Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Automatic transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission problems

I have a 98 prelude, auto-trans. When I start out in overdrive when it's cold, it stays in first gear. If I put it in 3rd to start out, it will shift, but revs between shifts. It doesn't necessarily slip, just revs before it shifts. It shifts better if I get on it a little. Once it warms up , it will shift in OD but still revs between shifts. Could this be a pressure problem? Is it vacuum controlled or electronic? Any help would be appreciated. I have them lined up at my door to put a trans in for $2500. The car has only 85,000 miles on it and has never been beat. Thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (MilanoRedLST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MilanoRedLST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 98 prelude, auto-trans. When I start out in overdrive when it's cold, it stays in first gear. If I put it in 3rd to start out, it will shift, but revs between shifts. It doesn't necessarily slip, just revs before it shifts. It shifts better if I get on it a little. Once it warms up , it will shift in OD but still revs between shifts. Could this be a pressure problem? Is it vacuum controlled or electronic? Any help would be appreciated. I have them lined up at my door to put a trans in for $2500. The car has only 85,000 miles on it and has never been beat. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

the SS (sports shift auto) transmissions in 5th gen preludes are legendary...

for being hunks of steaming crap. this is probably a sign that your tranny is on its last legs and maybe a good time to start looking for replacements. not sure but you MAY be covered by the extended 100,000 mi warranty for SS transmissions.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (bad-monkey)

damn 2500? might as well do a auto-5speed swap. ss tranny is known to **** up.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the SS (sports shift auto) transmissions in 5th gen preludes are legendary...

for being hunks of steaming crap. this is probably a sign that your tranny is on its last legs and maybe a good time to start looking for replacements. not sure but you MAY be covered by the extended 100,000 mi warranty for SS transmissions.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry man, no extended warranty for you. Honda extended the warranty on the transmissions for '00 and '01. '97, '98, and '99 owners were left out in the cold. It's time for a 5 speed swap, because the rebuilt automatics are troublesome. Read here: http://www.hpoa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (MilanoRedLST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MilanoRedLST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. I have them lined up at my door to put a trans in for $2500. The car has only 85,000 miles on it and has never been beat. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

another thiing. don't drive a ss when its cold. let it at least idle at 1krpm. (about 5 minutes after start up..) also, is that price for a brand new oem ss? i got a rebuild for about 1600 and that's with all new parts from honda. and 85k is when mine falied its pretty scary driving on the highway when ur tranny "slips".

if anything, and IF you get a good price for a 5spd swap do that. And if you really like the 5th gen lude, just sell the ss and buy a 5spd cause it'll be cheaper that way. preludes still have good resale value. considering if its in good condition.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (azndng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by azndng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i got a rebuild for about 1600 and that's with all new parts from honda.

And if you really like the 5th gen lude, just sell the ss and buy a 5spd cause it'll be cheaper that way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

$1600 is about the cost of the parts for the 5 speed swap, so if you can wrench it will cost the same.

How would it possibly be cheaper to sell a malfunctioning SS 'Lude and purchase a 5 speed S or SH? Nobody would pay a reasonable price for a car that can't be driven.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (Jim Truett)

is your fluid level ok?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (Jim Truett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
'97, '98, and '99 owners were left out in the cold. [/url]</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd still check with your local Honda service department. My service tech told me that my 1999 Prelude is covered with a 7yr/100,000 warranty for the transmission. I don't know if he made a mistake, but I didn't even ask him if I was covered...he just ran my VIN# to see if there were any recalls that needed to be done (I had just bought the vehicle) and the statement about the warranty came up. This was about a month or so ago, so maybe Honda extended it to the older Preludes now???

In any case, just call and see if it is covered...you don't have much to lose.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (fubar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

$1600 is about the cost of the parts for the 5 speed swap, so if you can wrench it will cost the same.

How would it possibly be cheaper to sell a malfunctioning SS 'Lude and purchase a 5 speed S or SH? Nobody would pay a reasonable price for a car that can't be driven.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1600 was for labor and parts. you didn't factor in labor for a 5spd. and i dont' think he'd wanna do it himself.

if the ss is indeed 'malfunctioning' then i'll agree it'll be hard to sell.. but if its some fluid or other problem other then the ss failure, he can get a decent price for it. if anything, you can compensate with years. say 97 5spd for his 98 ss. also mileage etc etc. it really depends on where you find the prelude. i know for a fact that my area, i can sell my car a 97 ss, and i can prolly buy a 5spd 97 with the money i sold it for. of course not dealer, cause they love to jack up prices.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic transmission problems (azndng)

Thank you for all of the replies.