Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Electrical issues - blowing fuses (ECU/FI specific)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 04:58 PM
I live under a rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues - blowing fuses (ECU/FI specific)

Ok let me give you guys some background first. We all know my setup more or less, but what you might not know is that the car is now running on the AEM EMS. And was running really well until........ a week and a half ago, i wasn't getting any priming of my fuel pump, a friend suggested it was my main relay and apprently then go bad all the time when they're old. So I went to honda got another relay, car runs great again......... until, last night i'm out scaring one of my friends go through the gears and just as i get into fourth the car dies. Automatically I look under the dash and notice the ECU fuse is blown, so i yank the sunroof fuse put it in the ECU spot, turn the key...... boom blows the fuse again, no matter what I did the fuse would blow. SO i flat tow it home, and that brings us to today, I go through the whole car rewiring and checking connections, becasue the wiring was pretty bad on some things. Anyway I get everything fixed up and looking much better. I go to turn the key and it works, fuse doesn't blow...... turn it of n on a few times, i think m good........ I go to actually start it.... boom blow the fuse. I'm really at a total loss here guys, I can't think of anything else that could be shorted out. I also noticed there are 2 ECU fuse places, one of which didnt have a fuse, so i put one in there(the lower one), and didn't blow any fuses upon turning the key, but a relay of some sort under my hood started to smoke, so i turned it off again. So then i tried different combinations of fuses leave one out one in things like that..... anything blows the fuses, in either location. I just don't understand how this would happen all the sudden. Is there some other place I should be looking? Could the new relay be bad? Like i said, I'm at a loss here, i spent all day looking over it and couldn't find anything. Thanks guys....
Old 07-05-2004, 07:03 PM
I live under a rock

Default Re: Electrical issues - blowing fuses (spoolinlude)

c'mon guys
Old 07-06-2004, 05:00 AM

i doubt you have a relay problem, it's unlikely that would cause fuses to continuously blow.

you must have a short somewhere, two wires touching, a bad ground, the kind of problem that is an absolute pain to diagnose.

do you have a multimeter? do you have a piggyback engine management on the ecu? check all the wiring very carefully (very), if you dont see any problems, there's other stuff you can do (which i won't bother writing out now because i think it's 95% likely it's a wiring problem, especially since you say some of the wiring was pretty bad).

you might have to go far to find the bad wire, and definitely look over ALL the work you have done to the car, and everything that's ever been done to a car. just because a connection was good 2 years ago doesn't mean it's still good now.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:05 AM

i forgot to say...

make sure that you have the correct fuses in ALL the sockets, and that you are using the correct fuse for the circuit. the last thing you want is to have a melted wire running throughout your dash, causing *other* short circuits.

when i bought my lude, someone had put in a 15A fuse instead of 10A, being careless when working around the radio i caused a NIGHTMARE. fuse = protection...buying and changing 50 of them is easier than rewiring half your dash.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I live under a rock

Default Re: Electrical issues - blowing fuses (kablamo)

I hear ya....... i've been pretty meticulous about it already. I rewired the rats nest and can't find anything out of the ordinary just yet.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:50 AM

i'm not sure how the ecu is set up on 4th gens, but try disconnecting as many circuits as possible as there are on the fuse, then check them individually so you will eventually find which element is triggering the fuse to burn out. The ecu is connected to other things such as the accessory module (wipers, turn signals, hazard lights, etc), or other functions. you'd have to look up somewhere what exactly is a part of the circuit, and see if anything is spliced into it (ie v-afc or alarm with starter kill for example).

are you sure the wiring is correct in the first place? does the fuse blow the instant power is applied, or does it take a few minutes? is *everything* else in the car electrical OK?

have you verified the stock electrical connections? it's possible something corroded and broke, and is grounding when it shouldn't be.

i'm sure whatever it is, it's small and stupid. it's just a matter of finding it amongst allllllll the wiring. a PITA.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:49 AM
I live under a rock

Default Re: Electrical issues - blowing fuses (kablamo)

FIXED it.......... my damn alternator wire melted, didn't even think to look at it. rewired/heat shielded it, runs good now. Just won't idle....... think all the screwing around i did my have thrown some **** off in the ECU so i'll have to hook the laptop back up tonite n take a look....... thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 PM

haha no problem

well you see....something completely unrelated as long as it's fixed!