DIY Auto transmission overhaul help/HELMS manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Auto transmission overhaul help/HELMS manual

Im mainly looking for anyone that has attempted an auto B series rebuild

OR

anyone that owns a HELMS service manual, i want to see if the transmission section is detailed enough to attempt this DIY

Ive had a class on transmissions back in my ASE test prep days, and I held a few ASE certs back in the day. Ive done many swaps, repairs and performance upgrades in my day but never attempted any trans work.

anyone ever read a great writeup online? i need a great breakdown of tools required also.

any input is appreciated
Old 02-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Auto transmission overhaul help/HELMS manual

did you ever figure out how to rebuild im same boat your in first time with a tranny but mines 5spd ive done engines before but i cant find any info on rebuild kits for mine since honda discontinued it for the cr-v
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY Auto transmission overhaul help/HELMS manual

I have a 98 accord with 225,000 miles, and have had the usual slew of tranny issues since just past 100,000 miles. Lately it seemed to be getting worse. I did a fluid change, considered uputting an inline filter in and installing a cooler on it. I finally found a 2000 Acura that had had the tranny rebuilt 3 months before it was wrecked and totaled by the insurance company. I have a B7WA transmission, whereas it has a B7XA. I was hoping that it would go on without any issues, but I found that instead of it having overdrive like mine, it has an extra gear. I am trying to find a way to make it work with my engine. I did find one of them where I could read the model number on the engine, but whereas I would end up having have a J30A1 engine with a B7XA transmission, it has a J32A1 engine with B7XA transmission. Tomorrow, I am going to pull the ECU on the other Honda, and I found out that if the part number on that ECU matches mine, then I am good to go. I really doubt it though... If I cannot find a way to make this work, then I am SOL! Other I have to find some way to get this to work, or I have to start thinking about trying to rebuild this transmission. I have no experience doing so, but I can't afford to have someone ride tall another matching transmission for me. I can't find one myself that looks good enough to have been rebuilt after the solution to the transmission issues were figured out, so it would likely be a lot of work for nothing. You said that you were thinking of attempting the rebuild, and that you have a kit? Where did you get the kit, and how much was it? I might be in a position of having to rebuild..