Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

VFR700 Project For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VFR700 Project For Sale

1986/1987 VFR700 Project & Parts

Well, I'm selling all my VFR stuff. I don't have room or time for this project anymore - time for it all to go. Everything is located in Falls Church, Virginia (22046) and available for pickup only. If you're interested make an offer and we'll go from there. I'm not looking to make any money and unless you're thinking about offering $200 you're not going to offend me with lowball offers. If you want an area lets start ar $900.

I can be contacted at almost any time at asteele2@gmail.com

Background:
This bike started life as my first motorcycle. I bought it from a guy who had about 13 bikes and was thinning the herd. He said he'd been riding most of his life and had taken good care of it. It had about 18,000 miles on it then (I think this was about 2003). I did the usual new bike thing... dropped it here and there, rode it every chance I got, and so on and so forth. It's got somewhere north of 50,000 miles on the motor now, although if you know these motors they'll go to well over 100,000, and was running without problems when I tore it down. Mechanically I'd
trust the motor to take me anywhere (and I often did - it's never had to come home in the bed of a truck). I tore it down because it was giving me the standard regimen of VFR electrical issues. I went through a battery of R/R's and, uhm, batteries before I finally gave up. I was going to part it out on ebay until I found a parts bike that I thought could rejuvinate my fun. I had (and kind of still do) a street fighter dream. The form of the bike is there, you can see from the pictures what I was aiming for. To solve the electrical issues my best friend (a BMW motorcycle mechanic... I personally have no claim to fame) and I removed all the non-essential parts of the wiring harness. What remains now is all that's needed for the motorcycle to actually run. To go on the street an auxilury harness will need to be made for lights (none currently on bike)... which is really a pretty simple task. Right now it looks like a rats nest but it's worlds better than the defunct, buggered up contraption that Honda shipped the bike with. If it were going to be for the track or something else then the wiring is almost done. All of the major components needed to make the bike run are present. At the moment it's hung up on the carburetors. There are two COMPLETE sets of carbs: one is from a European 1987 750 and the other set is what the bike came with from the factory. There are about 6 single carbs that I have just hanging out in boxes which could be good for parts - they're in various states of disrepair. Honestly I don't know much about carbs. The euro carbs are totally clean and good to go, but the motorcycle won't stay running with them. The original 700 carbs start and run the
motorcycle but they need a cleaning (starts using some carb cleaner as starting fluid). The cooling system is not on the bike but everything needed for it is there, minus the rubber tubing. The motor holds compresison, has spark, etc etc, the carbs are the only issue for it.

The subframe is trimmed, the seat is trimmed but needs some more sculpting. I have black vinyl cover for the seat so it'll look pretty when it's done. It'll need a chain, and some other little goodies that I'm just not remembering. Mostly, though, between the spares that come with the bike and what's on it, it's complete. Etc. etc.

I know there are a ton of things I'm leaving out, but the pictures pretty much speak for themselves. Bike has CLEAN Virginia Title. The bike itself would be good for parts, and so would the parts that comes along with it. It would also be great if
you love VFRs and want a project, or have a parts bike already to finish this with, or whatever. In addition to what's pictured there are lots of little odds and ends that I didn't bother taking out of the boxes - wires, nuts & bolts, etc. I'm going to try and list an approximation of the spares parts.

Radiator
Thermostat
Thermostat housing
Spare Valve Covers
Spare Left Engine Casing
Spare Right Engine Casing
4 Spare Coils
Spare carb plate
Full set of spare carbs
Lots of single spare carbs
Factory exhaust
Side Panels
Spare metal coolant tubing
Various Clip ons and switchgears
Full front brake system
2 sets of spare forks (in addition to what's mounted on the bike)
4 spare fork tubes
1 set spare triples
Spare Front Wheel
Spare Rear Wheel
Spare frame (tab for left side rear set broken)
Spare Oil Cooler
Semi-usable coolant lines
Front Fender
Rear fender, trimmed for use with fighter design
Spare motor with good compression (without case covers on it).
Wiring Diagram

Well, I got about 3/4 of the way through it before my priorities changed. I'm thinking about leaving my tinkering

behind in favor of things that don't need to be tinkered with. I've done my best to photo document the work I've

done, and I've even got a couple vids of the bike starting and running for a few seconds (I shut it off to keep it

from heating up because without coolant in it). But please understand that this isn't a turn-key anything.

All the VFR stuff you can see is included:

Old 06-25-2007, 06:08 AM
.RJ

Default Re: VFR700 Project For Sale (ASteele2)

Holy ****, Phil without hair.

Bump, get this turd out of the garage
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Love the juice shot. Speaks volumes.

G/L with the sale.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Love the juice shot. Speaks volumes.

G/L with the sale.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, sir. That's the mechanic in the shot. He's working on restoring his first bike right now, a portion of the proceeds will go towards a nick-nack for his funny German bike.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Bump!

http://washingtondc.craigslist....html
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Bump - tell anybody that's interested to make an offer. I'm negotiable.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Bike runs now - and come with THREE sets of carbs.

Come take it off my hands!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 PM

Some pics from today:

Lots more images:

Working on the fork-mount oil cooler:

And Phil on the wiring harness:

We mounted up the fuel pump:

More work:

Finished (bad) oil cooler mount. The second edition will be better now that I know what works and doesn't:

See - doesn't the harness look better? Yay Phil!

Obligatory across the garage confused shots:

Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM
crazy mad murdock

dude the guy in the guiness shirt looks like Sean Penn
Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: (csingham)

On t3h Ebays!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...21000