Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (eL)

you guys are so full of ****, but thanks for the good laugh, oh and my 08 frontier gets 60 mpg
Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Default Re: (adamrich33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys are so full of ****, but thanks for the good laugh, oh and my 08 frontier gets 60 mpg </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have said the same thing about 6 months ago too.

Pulling a 50 mpg tank out of a Fit is not too hard, but a 60 mpg+ takes a lot of patience. I am coasting 2/3 of the miles in the tank.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BudgetFitting)

i find it hard to believe that your coasting that much, do you live in the mountains and travel down hill for 400 miles are something, i own a fit my self and im just not buying these rediculous claims
Old 09-22-2008, 05:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i find it hard to believe that your coasting that much, do you live in the mountains and travel down hill for 400 miles are something, i own a fit my self and im just not buying these rediculous claims</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, a very flat area of SoCal.

Remember, that to get home I would have to drive back up the big hill I went down.

I P&G and FAS everywhere I go.

On the freeway, it takes less than 10 seconds for my pulse and I coast with the engine off for 20+ seconds, then bump start it and do it all over again.

I drive at times of low traffic to avoid basically ever having to use the brakes on the freeway, and drive below the speed limit at all times (10-15 mph below the posted speed limit is legal).

Honestly, it works.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If a Prius is on your ***... you know you need to move it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about that. I drive for Greyhound. Most of our buses are governed to 70 mph, and I am routinely blown off the road by Prius drivers. I guess they feel that since they're driving a hybrid, speed or driving technique is not important.

Aside: I was filling up a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy there with a ForTwo also filling up. Of course, that car attracts questions like a flies to .... I digress. Several people were standing around admiring his car when I pulled in. A couple of them hadn't seen the Fit before, so when he finished filling his up, they asked me what mileage I got in it. I told them that I was averaging 45mpg with a 49 1/2mpg best tank. The sound of jaws dropping made me smile. My favorite comment?

"Heck, I don't get that kinda mileage on my motorcycle!"

My next tank is gonna suck, though. I've been driving at or above the speed limit. Matter of fact, I drove considerably above the speed limit this afternoon. Hmmm... We need a ph34r smiley.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys are so full of ****, but thanks for the good laugh, oh and my 08 frontier gets 60 mpg </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i find it hard to believe that your coasting that much, do you live in the mountains and travel down hill for 400 miles are something, i own a fit my self and im just not buying these rediculous claims</TD></TR></TABLE>you have to realize what they are doing to get the mpg they are getting. they are not driving normally and they are mostly on the highway going pretty slow in top gear. when i just set the cruise control to 70mph in my wifes fit on the highway i get 40mpg. if i were to go 50 it would most definitely get better. if i were to shut the car off while going down hills it would be even better. your doubts are unfounded.

the bottom line is it is possible and people are doing it.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it is very possible, you should check out cleanmpg.com to see what other cars/people are getting.

It takes longer to get to work which is an option one must weigh. and extra 5-10mins I can handle but not an extra 30min
Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sahwn)

i still dont believe the 70 mpg part but going to that extreme is kinda pointless to me but to each his own i guess, lets see how long them axles last bump starting you car like that every time you get a chance or the wear your putting on your 5th gear and clutch, you may gain in some ways but loose in another,
Old 09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never, heard of an issue with axels but they are cheap($50-80) and only take 45min to change with a lifetime warranty.

As far as 5th gear, well i put as much wear and tear on it as shifting when I bump start since it is a smooth process and not a jerky one. There have been many cars and people that have hand no mechanical problems or failures due to these driving techniques, NOT to say there will never be any. I too am a believer in the proof and I know my wallet/bank account has more money in it than before these techniques( due to the techniques). One must remember since we are NOT revving high(more wear), speeding(more wear and heat), breaking hard(more wear) then we are actually conserving the wear and tear on our cars mechanically speaking, not to mention making the tires, brake pads and oil last longer.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i still dont believe the 70 mpg part but going to that extreme is kinda pointless to me but to each his own i guess, lets see how long them axles last bump starting you car like that every time you get a chance or the wear your putting on your 5th gear and clutch, you may gain in some ways but loose in another,</TD></TR></TABLE>i think you are forgetting that a motor really doesnt provide much resistance and increases rpms quite readily. it is pretty safe and reliable.

i dont do it because i dont want to put in that kind of effort for a couple bucks.

but as i said before. it is very possible.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> lets see how long them axles last bump starting you car like that </TD></TR></TABLE>

The bump start is so smooth that people in the car never can tell when the car is off, on, or being bump started.

If there would be an issue, it would probably be seen in the engine mounts. Though, with it being smooth and not jolting; I don't see it being an issue.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sahwn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One must remember since we are NOT revving high(more wear), speeding(more wear and heat), breaking hard(more wear) then we are actually conserving the wear and tear on our cars mechanically speaking, not to mention making the tires, brake pads and oil last longer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Prezactly! I'm taking my Fit in today to have its first oil change, and it has 84xx miles on the odometer. I was almost tempted to wait until the OLM dropped to 10%, just to see how far it could be stretched, but...

Mark this day on your calendars: For the first time, I'm paying someone to work on one of my cars!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had them screw up an oil change I do it myself!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In for another tank:

526.8miles
9.5 gallons
=55.4mpg

As long as I can get 50mpg in the FIT then I am happy. I am through with seeing how many mpgs I can get.

I leave that to Paul, Ryan and Larry.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Wow, it's really cool to see people really pushing the Fit to the limit.... of efficiency!

Ours has been getting upper 30s in pretty much all city/suburban driving with short trips. I'll need to take a long trip somewhere to try and break my dad's record of 47mpg.

Can anyone chime in as to how useful the ScanGuage 2 really is? Did it help you better your driving (in terms of efficiency) significantly? We're thinking of getting one, but I don't think we're up for all of the hypermiling techniques like engine-off coasting. I do try to keep track of approximately when fuel shut off is (1500 rpm coasting in gear right?) so I can descend slight slopes in 5th while maintaining speed.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No Scan Gauge here just techniques.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sahwn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had them screw up an oil change I do it myself! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Speaking of which, they are 'supposed to' check tire pressure. I wonder if they lowered mine to 32?

$25 for an oil change seems like a lot of money to me, but it all costs out when you factor in the fact that I have a gravel driveway. I just don't feel like laying on the gravel to change the oil. Even if I were to get the filters on line, I'd still be spending right at $20 to do it myself, so why not?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Cold Air Intake

If this question has been asked, i am sorry.

I have read on the internet that cold air intake will increase fuel economy, given that you don't drive with a lead foot. I read this off SEMA.org Even just 1 to 3 MPG increase for some, http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=54081

But some have said that CAI will actually help consume more fuel because for the ECU to maintain that certain oxygen/fuel ratio, with more oxygen (cold air), the ECU will inject more fuel, that makes sense too.

I already bought a CAI a while back, should i go through the trouble to put it on and find out? If anyone has already done this himself, can you share you experience? I really dont want to do it if it does not increase my MPG, hate to take that front bumper off.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Cold Air Intake (screaminj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screaminj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If this question has been asked, i am sorry.

I have read on the internet that cold air intake will increase fuel economy, given that you don't drive with a lead foot. I read this off SEMA.org Even just 1 to 3 MPG increase for some, http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=54081

But some have said that CAI will actually help consume more fuel because for the ECU to maintain that certain oxygen/fuel ratio, with more oxygen (cold air), the ECU will inject more fuel, that makes sense too.

I already bought a CAI a while back, should i go through the trouble to put it on and find out? If anyone has already done this himself, can you share you experience? I really dont want to do it if it does not increase my MPG, hate to take that front bumper off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's like opening up a can of worms bro, unless you have 1st hand information your going to get mixed reviews reguardless. For instance, I have a Subaru Forester and added an Injen CAI to it, noticed an increase in F/E but then removed it to sell it and reinstalled to stock box and my mileage actually went up a bit. Not because of the intake but mostly because I started modifying my driving habits. Drive 5 miles an hour slower and run higher tire pressure and you'll see the same results you would if you installed the intake. Or just take the chance and see for yourself.

After all it's only a 30minute to hour at most job in the driveway right?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sahwn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, I expect to see 70mpg from you too now! </TD></TR></TABLE>

This last tank was 65.14 mpg over 624.7 miles (and 9.59 gallons used).

I could have made 700 miles in the tank easy, but gas was cheaper than it was recently so I filled up.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on that mpg. Ryan

In for another tank for me:

515.8miles
9.2 gallons
= 56mpg

I am almost tempted to not do any FAS or P&G to see what mpg I can get using cruise control. I don't know if I can do it though.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy cow, how you guys get above 50+MPG is beyond my calculations.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Re: (screaminj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screaminj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy cow, how you guys get above 50+MPG is beyond my calculations. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

BEYOND MY CALCULATIONS!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screaminj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy cow, how you guys get above 50+MPG is beyond my calculations. </TD></TR></TABLE>he is a computer.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (thisisntjared)

Sahwn,

Your 42MPG tank in your CRV, is that a 2wd 5 speed?

Quick Reply: ► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)