Notices

Regarding hoods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding hoods...

Story at top, bottom line question at bottom:

I finaly got my new (first) 91 CRX Si runing great after a basic tuneup (my first ever, SO easy!) and life was swell! So swell, that when my father asked if he could take the CRX into DC for work the next day, i said sure, since I had the day off and nothing left to fix on the Rex.

Well, he came back with a shiny new dent smack dab in the center of the hood. He tapped somebody going about 5-10mph (1st gear) and the hood bent in pretty good along with the core/radiator support.

i've managed to bend the support well into place, so everything closes and hold well, but the hood is fubar, and he has offered to replace the hood. For a minimal investment on my part, I figure I might as well get a lightweight hood, the carbon fiber sort.

Here's my question, do the carbon fiber hoods have a release spring on them? I noticed when I pull the hood release with the stock setup, the only thing happening is the big ring in the radiator/core support is releasing the big spring attached to my hood. So without this on the carbon hoods, how does it stay down tight?

I've noticed the Carbon hoods have a latch, but it seems to me like it is mainly the spring that keeps everything latched down on a stock setup.

So.... do most carbon fiber hoods come with this spring attached to the hood? if not, is it something I can transplant from my stock hood to the carbon hood? And if not, is there any other way besides hood pins to keep the carbon hood down? (I personally despise the look of hood pins, though I understand their functionality).

Thanks! Pictures would be great, but not needed for explanation.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the spring is there to make the hood pop up so you can get your hand in there to move the release lever. to eliminate the up and down "play" when the hood is closed, you have to adjust the rubber bumpers out near the headlights. The latch itself can also be adjusted. also, I'm pretty sure that you will need to use the hardware off of your stock hood when you purchase a cf one.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one more thing... since you seem to be new to 4th gen civics... the hoods are notorious for flying open when going down the highway. (bad news, does lots of damage) If your hood latch area is messed up at all, you should seriously consider getting hood pins.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: (jpciii)

Now this just pisses me off.

You have to know that your dad was street racing. He is spoiling it all for us old guys!! (I'm in my 50's)

Now the cops are going to be targeting us!!!!!!

In regards to the spring that is the latch, on all the CF hoods I've seen, you have to swap it over. It's just two bolts.

Wes (older than dirt) Vann
Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wes V)

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I might still get a new core support, but I bent it right back where it was, the support wasnt as bad as the hood. The hood is just messy as hell. Also, no radiator damage or any such thing, luckily, since i just got a new radiator too

HAHA Yeah, Im sure he was street racing Nah, the dude in front of my old man slammed on his brakes right after he starting going when light turned green, and so my pops didnt have but a split second to brake, so he fouled up. Damn!

Oh well, shiny new hood for me

THanks again for the tips, as long as its only a couple bolts/hardware to swap over, I'll pick one up! And yes, I am 4th gen noob, had a couple EG's, a DC and most recently an EP3. my 6'4" body like the roomy CRX better than ANY honda I've owned before!