Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

changing gear ratios

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing gear ratios

ok so i know that pretty much any h/f series tranny other then the atts and s2k trans will bolt to any h/f series motor.but my question is can i take the gears out of the trans and replace some of the gears.
example: take 2nd and 3rd gear out of a T2W4 and put it in a M2T4
or do the trans have to be the same series
example: take 5th gear AND FINAL DRIVE out of M2A5 and put it in M2T4

how do i find out what parts are compatiable with what transmissions
there are m,n,p,s,t and u series transmissions. will the parts/gears only work on that pirticular trans or will they work on the same seires trans
Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changing gear ratios

Yes you can change gear sets. Be sure to re shim
Old 02-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every H/F series trans I've seen has 1st and 2nd gear machined into the mainshaft. So you're not able to swap only 2nd gear. You'll have to obtain the mainshaft and swap 1st and 2nd gear sets.

3rd gear out of the H series trans are interchangeable AFAIK.

My current trans is a 5Gen base trans that uses the 4Gen VTEC 4th and 5th gears with an aftermarket FD. The trans I'm building now is a T2W4, and I'm debating whether or not to use a 4Gen VTEC 5th gear along with an aftermarket FD.

I'm not familiar with the M2A5 or M2T4, so I can't really say there, but I've taken my T2W4 apart, and it looks like everything there will interchange, except the T2W4 uses a dual cone synchro on 1st and 2nd (USDM H series trans use a dual cone synchro only on 2nd from what I've seen).

Any time you change gear sets, you'll need to measure the end play on the mainshaft and shim accordingly to stay in spec.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so can i use different gears from different series trans or do i have to keep parts within the trans family
can i use parts from M2T4 in T2W4
or can i only use parts from M2T4 in M2L5 and T2W4 in T2T4
Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 117
Every H/F series trans I've seen has 1st and 2nd gear machined into the mainshaft. So you're not able to swap only 2nd gear. You'll have to obtain the mainshaft and swap 1st and 2nd gear sets.

3rd gear out of the H series trans are interchangeable AFAIK.

My current trans is a 5Gen base trans that uses the 4Gen VTEC 4th and 5th gears with an aftermarket FD. The trans I'm building now is a T2W4, and I'm debating whether or not to use a 4Gen VTEC 5th gear along with an aftermarket FD.

I'm not familiar with the M2A5 or M2T4, so I can't really say there, but I've taken my T2W4 apart, and it looks like everything there will interchange, except the T2W4 uses a dual cone synchro on 1st and 2nd (USDM H series trans use a dual cone synchro only on 2nd from what I've seen).

Any time you change gear sets, you'll need to measure the end play on the mainshaft and shim accordingly to stay in spec.
sorry but what id FD?
i was just wondering if this was possible cus im doing a rhd conversion rite now and it came with motor and trans so ill have a spare motor and trans. im going to build my a4 for turbo and wanted to strech out the gears a little bit . h22 trans are made short for all motor. try turbo h22 trans youll be shifting like vin disel lol

i mean really the 1-4 gears are fine the only thing i really want to do is lower the final drive from 4.266 to 4.062 and change out the fith gear ..685 to save some fuel for highway cruising. this would be the bare minimum i would do but if most are interchangeable then why not change some gears to better suit my application
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, the Accord 5th gear (F series engine) is not a direct swap. I don't know the details because I never cared enough to do the swap, but there have been people that tried. IIRC, you have to machine the 5th gearset to get it to fit.

FD = final drive.

Do change the final drive, you need a new ring gear for the diff and a new countershaft. The FD gear is machined into the countershaft.