Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Poor Choices Can Add Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Choices Can Add Up

RJ and I were leaving the track this past Saturday after back-tracking to get something we forgot. There's a section of road just outside the track that's fairly twisty and a few of the turns can catch you out if you're not paying attention. As we're approaching a 90° left hander, probably no more than 50 feet from it, when we see an R6 coming through the turn way too fast. In the blink of an eye the rider, who had a passenger, had run wide into our lane. It was clear he was headed off the road because he was in too deep and way too hot at about 50mph in a 20mph turn. He realized this grabbed as much front brake as he could.

The front wheel locked up, washed out nearly immediately and the bike low-sided. The bike actually fell on them but it's momentum carried it off the road as they started to tumble across the pavement. I hit the brakes and they probably passed not more than 30 feet in front of us. They tumbled past us and kept rolling into the tall grass off the road. We pulled off the side of the road and went over to see how they were. They ended up probably 30 feet into the 5 foot tall grass and the bike maybe another 20 beyond that.

He was up pretty quickly but was wearing a t-shirt, shorts and skate shoes that weren't tied. The right side of his body was pretty torn up and he lost a shoe, but he didn't seem that bad off. His girlfriend, who really wasn't moving when we got to her, didn't fare as well. She was lying on her side but we asked her repeatedly about her neck and back before we rolled her over onto her back. We then tested that she could track an object with her eyes before we took her helmet off. Her helmet was pretty scratched up and the shield flew off on impact, we think because it was up when the crashed. She had a leather jacket on but it wasn't zipped up all the way and ended up with road rash on her... sensitive parts. They were both wearing gloves but it seemed pretty clear she had broken at least her thumb, if not her wrist. She had jeans that saved her legs but was wearing sandals so she also had rash on her one foot. She couldn't put much weight on the same foot so she probably sprained it when they went down.

I had RJ get the first aid kit out of my trunk and they wiped down all the rash and applied bandages. RJ then stood the bike up and inspected it for damage, which was bad enough that it wasn't road worthy. I don't remember all that was busted, but we ended up leaving it there to transport them back to his truck at the track. He thanked us for stopping and I told him we were both riders and not to worry about it. On our way back to the track, we tried to convince them to visit EV, but he wanted us to take them back so he could drive to the ER. He thanked us again, asked for my number and we went on our way. I got an unconfirmed report this morning that they ended up getting transported by EV because they were drunk and didn't want to drive. Not sure if that's true, but hopefully they learned their lesson if it is.

I've been riding for 2.5 years and this if my first time seeing someone go down. My friends have gone down a bunch of times and one actually went off at triple digit speeds at VIR this past Friday and broke a bone or two. Even seeing countless "after" effects, it really doesn't put what going down does to your body into perspective. Seeing them tumble across the ground, seconds before we go to the turn, was a pretty stark reminder of the responsibility we take when throw a leg over. The fact of the matter is these people were extremely lucky. The rolled into a field but could have easily ended up running into a tree, a fence, a culvert or even worse, my car. Had they hit my driver's door doing 50, I probably would be just as messed up as them. Who knows, they might even be dead right now. Anyway, be safe out there folks, your safety is your own responsibility.

For the record, it doesn't have me reconsidering riding.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (Apocalypse)

I'm glad to hear seeing that didn't spook you! Were you at the track doing a track day or as a spectator? If you were riding on the track good on you. I've been riding twice as long as you, yet I've never been on a track (merely due to lack of funds)

I've had a couple get-offs on the street. Some my fault, some not. But i've always worn my gear, and been able to ride away. The stuff goes a long way, and is not to be overlooked.

If they actually were drunk riding then
Old 06-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (GermanHondaSlayer)

were you at summit this weekend?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (EngineNoO9)

that is crazy! So they were drunk riding? Glad to hear they survived, that would have had me shook for awhile. to you guys for helping out as much as you could
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I watched my friend go down go down right in front of my eyes while he was doing something stupid. He was within 10 feet of crashing into a guard rail and missed a park car...

He got lucky and only suffered some road rash, and a thousand or so $ worth of damage to his bike, but even still... my heart skipped a beat, and the split second it took him to get up afterwards seemed to last forever. It's definitely something I don't ever want to see again
Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a road bike story, but just this friday me and my dad were out dirtbiking and he took a really bad spill. i had to load everything up and drive him to the emergency where it turned out he fractured a rib. luckily he had a chest protector on or it could have been alot worse. seeing someone go down sucks but its always harder when its someone you care about.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (unusual71)

nothing like having a friend low side into a guard rail screaming in agony cause he shattered his pelvis, broke his femur, broke some ribs, and ruptured his stomach needing a medivac to make you rethink if its really worth it to take so many risks on the street...
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to highjack but I have a question:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> We then tested that she could track an object with her eyes before we took her helmet off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

From MSF, I've been told to never ever ever take a downed rider's helmet off, for fear of exacerbating injuries to the neck/spine.

If for some reason the helmet absolutely had to come off, say they were choking on something, checking whether or not the victim can track an object with his/her eyes makes it ok?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Much props on staying there and helping and making sure they were ok... Good karma
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (!xobile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GermanHondaSlayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm glad to hear seeing that didn't spook you! Were you at the track doing a track day or as a spectator? If you were riding on the track good on you. I've been riding twice as long as you, yet I've never been on a track (merely due to lack of funds)</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">were you at summit this weekend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was racing (car) at Summit this past weekend. RJ was there to crew for me Saturday and he did a bike track day on Sunday on the Shenendoah circuit. I have yet to do a bike track day, hopefully this September.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by !xobile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From MSF, I've been told to never ever ever take a downed rider's helmet off, for fear of exacerbating injuries to the neck/spine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, but he was hell bent on taking her helmet off. I told him we should call someone but he didn't want any cops showing up (I'm guessing cause he was drinking?). I said if was going to take it off, at least test that her pupils were responsive and had tracking ability. She has zero neck or back pain so I wasn't going to fight the guy to keep her helmet on.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Anyway, be safe out there folks, your safety is your own responsibility.

For the record, it doesn't have me reconsidering riding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't have said it any better, and me neither
Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I was racing (car) at Summit this past weekend. RJ was there to crew for me Saturday and he did a bike track day on Sunday on the Shenendoah circuit. I have yet to do a bike track day, hopefully this September.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

figured it was summit once you mentioned the twisty part. I hate driving that with the trailer behind me. People get all impatient behind you and ****
Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (EngineNoO9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

figured it was summit once you mentioned the twisty part. I hate driving that with the trailer behind me. People get all impatient behind you and **** </TD></TR></TABLE>
It's the final test, if you can't make it through there with a trailer, they don't want you on the track
Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (Pauldo)

I made it through though my truck got a flat last time Some of the guys with the big *** trailers... man no thanks, that'd be miserable
Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was that turn right by the school wasnt it? seen a few cars off the road there before if so(back when I was doing pizza delivery, haha)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (gots_a_sol)

damn sounds wild. drinkin and riding for the loss.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RJ and I were leaving the track this past Saturday ............</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm.

The only thing I would say is never remove a crash helmet from any rider unless they are having difficulty breathing. Secure them and keep them talking whilst waiting for paramedics is my advice.

More importantly did he get his shoe back, odd skating shoes are nasty?

Interested when your track day might be?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:57 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (Luke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interested when your track day might be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm working on him. I think I can get him out to the track in September @ the Keith Code school. I'm hooked... i'm so over cars
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm working on him. I think I can get him out to the track in September @ the Keith Code school. I'm hooked... i'm so over cars </TD></TR></TABLE>

I made the mistake of telling my wife about Matt. We'll see.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I made the mistake of telling my wife about Matt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You dummy.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Beard

I made the mistake of telling my wife about Matt. We'll see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BF?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (Rguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BF?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jealous?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Beard

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Jealous?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dunno, does he have more expensive things that he cant afford than me?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Poor Choices Can Add Up (Rguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BF?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's to me what Paul Baz is to you. A friend who crashes a bit more than he should.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Beard

HAH!

Quick Reply: Poor Choices Can Add Up