Notices

siR/VT collabo Build on '88 Y-49 w/GSR and GLASSROOF (madd jdm y0!, so beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default siR/VT collabo Build on '88 Y-49 w/GSR and GLASSROOF (madd jdm y0!, so beware)

So I'm sure alot of you saw my post about getting my Glassroof and other parts, and the progress I made on the Glassroof so far.

Well I'm finally getting a CRX this Wednesday, and it's gonna be goin down, and fast b/c I've been waiting for this too long. That, and I only work part time, so lots of free time!

So I'm posting what I've got/getting and what I've done so far, and you can expect Thursday to see progress on the CRX. I'm also putting where I got it/how much I paid just so people have an idea for their own reference. And, to log the investment.

The CRX:

Bought from eBay for $2950, plus $120 for Greyhound tickets out there, and about $100 for gas home.
Here's how it's comin:
-184K on D16a6
-Neuspeed Bar
-DC Header
-Some kind of exhaust???
-Tokico Blues New In Box
-Skunk2 Coils New In box
-Energy Bushing Kit New In Box
-Spare set of Rotors
-Rust-free sunroof
-Some kind of rims???

I plan on selling off most of the parts it's comin with to recoup some of the money spent on the car, hopefully atleast half.
CRX = $3170

EE8 VT Leather Front Seats:

Got off eBay for $550 plus $200 S/H straight from Germany. Probably one of the nicest, if not the nicest set I've seen on eBay.

EE8 VT Door Panels:

Picked these up off of Jarod (BigDawg) in Atlanta. God, I love these.

EF8 siR Rear Seat:

Picked this up off eBay back in 2002. Paid like $400, plus $200 S/H, but it was/is mint and complete, and a little rarer in those days.

EF8 siR Front End:

Not all pictured, since it will be seen later in full. Also picked up in ATL from Jarod.

JDM Armrest:

Got for free. YAY!

JDM Power Windows:

Also picked up in ATL

EF8 Glassroof:

The Mecca of JDM, this is my CRX's Crown, and it sits on it's head, respectively.
Also picked up in ATL.
I paid $1800 for everything I got in ATL from Jarod, and $200 in gas, so $2000. I didn't list particlar prices since none were named for each part.

JDM B18C1 GSR from http://www.HMotorsOnline.com:

-Skunk2 Intake Manifold
-J1 Tranny
-Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
Got the J1 in another CRX, and the Longblock GSR from HMO for $1800. Plus $200 S/H, and traded for the S2 IM and bought Clutch, can't remember the price.
for Steve and HMO, couldn't be happier.

Total Investment so far: $8,570.00
Amount planned on getting back from parts sales: $1,000-$1,500
Still needed:
-OBD0 to OBD1 Conversion Harness
-Vtec Subharness
-P28 ECU Chipped
-B-Series Axles
-Lord Metal Fusing Agent

So there's still gonna be a little more investing before she's even on the road.
BUT THATS OK!
I'd rather spend this much on a CRX then spend more on some lame *** modern car.

So, in case you didn't catch my progress on the Glassroof........Here it is again!:

The first step is complete, removing the interior pieces & Glass from the Roof.
Unfortunately I found a scratch about 4 inches long, but the good news is I didn't damage it while doing this. But I donct care about the scratch, it's rather insignificant in the big picture.
Obviously, the interior part was cake.
Unfortunately for my arms, the Glass removal was not.
Mike (CyberCRXT), the original Glasstop guy, had said it took him 2hrs. with a Steak Knife. It took me about 1hr for the first 3 sides, which were each cake. But the 4th side (the rear, where it meets the hatch) was a MAJOR bitch & took an hour itself. The sealant stuff was really thick and deep to where it was hard to put enough pressure on the knife to cut it. So as far as how-to style instructions would go, you'd do it like this:
-Remove Mirror, Visors, Maplight and headliner.
-Cutting from the INSIDE, start at the lower left or right corner and work your way around to the other.
-Have someone hold the roof still, and tilt the glass outward to expose the sealant for easier cutting.

I'll tell ya, it's the hardest thing in the world to do this. The whole time I'm thinkin "If you **** this up, it's ALL bad for you" ya know? And at the same time the Byutol or whatever the sealers called is givin me ****,makin me get REAAAL upset in here. But I still got the job done
Here's the Roof and Glass seperated and a picture of the 3 tools that made this job easier to do:

So again, I'm following Mike's walk through on this. He said for removing the additional body panels to just drill out the spotwelds and pry.
Well I did one side his way, the other mine.
On the Mike's way side, everything went VERY smooth, I got all the parts off without any damage to the main roof skin. But unfortunately just like he said it took FOR-EV-ER. I drilled forever and used a chisel to get the parts of the welds I missed while drilling. Took probably 2 hours or so.
On the My way side, I did it a bit different.
Instead of taking it apart piece by piece (this takes forever b/c it takes so long to actually get to some welds b/c of their location) I took a Sawzall and hacked the side panel down the middle, exposing the main seperation point of the panels (where the roofskin and side panel connect). I still had to drill out about 20 or 30 spot welds, but thats about a third of what I did the otherway.
I just drilled, chiseled, and used pliers to peel the panel back like a banana peel to keep the exposure of the main connection.
In the end my way was incredibly faster, I did fuckup the roof a little in the process which can be seen in the pictures, but it aint ****, nothing permanent.
In the end, I'd recomend Mike's way to mine. Doin something like this, you need to go slow, and take your time.

So that's where we left off.
Not where we're picking up, but I expect to have everything in/on by the end of the month (hopefully :thumbup)

Please excuse the premature posting of this, I'm too excited to do it.
I may go before next Wednesday to get the CRX, there's nothing seperating it from me but a few hundred miles.....If I do, expect progress.

Modified by G0crxG0 at 12:02 AM 6/8/2006

Modified by G0crxG0 at 12:05 AM 6/8/2006

Modified by G0crxG0 at 5:36 PM 8/30/2006
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: siR/VT collabo Build on '88 Y-49 w/GSR and GLASSROOF (G0crxG0)

tool #3 is a neccecity (sp) for every job in life

looks good my man i wanna see a finished project.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 PM
HT White Ops

So far so good. Cant wait to see yet another beautiful rex restored!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 PM
HT White Ops

BTW looks like fun!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: siR/VT collabo Build on '88 Y-49 w/GSR and GLASSROOF (nicks_jdmstyle_ef9)

dude i saw a doobie snack.....snooch to the muthafucken nooch...BONG!
good look...take lots of pics....that glass roof is so entertaining...i wouldn't use it but that's b/c my hf wasn't meant to have one...hahaha....
y-49 in good condition...you bastard.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Re: siR/VT collabo Build on '88 Y-49 w/GSR and GLASSROOF (Burlyirishdude)

m@dD tYtE JdM y0!!!!!1111
Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

herb+carwork for me = Id do somethin stupid like forget to tighten the lugnuts or something. (I dont smoke pot for a reason )

Alchohol+carwork=

But good luck on the build and im sure this will be a good one. Going with untouched gsr longblock or some internals?

**edit** I'd killa man for those seats you have there...........lucky bastard!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep i wish i had the money for those parts and those are my favorite type of ciggys keep up the work and definatly keep us updated
Old 06-08-2006, 05:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

hey..do you go to school? if so ..HOW do you affoard all of this+school on a part time job...you must banking a lot working this part-time job! but all in all..loos like its going t be a very nice car!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 AM

EFSS153

Default Re: (pr3d)

Nice project.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pr3d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr3d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey..do you go to school? if so ..HOW do you affoard all of this+school on a part time job...you must banking a lot working this part-time job! but all in all..loos like its going t be a very nice car!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hes been saving his lawn mowing money for yearsssssssss, I would imagine either a long time saving or bank loan or quite possibly..........bank robbery
Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 AM

Default Re: (SomeDude56)

I hate you I want that rooooof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep us posted
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (madmanmulligan)

would u dynomat ur roof?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vthree)

Sweet! Finally bringing the car into the mix. Really can't wait to see this thing! Hope the CRX is as good as it sounds...
Old 06-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vthree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vthree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would u dynomat ur roof?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, why would I?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr3d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey..do you go to school? if so ..HOW do you affoard all of this+school on a part time job...you must banking a lot working this part-time job! but all in all..loos like its going t be a very nice car!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I went to school for 1 1/4 tears, but I couldnt afford it anymore, nor did I want to go.

I make money from 3 things:
1.Part Time job at a Bar - About $150 a week
2.Partin out junk cars, or simply buying them and selling them to yards at a profit. About $300-$1500 a month depending on business.
3.I can't say exactly, but it has something to do with my special tool #3. About $200 a week.

So how do I afford all this? Easy, I live in the ****** hood, my rent is cheap as hell to begin with, and I split it 3 ways......so my rent/bills is only about $300 a month.
That, and proper money management, has helped me get these things.

Oh, and selling all my other wordly possessions, that too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SomeDude56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">herb+carwork for me = Id do somethin stupid like forget to tighten the lugnuts or something. (I dont smoke pot for a reason )

Alchohol+carwork=

But good luck on the build and im sure this will be a good one. Going with untouched gsr longblock or some internals?

**edit** I'd killa man for those seats you have there...........lucky bastard!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
IDK man, I'm a very observant and careful person when wrenching.
After I had my accident last year and almost lost my Right Eyes sight to Brake Cleaner fluid, I've been pretty careful.

I'd never drink n wrench, with unbalanced coordination, and off depth perception, thats a no-no (except when the car falls on me it won't hurt as much)

Oh, and I did kill for these seats.......

On a serious note though, affording this stuff isn't hard if it's what you really want.
Really, the majority of it was paid for by me selling my stuff.
I sold my PS2, XBox, all games/dvds, surround sound, EVERYTHING but my computer pretty much, that and tools.
And I've got more enjoyment out of these parts then I would/did from the other stuff.

BTW Thanks for all the comments guys, Im sure this won't disappoint any of you! And the updates wont be delayed at all man, I plan on workin on this thing 24/7 once I get it
Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (G0crxG0)

your lucky gocrxgo, i almost bought that crx, i was thinking about it, until i came to this thread lol, so is it as nice as it looks from the pictures?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM

Awesome, cant wait to see it!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G0crxG0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No, why would I?

I went to school for 1 1/4 tears, but I couldnt afford it anymore, nor did I want to go.

2.Partin out junk cars, or simply buying them and selling them to yards at a profit. About $300-$1500 a month depending on business.
3.I can't say exactly, but it has something to do with my special tool #3. About $200 a week.

So how do I afford all this? Easy, I live in the ****** hood, my rent is cheap as hell to begin with, and I split it 3 ways......so my rent/bills is only about $300 a month.
That, and proper money management, has helped me get these things.

Oh, and selling all my other wordly possessions, that too.

IDK man, I'm a very observant and careful person when wrenching.
After I had my accident last year and almost lost my Right Eyes sight to Brake Cleaner fluid, I've been pretty careful.

I'd never drink n wrench, with unbalanced coordination, and off depth perception, thats a no-no (except when the car falls on me it won't hurt as much)

Oh, and I did kill for these seats.......

On a serious note though, affording this stuff isn't hard if it's what you really want.
Really, the majority of it was paid for by me selling my stuff.
I sold my PS2, XBox, all games/dvds, surround sound, EVERYTHING but my computer pretty much, that and tools.
And I've got more enjoyment out of these parts then I would/did from the other stuff.

BTW Thanks for all the comments guys, Im sure this won't disappoint any of you! And the updates wont be delayed at all man, I plan on workin on this thing 24/7 once I get it </TD></TR></TABLE>

The money part is very true, im only seventeen but ive got my rex (now acceptibly clean) but when I got it it had soem bad cancer, fucked interior and dpfi but now im lookin at clean quarters, good interior, and a b16 (hopefully will get my hands on a gsr shortblock eventually) and I worked my *** off for it for every bit of it for nearly a year. But yes its all how much dedication you have. If theres a will theres a way...that saying goes particularly true with these cars for some reason. But sometimes it does suck b.c you gain a reputation as a jew
Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G0crxG0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I hear you can make about $200/month selling plasma. Yeah, I've thought about it...
Old 06-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just keep it y49
Old 06-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cbp_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbp_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your lucky gocrxgo, i almost bought that crx, i was thinking about it, until i came to this thread lol, so is it as nice as it looks from the pictures?</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's why I bought it up quick, I didn't want it bought out from under me.
I havent got it yet, but I did get a good number of close up pics.
It appears there may be some previous body work to the rear quarters, put I can't tell. The driverside rear quarter is just rusted though, and it's pretty bad, but I dont have a problem replacing the rear quarters if the rest of the car is good, which to my understanding it is.
I had a long talk with the guy selling it, Lee, and he seems to be a very honest and generous guy, he's throwin in a few extra things he has layin around on top of what's already included, and if the service he claims has been kept on it is true, the motor should be pretty nice so I dont think I'll be trashing it after I get it out.
The only thing wrong with it is the bushings are bad in the front. Which doesn't matter b/c of the included Energy bushings.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SomeDude56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The money part is very true, im only seventeen but ive got my rex (now acceptibly clean) but when I got it it had soem bad cancer, fucked interior and dpfi but now im lookin at clean quarters, good interior, and a b16 </TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly. If you really want something, you'll do what you need to get it.
Alot of the money that paid for my JDM parts was also derived from proper car/part hustling, from CRX's I've owned in the past.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doitdub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear you can make about $200/month selling plasma. Yeah, I've thought about it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Kinda. My buddy works at a Plasma spot around here, and it works like: $45 the first 4 times, $25 after that each time, and you can only go so often.
I would do it, but expletive needles!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16_madman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just keep it y49 </TD></TR></TABLE>
Would I do anything else?
I'm really glad the CRX I ended up with was a good color like Y-49.
I really didn't want any of the typical colors (Red, Black, Light Blue, etc.) not alot of people have Y-49's and those who do don't usually do too extensive work on them (although I have seen a thread or 2 about y49 builds on here recently that looked good)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably the best EF build i've ever seen.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly. If you really want something, you'll do what you need to get it.
Alot of the money that paid for my JDM parts was also derived from proper car/part hustling, from CRX's I've owned in the past.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No old ladies were robbed/harmed during the building of this ef

But yea man I have always like to own a nice y49 or blade silver.....but with yellow comes cheaper insurance rates

Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to warn you. Dont try and sleep in your car at noon. The glass roof she does nothing! Sun right in your face. LOL I learned that the hardway.

Nice build. Cant wait to see it come together.

CRX Forum
Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM

yep im jealous to

Quick Reply: siR/VT collabo Build on '88 Y-49 w/GSR and GLASSROOF (madd jdm y0!, so beware)