Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

who uses their bike as a primary transport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:40 AM
cthulward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who uses their bike as a primary transport?

At some point this year, either in May or August/September, Ill be moving out west to the phoenix area.

I was thinking of using a bike as my only form of transportation, given that the person i will live with has a car.

So, my question - For those of you that have previously or are currently using only a bike to commute and travel, would you recommend it? why or why not? I have read that it can become a PITA to ride every day due to weather and constantly running the risk of being smashed by a cager.

Any advise from my fellow /26'ers?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who uses their bike as a primary transport? (ragnaroek)

I used it as a primary mode in college my last year. I had a car but quite a few times it sat for a week or so without being touched. With a bike the obvious downside is you can't carry much and the weather. If the weather is nice it's fine but honestly I wouldn't get rid of a car to just get a bike. There are times where you absolutely need a car and a bike won't do
Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I enjoy the mental break that driving a cage offers. When you're on a motorcycle, your brain has to be 100% all the time since you are so mch more vulnerable out there.

Not to say you can shut off your brain when driving, but it's definitely less stressful.

What brings you out to Phoenix?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

i use my bike as my only transportation since i blew the motor in my car...and i can honestly say that i miss havin a car....there are a lot of times where you're gonna need a car....so i wouldnt get rid of your car, just a buy a bike
Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been using my bike & scooter for transport lately; it is good to have a car to fall back on (thanks jams) though for rain, things that you can't carry or whatever.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (.Ash)

All i own is my bike.

Its awesome.

It can be done easily...just make sure you keep a rainsuit in your backpack...along with a chain tool...and a couple links...and just be prepared for anything.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I enjoy the mental break that driving a cage offers. When you're on a motorcycle, your brain has to be 100% all the time since you are so mch more vulnerable out there.

Not to say you can shut off your brain when driving, but it's definitely less stressful.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-03-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (rusted_eyes)

I'm not sure that the OP is getting rid of his car completely, but if he is, here are a few reasons I can think of why having ONLY a bike would royally suck.....

Rain
Packing seperate outfits and changing upon arrival
Grocery shopping?
Any kind of shopping?
Going on dates? You can't always take the bike.
When you're sick? You don't want to ride a bike if you have the stomach flu or a really bad cold.
If you lay your bike down...what are you going to use for transportation?

I'm sure there's a million other reasons out there, just thought I'd share a few.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4-ageTOg63)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4-ageTOg63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All i own is my bike.

Its awesome.

It can be done easily...just make sure you keep a rainsuit in your backpack...along with a chain tool...and a couple links...and just be prepared for anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. I own a car, but the engine is being rebuilt. Even when it's runnning, I guarantee all I'll use is my bike. I like the idea that you have to be more prepared, use your brain more, and enjoy the ride. It's something that sets me free from my daily grind of work/school etc.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
cthulward

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What brings you out to Phoenix?</TD></TR></TABLE>

grad school, girlfriend, hatred of snow

the only weather concern i have is actually heat. peak of summer in phx is hell, even with the relatively low humidity. rain has never stopped me from riding, unless it is a total downpour.

the other concern i have is all the blue-haired retirees out in the phx area. i have heard that the metro-phx area is one of the worst in the nation for red-light running.

however, i love riding and can only have either a car or a bike. i cannot afford to have both for at least the next few years.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ragnaroek)

My scooter is the only thing I really use. I had to drive my car last week - it hasn't been moved in over 2 months and was looking a mess. Needed to get the fluids moving about.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragnaroek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">grad school, girlfriend, hatred of snow </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well at least the first and last are valid reasons.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4-ageTOg63)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4-ageTOg63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All i own is my bike.

Its awesome.

It can be done easily...just make sure you keep a rainsuit in your backpack...along with a chain tool...and a couple links...and just be prepared for anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

I sold my car about a month ago and i don't think ill be owning another car for a long time. I love riding more then anything. ive never ridden with a rain suit but if I was going to work i'd want something to keep my pants dry. leather is nice!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: who uses their bike as a primary transport? (ragnaroek)

im at school and i left my car at hoe so my bike is my only transportation. It only sucks cuz in he winter i cant ride, and if it rains hard i dont want to ride. but you said youre in AZ so i guess that doesnt apply too much for you.

that and since i'm at school, all the speed liits are relatively slow, there's bikes and scooters everywhere, so drivers are used to us, and i don't hav to go very far so it's not as dangerous as having to jump on the whighway to get to work twenty miles away or whatever.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridcrx)

I do, the benefits (gas milage, lane splitting) outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion. However my "mandatory" daily commute is only like 30 miles and the weather is always nice.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure that the OP is getting rid of his car completely, but if he is, here are a few reasons I can think of why having ONLY a bike would royally suck.....

Rain
Packing seperate outfits and changing upon arrival
Grocery shopping?
Any kind of shopping?
Going on dates? You can't always take the bike.
When you're sick? You don't want to ride a bike if you have the stomach flu or a really bad cold.
If you lay your bike down...what are you going to use for transportation?

I'm sure there's a million other reasons out there, just thought I'd share a few.</TD></TR></TABLE>

doesn't rain that much
wtf? I ride in the clothes I work in, +gloves/jacket/helmet.
dollar menu
backpack
chick pays for gas that way
riding sick makes you feel better
if you crash your car... what are you going to use for transportation? same ****.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do, the benefits (gas milage, lane splitting) outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion. However my "mandatory" daily commute is only like 30 miles and the weather is always nice.

doesn't rain that much
wtf? I ride in the clothes I work in, +gloves/jacket/helmet.
dollar menu
backpack
chick pays for gas that way
riding sick makes you feel better
if you crash your car... what are you going to use for transportation? same ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i miss so cal. but ill be back one day...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
cthulward

Default Re: (85)

well, after looking over my options and sulking around for a few days, i think i have an idea of what im going to do. if i can sell the car i have now for a decent price, ill pick up a cheap pickup truck. with the leftover money i can then easily afford the insurance for both vehicles. plus i'll have a means of transporting my stuff and my bike from illinois to arizona.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good plan. I am in favor of a bike as your primary form of transportation, I did it myself back in '99/'00 when I lived in Norfolk. It's great about 90% of the time. The other 10% it's nice to have a car (or truck in your case), so you can get a break.