Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Gurus Needed! Several problems: Intermittent CEL, No cruise, and how do you adjust ignition timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gurus Needed! Several problems: Intermittent CEL, No cruise, and how do you adjust ignition timing?

I hope someone here is experienced with and/or can help with at least one of my problems.

What I have: 96 H23 Automatic prelude. I just finished rebuilding the engine, and at the same time converted the car to a 5spd. I also installed an OBDII to OBDI conversion harness and a 95 H23 5spd ECU. As far as I know I have checked every fuse in the car and they were all good. The car runs ok, I have most the basic bolt ons, and in fact ran 10.242 in the 1/8 today, once I get some better tires I hope it to be lower.

Problem 1:How do you adjust timing?

There seems to be a slight difference in the distributors 95 and 96. My distributer would not turn if you loosened the bolts because the bottom hole had no adjustment, I made it adjustable by drilling the hole oblong. BUT if you turn the distributor it makes absolutely no difference in the timing, it stays at 13 degrees all the time. I would like to advance it up at least to the factory recommended 15 or maybe 1 or 2 more but how if turning the distributor like the service manual says isn't working?

Problem 2:Intermittent CEL

Occasionally the car is trips a CEL with code 9. The service manual says this is the CYP sensor. But it generally goes out if I restart the car, and it doesn't come on when driving, generally only just after the car is started, or when idling. Sometimes it wont come on for days, other times like today idling through the pits at the drag strip, it came on almost every time i started the car. I've checked out the distributor as best i could and the wires look good. Any ideas on this one?

Problem 3:No Cruise

After I rebuilt the motor and did the tranny conversion, my cruise DID work on the first couple of trips to town. Now the On/Off switch to the left of the steering wheel will light up, but the set/resume buttons do not turn on the cruise, and the indicator light does not come on. The Horn works. Possibly related, the High beam and turn signal indicators by the speedo do not work either, though the actual headlights and turn signals do work. Again i have checked fuses so... wth??

These problems are driving me crazy guys, if anyone can help me I would be very grateful. If you need any more info about what I have or haven't done please reply here, or contact me in chat:
AIM:Xerxes25X
Yahoo:Xerxes_25
MSN:purplechicken62@Hotmail.com <--thats email too.

Modified by Xerxes25 at 10:49 AM 6/24/2004
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Gurus Needed! Several problems: Intermittent CEL, No cruise, and how do you adjust ignition timi

If anyone has any ideas or information about ANY of my problems it would be very much appreciated, im not asking someone to cure all my problems in one post
Old 06-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it might be posible that your timing belt was installed a tooth retarted..hope that helps your timing prob..
Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 PM

Default Re: (LUDERH22)

So moving the cam gears over a tooth is the only way to adjust the ignition timing??
Old 06-25-2004, 05:33 AM

Default Re: (Xerxes25)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xerxes25 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So moving the cam gears over a tooth is the only way to adjust the ignition timing??</TD></TR></TABLE>

no.

When you try to adjust your timing are you jumping the connector used to get the CEL codes?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Behan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Behan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you try to adjust your timing are you jumping the connector used to get the CEL codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never heard of that doing that...
Old 06-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sam1am26)

yup that needs to be done to set the timing correctly
Old 06-25-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (LUDERH22)

Yes, I followed the directions from the 1995 service manual and it did not change the way the motor was running, nor did the timing change =/ So, since i have a 92-95 ECU i dont understand whats different, the ICM has the same part numbers.