Notices

Switched distributors, loud POP sound.. wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched distributors, loud POP sound.. wtf?

My old distributor was dying (tach would jump after 3k rpm, then it would stutter, car would randomly shut off, etc etc) so I hopped to the local junkyard and picked up another distributor for $60 CDN. I took it home, cleaned it up, switched it into my car and all was well. I test drove it and it was fine! Everything was smooth, tach didn't jump like mad and I could finally tell when I was hitting 6k. I then downshifted.. and as soon as I hit the gas (to let the revs climb before I let off the clutch) I heard a huge POP, but the car didn't die and I just stuck it into neutral until I stopped.

This has happend 3 times already today. As I was reversing up my driveway (it's kind of slanted downward so you have to rev and catch the clutch before the car slides back down) and as soon as I revved, the loud POP sound came again and the car stalled.

The third time was a little later when I went to pick up my GF from work, as I was making a left I gave it a quick rev (once again before to let off the clutch) and *POP* but the car didn't stall that time.

This seems to happen at random, but for the most part the car drives fine. Any help is appreciated, thanks. No CELs came on BTW.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Switched distributors, loud POP sound.. wtf? (rayzian)

You sure its the right distributor. D15b2 takes a TD01.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I told you to wait in the truck in Texas, United States
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the firing order?
Maybe you got the wires mixed up..

If that is not it,Take the cap off
and make sure the rotor is still fastened to the shaft..
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it might be a power wire that you accidently knocked/left loose, touching the chassis, grounding, arcing and making a loud pop. this was the case for a mysterious popping noise a buddy's car was having yesterday.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (unusual71)

Check your timing on the motor
Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 PM

holy **** im glad i saw this thread. Ive been having the EXACT same problems, but my car has been having issues with not wanting to start up for like 10 minutes after i shut it off for longer than a minute. I had a technition at my school diagnose it (checked the main relay, DTCs) both were good, he was 100% positive it was the distributor. A honda tech user said i either have a bad ignition coil or igntion module.

but anyway, after i switched distributors, the car didnt want to start and made that pop sound the OP explained. I also think i fucked up the firing order from looking at that picture from 88dxcrx.

i put the old one back on, fired right up, a week later i was having the same symptoms as the OP, (dont think this has anything to do with it) but the area on the climate control where you pick between where you want air coming out of the vents, the light is out which ill diagnose that later.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 65stang90crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You sure its the right distributor. D15b2 takes a TD01.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where would it say TD01 on it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 905_Legend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your timing on the motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a good question... how do you check the timing?

sorry about the thread jack tho just trying to learn without creating a new post
Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Switched distributors, loud POP sound.. wtf? (Bjorn20)

sounds like you should stop revving it