Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Question about sprockets and odometer/speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about sprockets and odometer/speedometer

If you put a 15 tooth front sprocket on a bike, I assume the speedometer will read higher than it should. But would this also affect the odometer?
Say for instance your bigger front sprocket makes your bike show 80mph when you are really only going 55mph. Wouldn't this also make your odometer run faster than it should? TIA.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM

does your bike have the speedometer reading off the front wheel?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, your odometer will move faster. Assuming, as turbo_sbc is asking, the speedometer is not measured at the front wheel.

Putting a larger front sprocket on will make your gearing longer, so your speedometer will read lower than your actual speed (if it's not measured at the wheel).
Old 07-07-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, your odometer will move faster. Assuming, as turbo_sbc is asking, the speedometer is not measured at the front wheel.

Putting a larger front sprocket on will make your gearing longer, so your speedometer will read lower than your actual speed (if it's not measured at the wheel).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the guy said the owner before him put on a 15tooth sprocket which made his speedometer show a faster speed than he is really going and in turn also raised the mileage on the bike a lot higher.

What he is saying makes sense but I wasn't sure which is why I ask.

Its a 2004 Honda 600RR (yes I'm thinking about comming back lol)
Anyway I dont know if it will read from the front wheel or the back.. how could I check this?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 600RR does not read from the front wheel.

Your front sprocket has 14T stock. If you go up in the rear sprocket, or down in the front, your speedo will be reading faster than you're actually travelling. Vice versa (down in the rear, up in the front), then your speedo should be reading slower than you're actually travelling.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the speed sensor is in the crankcase on the 600RR, it reads off the tranny. this means, that the speedo and odo will read high as the gears are moving faster to go the same MPH.

it would be no where near reading 80 @ 55mph if he just went 1 tooth down in the front (stock is 16 tooth). i would guess about 10% off, i.e. doing 100mph when indicating 110mph. mebbe a bit more, speedos are not very accurate to begin with, but i hear the 600RR speedo is pretty accurate.

the mileage will be higher, but not alot really, i dont think it would effect the sale price of the bike to have a few thousand more miles. if he is trying to tell you some BS like it reads 20K but only has 10k, he is either misleading you, or has been misled himself.

it really doesnt matter, when it sells it will have the odometer reading disclosed to the state, and this is what your official mileage will be listed as in carfax and the such, the value is based of the mileage reading, not what the seller "thinks" the mileage is at.

anyway, you can get a "yellowbox" that corrects it, or just dont even worry about it. lower gearing = the goods

p.s. if you are worried about mileage, dont be. my bike is about to hit 56K. hondas make wonderful motors!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smokee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smokee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hondas make wonderful motors!</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
Old 07-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (smokee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smokee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the speed sensor is in the crankcase on the 600RR, it reads off the tranny. this means, that the speedo and odo will read high as the gears are moving faster to go the same MPH.

it would be no where near reading 80 @ 55mph if he just went 1 tooth down in the front (stock is 16 tooth). i would guess about 10% off, i.e. doing 100mph when indicating 110mph. mebbe a bit more, speedos are not very accurate to begin with, but i hear the 600RR speedo is pretty accurate.

the mileage will be higher, but not alot really, i dont think it would effect the sale price of the bike to have a few thousand more miles. if he is trying to tell you some BS like it reads 20K but only has 10k, he is either misleading you, or has been misled himself.

it really doesnt matter, when it sells it will have the odometer reading disclosed to the state, and this is what your official mileage will be listed as in carfax and the such, the value is based of the mileage reading, not what the seller "thinks" the mileage is at.

anyway, you can get a "yellowbox" that corrects it, or just dont even worry about it. lower gearing = the goods

p.s. if you are worried about mileage, dont be. my bike is about to hit 56K. hondas make wonderful motors!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the good info.

I'm not so worried about mileage being high. I'd just like to know exactly what is done to the bike before I buy it. He said the owner before him raised it one tooth to 15T. If you say 600RR came with 16T then it would make sense why the odo and speedo are reading higher than it should.
I don't think he said that the speedo was that off but like you said maybe 10% or so. I guess I'll find out once I get it.. should have it in a week.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:20 PM

31k on my 94 cbr

and my speedo reads off of the front wheel that is why i was asking
1 tooth down on the front and 2 up in the rear speedo reads fine... 7k rpms at 80mph