpms after that they open up, so if they are close all the time you'll have performance problems on top end
no,they are open so that the longer runner is used,then the longer runner is closed off by vacuum and is goes through only the shorter high rpm runners.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.) jprelude92 - I tried that, plugged both of them and only made it worse, would suddenly lose power, then came back and lost, back and forth.

2)Apex1972 - I dont know what you are talking about and for you to suspect i go with egay on some of the most vital parts of a vehicle is offending. Know your facts before you accuse. It is tuned with crome pro which last time i checked is not an ebay program... on to the problem tho the guy that tuned it was a noob, so its getting horrible gas mileage. Thats why i ordered a basemap just for a temporary fix until i have the money to go with a hondata s300 system.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Apex1972
wtf?a p72 can control the iabs anyway. just have to be tunes for the correct opening rpm. get a good tuner. not an ebay tuner
The IABS only enhance torque. They WILL NOT cause an engine to stall, backfire or bog down! His problem is elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Assuming that ebay only contains items of low quality is naive and retarded.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

china is low quality,i get good parts off there.I have a h22 doing a similar problem,got low compression in 2 cylinders from a overrev im sure 210-205-100-90,check it out
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you guys are failing to realize is that a basemap is really only designed to get you to your tuner, from all of this fiddling around trying to track down other problems you could pay a tuner a couple hundred bucks, get 30MPG and more power, and you would be running with a ton less work.

John Vega, who runs Phearable.net is local to me and he has a good reputation locally and around the web for what he does. But he can't work magic. He can't guess how much fuel your setup wants and what kind of timing at random RPMs. Your engine could be unhealthy, you could have a quirky setup, it could be a million things.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jlude90
What you guys are failing to realize is that a basemap is really only designed to get you to your tuner,
I couldnt agree more. John Vega knows his stuff. His chip was only 10 hp off a full dyno tune for me. But a dyno tune is in order.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the jumper in the ecu.... if you don't have a jumper you are running the stock p72 integra map... I have done this by accident causing the same symptoms....

except when my jumper was removed, I was running a civic p06 map which was made for a single cam, non vtec 1.5 liter.... its kind of like giving me a teaspoon of water instead of 3 meals, per day.....
Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember seeing a dyno of this FREE MOD back in the day. IIRC there were small power gains above 4500rpm and loss blow that.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NirVTEC
I remember seeing a dyno of this FREE MOD back in the day. IIRC there were small power gains above 4500rpm and loss blow that.
not worth it
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apex1972
not worth it
Mind u this was on a bone stock H23A1.

I guess it would depend on what you're using the car for......Personally, I can't see any reason to do it....
Although removing them on my BTP IM seemed to do the trick! Between the JUN cams and manifold I saw a 17whp gain at 4000-4500rpm.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that phearable is legit and not by any means am i talking down johns work. Im just lost as to why this is happening and just want to be done with it. im about 2 weeks away (next paycheck) from just going with Hondata S300 system getting it tuned and calling it good. Unless i can manage to get it going before then.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Recieved the second chip from phearable and worked better than the first but still isnt going to cut it. Plugged the vac lines above /\ /\ and helped but know still feels like im towing a 200 lb rock ha. I think i am going to have to break down and just go with hondata tuned. Sick of this nonsense. I am still at a complete loss as to what the h*** is going on! Im just going to have to put up with 17mpg for another month till i have the money for a tune and S300

Quick Reply: Intake Air Butteflies??