Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

95 Prelude Jack Stand Points? Are these locations safe (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Prelude Jack Stand Points? Are these locations safe (pictures)

Just wondering where I can put my jack stands, I have a set of 4 jack stands that are "U" shapped on top such that the tops of the "U" would damage my car if I put them under the pinch weld points in front of the rear tires and behind the front tires. Here is a picture of them...

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...p-00950159000P

I have some pictures below and was wondering if these would be safe places to jack the car.
The first picture is of the rear, can I put jack stands under where I have circled?
The second picture I put a box around what I think is the frame, is this a safe location to place my jack stands?

I don't want to do something stupid and get myself crushed, so of course I am making very sure I am doing this right.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Prelude Jack Stand Points? Are these locations safe (pictures)

why cant you use the standard jacking points as showing in photo 2?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by daveypower
why cant you use the standard jacking points as showing in photo 2?
I have a set of 4 jack stands that are "U" shapped on top such that the tops of the "U" would damage my car if I put them under the pinch weld points in front of the rear tires and behind the front tires. Pinch weld points = standard jacking points
Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put it under the frame and you'll bend it, just put them where the 4 normal points are that stick down past the side skirts. Jack the car from the tow hooks, some people get all confused and lift it from the reinforced points.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
Put it under the frame and you'll bend it, just put them where the 4 normal points are that stick down past the side skirts. Jack the car from the tow hooks, some people get all confused and lift it from the reinforced points.
That is exactly my problem. I appreciate it, I guess I will need to buy new jack stands, I can't hold up my car with my current stands from those points. The "U" shape to them would tear into the sides of the car. So what i have been doing is pulling the tops out of the stands and resting the car on the stand base. I just can't get the car up very high this way.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never bent my lift points using jack stands, you're not putting them in the right place, the 4 points stand out and are hard to miss.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
I've never bent my lift points using jack stands, you're not putting them in the right place, the 4 points stand out and are hard to miss.
No, I know where they go, that is not my problem. I can't put them there because of the shape of my jack stands, they are more for an axle, U shape, more for a truck or SUV. The U shape is deep enough such that the hard point won't reach the bottom of the U before the tops of the U tear into the car.

The situation is hard to describe, here is a link to what my jack stands look like.

http://evergreen-rentals.com/images/jackstands.jpg

It's ok, it is apparent that I will need new jack stands with flatter tops, or go back to what I have been doing, which is to pull the tops out of my jack stands and use the base only
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, get the small size jack stands, I think I paid $30 for the jack and stands. They should have more than enough strength to hold up the car, and the U will be shallower, fitting on the pinch weld without damaging the car. Also, I have used the points in front where the front cross member bolts to the car body as a very strong place to put stands, although there isn't anything really there to keep the car on the stands, so level concrete if your using stands. If you are on gravel/dirt use drive-on ramps.
GL
Mike
Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mherkamp
yeah, get the small size jack stands, I think I paid $30 for the jack and stands. They should have more than enough strength to hold up the car, and the U will be shallower, fitting on the pinch weld without damaging the car. Also, I have used the points in front where the front cross member bolts to the car body as a very strong place to put stands, although there isn't anything really there to keep the car on the stands, so level concrete if your using stands. If you are on gravel/dirt use drive-on ramps.
GL
Mike
Good stuff, there are some 2.25 ton stands for $20 on sears.com.