Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Car misfires, stalling, and die. Need advices.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car misfires, stalling, and die. Need advices.***

Its an 97 Sh and before this happen it had throw a CKP/TDC sensor code(don't remember what was the exact code). Everything runs normal so I resetted the light. That was months ago.

Then recently, as I cold started the car the rpm will "bounce" around when it is in high idling. Engine doesn't not rev just the rpm's jumping around like around 3k -4.5k rpm's. Then it will settle back to 2.5k. As I press the gas it would bounce around again to 4-5k rpms, Engine rev up normally. Let it idle, and as tempeture going to normal operating, engine would act up and misfires, puffing as rpms drop down to 100-200 rpms. Gave it gas and it would stubble to climb up rpms.

Things that I have checked for or have try to fix the problem.
- New distributor and new ign. module. ( didn't fix the problem)
-Test both the new and old distributor following the trouble shooting flow chart, tested ok
- Follow trouble shooting flow chart for TDC/CKP sensor. Measure resistance and continuity to body ground as directly with Helm's manual. ( everything check out as it should be)

Things that I haven't gone through:
-EGR
-MAP

Why would my rpms bounce around like that if the TDC/CKp sensor check out fine and it does start the car?

I don't want to throw in a new $300 sensor until I get some opinion in so please guys if you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Modified by special_edition at 1:27 AM 1/23/2007
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car misfires, stalling, and die. Need advices.*** (special_edition)

Anyones?

I tried unplugging the MAP and thought the car started better and rev fine until moments later, rpms will bounce around as I touch the accelerator. It would idle like at 100 rpms straving to stay alive. Same things happen when its still plugged in. NO codes have been retrieve concerning the TDC/CKP sensor.

I'm at a lost. So any inputs I can oblige on please let me know.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are u getting any cels now? Did u check every one of ur grounds to make sure they're on tight? And also, check ur spark plugs and see if they're runnin right or if they might tell u something. Running without the map sensor's ganna make u run really rich. I know that on obd2 engines the TDC or CKP sensor is actually on the block of the engine and not in the distributor, which could be the problem. Although I don't know a whole lot about that cause i've never had to deal with it, search around or ask somone how to replace that sensor inside the engine block.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car misfires, stalling, and die. Need advices.*** (JasonST)

MIL are not on. Plugs are good since it only a couple hundred miles on them. Ground wire checked.

Yes, I am aware that the TDC/CKP sensor are behind the timing belts and I have checked for continuity and resistance as follow with the helms manual and it checked out fine.

I know it expensive and time consuming to replace that sensor so I'm hoping someone who might have the same problem tells me otherwise.

Compression test were done and it was around the same number.

Lets recap:
-car start fine
-rev up fine
-as it started to reach operating temperature, rpm would "bounce" around when you press on the accelerator
-rpm drop down to 100 rpm and engine streiving to survive.
-then it would sometime die and hard to start back up again. (check for spark so it getting a crank signal)
-when rpm needle bounce around as you rev up the engine would shake and misfire. No mil light was illuminated

So the million dollar question is: Is the TDC/CKP sensor at fault?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem dude, and yes, my car is throwing some CKP codes (and I have NOT resetted the ECU). I'm afraid replacing that sensor will fix your problem, or at least get it out limp mode.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car misfires, stalling, and die. Need advices.*** (El_Arsonista)

El_Arsonista - Could you explain more about your condition? Does the rpm's jump around, stalling?

Mine had never throw the TDC/CKP sensor code since months ago when it first appear
Old 01-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is most likely that sensor. so oil is fine, plugs look normal?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by special_edition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">El_Arsonista - Could you explain more about your condition? Does the rpm's jump around, stalling?

Mine had never throw the TDC/CKP sensor code since months ago when it first appear</TD></TR></TABLE>

Special, I don't have "permissions" to instant message, so sorry if I didn't reply to your PMs.

Anyway, my car's condition goes like this:

- Starts fine
- Idles fine
- Once warm, Engine won't rev past 3000 rpm (Limp mode)
- While driving, if I try to get past the rev limiter by giving it a lot of gas, the car will misfire, jerk around and stall. Probably because too much fuel is being injected while the car can't compress it/combust it. If I leave it off for a couple of minutes, it'll start fine again.
- I have the CEL on.

When I pulled the CEL codes out, this is what it gave me:

P0336 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A)
P0325 (Knock sensor 1/Circuit Malfunction) I believe seeing one of my knock sensors rusted too
P1362 (Misfire)
P1361 (Misfire)

I never ever resetted the CEL by any means. I'll see if I fix the CKP sensor this weekend and if that gets my car out of limp mode. I've been told the knock sensor won't throw it into limp mode.

By the way, CKP sensors are expensive and I believe you have to remove the timing belt covers to get to them.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Car misfires, stalling, and die. Need advices.

1996 SI Prelude OBD2

Also getting P0336,P1361 and P1381 in no certain order. '96 prelude SI service manual cannot be found (For OBD2), so I am wondering where they put the cockamayme sensors?
Please continue with answers so's we all can get a good nite's sleep