Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

First bike (2 smoke)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike (2 smoke)

Hey guys, I'll try to be brief. I'm about 180cm/just under six foot and 90kg/200lb (but in the process of losing weight fwiw) and I'm wanting to buy my first bike.
I've had my Learners for too long (a month) I really want to start riding.
I was set on an I4 because of the insane revs, but after talking to a rider I respect I'm a bit put off of them.. I still like the idea, and want to ride one, but idk.. I'm not so keen on buying one anymore.
He suggested a 1/2 cylinder, like a CBF or a kwaka GPX as my first bike.

I've come across a (suzuki) RG250 Gamma for $1800. Bike looks very tidy and the seller claims to have done fresh work to the motor.
I will use it to get around a little, but it is not a "commuter" per say.
I'm buying a bike to learn to (eventually) ring out in the hills, not go places in peak traffic with lots of stopping and starting.

With all this in mind, do you see any problems in me getting a 2 stroke as a first bike?
The person I spoke to's main concern was a lack of power at low revs, why can't I just rev more with clutch not fully engaged or in lower gear? Why do I need power in lower revs at all? 6k doesn't seem like high revs for city cruising to me?

He loves 2 strokes too, so I can't see why it'd be a bad platform to start on.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: First bike (2 smoke)

Originally Posted by jinkity
Hey guys, I'll try to be brief. I'm about 180cm/just under six foot and 90kg/200lb

With all this in mind, do you see any problems in me getting a 2 stroke as a first bike?

you're way to big for that bike @ 200lbs 6 feet tall... 250's are extremely tight and compact and would be hard pressed to be ridden at say, 155lbs and 5'10"ish. (those bikes are perfect for some one 5'6" and no more than say 145'ish)

that being said, you can ride anything you want, I've seen taller heavier riders on a 250, but it was a bit of a joke. the rg is a great bike for it's era... but that era is long gone and I would say it's more of a collectable bike now.

Having a 2-stroke for a first bike is a mistake if you don't know anything about tuning, parts sourcing and maintaining one. they are very finicky and require a lot of time for maintenance and tuning just to keep it running at it's peak, and that time will take away from your riding experience.

One additional reason that a 2-stroke is a bad platform for a beginner is because of the all to realistic characteristic of a 2-strokes power delivery. it's exactly like a light switch... it's either on or it's off. that mean it is extremely unforgivable and NOT conducive to learning.

those are generalized ideas, but all of them lead to the thought that a four stroke, while for the most part slower and not nearly as exotic, is a better choice for a beginner specifically because of those reasons... it's slower and not as exotic.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Trial User

I ride dirt. There doesn't seem to be much here for that, but let's see how it goes. I learned about motors starting with 2 strokes.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jinkity
Hey guys, I'll try to be brief. I'm about 180cm/just under six foot and 90kg/200lb (but in the process of losing weight fwiw) and I'm wanting to buy my first bike.
I've had my Learners for too long (a month) I really want to start riding.
I was set on an I4 because of the insane revs, but after talking to a rider I respect I'm a bit put off of them.. I still like the idea, and want to ride one, but idk.. I'm not so keen on buying one anymore.
He suggested a 1/2 cylinder, like a CBF or a kwaka GPX as my first bike.

I've come across a (suzuki) RG250 Gamma for $1800. Bike looks very tidy and the seller claims to have done fresh work to the motor.
I will use it to get around a little, but it is not a "commuter" per say.
I'm buying a bike to learn to (eventually) ring out in the hills, not go places in peak traffic with lots of stopping and starting.

The person I spoke to's main concern was a lack of power at low revs, why can't I just rev more with clutch not fully engaged or in lower gear? Why do I need power in lower revs at all? 6k doesn't seem like high revs for city cruising to me?

Depending on where you live, 2 strokes may not be around long. Emissions just can't be met with them. When I got back into riding, I picked up a V-30 Magna. Those were only built for 3 or so years. They are a 500cc V-4. I'm 6 foot and, at the time, 230 pounds. I rode it for a while and then got a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing standard. The 'Wings are good bikes for a newer rider who has some experience but not much as they have an extremely low center of gravity. You also learn really quick about how to walk one or you bark your shins a lot. The 1000 and 1100 Goldwings are good bikes. The 1200 was a fair bike. If the plug for the stator wasn't kept clean and tight, as well as lube with dielectric grease, it would fry the stator on the alternator. This requires the removal of the engine from the bike to fix. The plug would melt and that was a sign of oncoming problems.

Most likely, you'll want a Honda Shadow 7590. Hydraulic lifters, 750 cc displacement and probably the most trouble free bike on the road from any company, not just Honda.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:13 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Depending on where you live, 2 strokes may not be around long. Emissions just can't be met with them. When I got back into riding, I picked up a V-30 Magna. Those were only built for 3 or so years. They are a 500cc V-4. I'm 6 foot and, at the time, 230 pounds. I rode it for a while and then got a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing standard. The 'Wings are good bikes for a newer rider who has some experience but not much as they have an extremely low center of gravity. You also learn really quick about how to walk one or you bark your shins a lot. The 1000 and 1100 Goldwings are good bikes. The 1200 was a fair bike. If the plug for the stator wasn't kept clean and tight, as well as lube with dielectric grease, it would fry the stator on the alternator. This requires the removal of the engine from the bike to fix. The plug would melt and that was a sign of oncoming problems.

Most likely, you'll want a Honda Shadow 7590. Hydraulic lifters, 750 cc displacement and probably the most trouble free bike on the road from any company, not just Honda.

The guy that posted before you inadvertently made his way into a two year old thread. For some reason, I don't think the person you quoted is going to return.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Trial User

You need big bike. I Think Honda Rebel 500 can you choose