Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

My New Toy but need experts!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Toy but need experts!!

Introduction and a few questions:

Ok honda tech crv gurus. I have been lurking your forum for quite some time for information on a project ive been dying to laugh about and make good friends. I finally made the 5 post limit last night to write to you guys and gals about what I want to accomplish regarding my new 99 Crv that I picked up with a blown motor and slapped a stock motor in to drive around as a beater as of recent.

Window Tint already hahaha

Theres more to this crv build then anything, I want to have a high horsepower off roading/onroading crv setup sooo I went ahead and purchased some parts to get to my goal of a 500+hp crv.

Specs: B18c1, Brian Crower Stroked Rotating assembly, CP 9.1 Pistons 85MM
Ductile Sleeves,ACL race bearings,

Vtec Head Needing a rebuild to bomb internals

Next Items I need Clarification on are?
**LIFT: I know i could currently get a OME lift still correct?
**Shocks: billstein HD Shocks?

**Wheels: Craggar Soft 8s What specs? everyone seems to be all over trying different specs. I dont want or need to run a spacer at all. If one of you awesome lifted guys wanna lend some of your knowledge thank you!!! I saved all pics of your setups on my ipad.

**Turbo Manifold: I dont want to remove AC or PS. and I wouldnt mind pipes to be bought either for intercooler and intake setup. Less fab work the better.

**: ECU will be hondata S300 anyone wanna sell me theirs?

**: Axles? should I source new axles? or will they be fine? remember id rather break axles then diffs or trans.

I like to do everything right the first time so i dont have to revisit it or break an item during fun times.

Question: Will the real time pose any weakness in DUNE riding? Id like to put paddles on the back and haul *** next to a buggy on the flats or dunes. Ive taking my crv on the back road to test real time and it crawled no problem. But in the rain it felt like it wasnt engaging complety as it let me spin the bald tires up front.

I also am going to lower the crv when i want to hot swap my setup for a month or so and hit a track day and have everyone laugh.....

I like building cars i think the idea of a Mini SUV bseries monster is HILARIOUS!!!!

My past cars have been Z06 vetts NA to turbo 350z, and monster EVO's

Past toys not everything just what i had on photobucket to show

Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My New Toy but need experts!!

yikes maybe i should take off some pics
Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for this. Looks like its going to be an awesome build
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LogicMotorsports.com
In for this. Looks like its going to be an awesome build
Thank you soo much will keep this updated on the progress as soon as some of the CR-V Elite Chime in with the specs and info thy think I need.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that 240 is sex!

herro and welcome
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^THANKS^^^^
Old 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice. are you gona beef up the drive train too? or leave it stock? i think i read on here the stock awd tranny and rear end are only good up to 400hp. could be wrong though. that would be bad *** if you could keep up with a buggy though. this would sorta be like that awd wagovan someone just built to haul *** off road. that had a k though.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah I need to know if the real time awd system would be locked enough to haul *** in dunes and climbing them. I've read lots of threads of using shims to drilling and tapping to manually lock by the hydrolic system but didn't really see the guys pics. Either way if the stock system will let me do 100+ in the sand I'll be happyOr climb the huge hills I'll be a kid in a candy store

I did hear of some guy claiming 470 or 450 stock drivetrain and holding. I wish he'd chime in here along with the Offroad wheel guys to help with the proper offset

I was also hopping of retro fitting a better shock with external res to help keep things in line
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you got my attention.

I may buy one of these in the next couple of days,
a 2001 model to be exact.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the stock awd setup will not handle doing 100+ locked in the sand or doing hill climbs. Youre trying to build a vehicle that was designed for a sporty soccer mom. The guys building 400+ HP CRV's are not using them off-road like you are planning. They are straight line/autocross cars. The rear diffs on our CRV's were designed to give you a little push to help gain traction on wet or slippery roads, not dig like traditional 4 wheel drives. But good luck with your build
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i might have been kidding about the 100 in sand... but as long as i can lock during spin i cant see why not and hitting 60+ should be fairly easy???? I also am sure that others are dirt driving their crv's . I just want to have horsepower an dune ride or hell dirt ride
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, i think you'll be disappointed. This is a front wheel drive car with a taller suspension and a girly rear end. It isnt limited slip so if you get stuck youll be spinning the wheels on one side of the car only. it doesnt lock per say, only spins the wheels and doesnt handle digging. These rear diffs get over heated easily and burn out the clutch packs faster than youd think. Hate to break it to you since you already bought it but you should have bought a 4 runner or similar for what you are looking for
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

See I'm trying to see how this is bad I know of guys doing full drive train swaps on their civics and doing massive boosted awd setups along with figuring out how to lock the rear which I need to figure out but see these Russians in the snow looks to be working http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cl1...e_gdata_player
I'm trying to find proof to validate it. I know there's no lockers but I hope it could accomplish it

Last edited by Doug200t; 08-20-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looking closely at your video, its relatively flat ground, light fluffy snow, and the rear diff is not locked at all and he is driving under 15 mph. watch the roost coming off the wheels. It only sprays off the rear for a few brief seconds every now and then. With decent snow tires, narrower is always better, any fwd honda ive owned could do just about the same trick.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to clarify. Im not trying to nit pick your intentions. I love my CRV and use it way beyond its designed intent. But using it as a serious off road truck probably will tear it up pretty bad
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My new wheels came in I'll post as soon as I get on a pc
Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check here the little CR-V that could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGNOi...eature=related
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol ya Saw that after I refused to believe I couldn't lock the rear. Do u remember the dude in the white coupe that figured out how to lock his awd rear hydro. Anyone have a write up on that
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it up!!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

I've really come to love my CR-V, it really is the little suv that could. Yeah, its got some things it can't do, lots of things actually, but it also does a lot which it can do. That little video is right.

I'm trying to extend the life of my CR-V the best I can, I think its in its last cycle, before its time to move it. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do the work I think needs to be done, and it'll cost thousands upon thousands to do so.

The stealership LITERALLY told me to get rid of it and get a new car, that it wasn't worth fixing......

But I fixed it.

It still runs,

It makes a really weird ZING ZING ZING sound from the driver front when its been sitting for a few days. It goes away after driving for a few mins but I hope its not serious because I honestly have no idea what it is.

But it still runs,

I drove it through the messiest and harshest of winters in Michigan, in foot upon foots of snow, during the harshest of blizzards, and I never got stuck, I plowed on, and I spent my whole day off pushing other cars that were stuck lots of (Jeep Wranglers) :p.

I good set of snows is all it took, company supplied free snows, Hankook Ipike's, Michelin X-Ice's, Blizzack DMZ3's, Ws70's. Man it was all good fun. Never got stuck, not one time....

Okay one time but I was being silly trying to drive through a 5 foot embankment of snow.

I really really like the new 2012 CR-V's though. Hmmm.. Maybe in 2015 I can pick up a used 2012 CR-V.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

sorry didn't mean to jack your thread, just saw that CR-V video and I got all fuzzy inside.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well i went ahead to push through and figure out the coilover lift spring setup myself since i got no input from the forum.

Summit Racing Coilover springs 10 inch 550lb front 31.00
Summit Racing Coilover spring 9 inch 400lb Rear 31.00
Needed coilover sleeves could have gone and done way different setups but ended up buying a ebay kit locally cause i was worried about the top hat 2.5 id area for 60.00
and here is the result

Now i have not installed yet will do it this weekend but it looks like it willl work!!! here are the rims and tires i got

Messing around lifting it with jack to see what i can lift to. Currently this is max hight and will not work well with absorbing shocks of a pothole. I am thinking of lifting 2.5 inch
Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

whats your plan for a shock? the stock one will have next to no bound.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that's next this is my test trial but was thinking of doing bilstein Hd or adapting something else need help there I got a lot of fab guys comming to look at what we can do
Old 08-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: My New Toy but need experts!!

Originally Posted by jlk16188
looking closely at your video, its relatively flat ground, light fluffy snow, and the rear diff is not locked at all and he is driving under 15 mph. watch the roost coming off the wheels. It only sprays off the rear for a few brief seconds every now and then. With decent snow tires, narrower is always better, any fwd honda ive owned could do just about the same trick.
Btw I dunno any fwd hOnda doing this in the snow but I'm willing to listen

Quick Reply: My New Toy but need experts!!