Notices

overheating fuel related? possible pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating fuel related? possible pump?

1991 Honda crx si
running full rywire harness obd1 chipped p28
b18c1 cable trans

on my way to work my temp needle started to go up. Typically sits just under halfway. From a stop accelerating 1st to 5th the needle rises to hot, but when in 5th it drops back to middle. Noticed once i got to work that the coolant overflow boiled over. Oil level was fine. took the coolant from overflow and filled up the rad before riding home. Same symptoms but worse running hot...

noticed once home my fuel pressure was low which might explain the hard starts, and looked into the fuel filter. Clogged as can be. Replaced and pressure didnt return to normal so i turned it back up. Starts first try every time now with a couple seconds of gargling. Coolant was still overflowing though. Tossed my half rad on and bleed the system and no change. Took it out for gas and didn't over heat... however the lower rad hose to block was spewing coolant now at the thermostat housing. Also lost all power. Sounds like exhaust leak but no power. Can free rev all the way up and it sounds fine but once clutch engaged there's nothing...

whats it sound like? Fuel pump starting to fail? Or fried the block n low compression? Coolant/oil not mixing, not burning coolant, burns oil a lil, starts instantly which makes me think decent compression which doesnt answer the huge loss of power.

running a ys1 cable trans 4.9 F/d lsd wit 12lb flywheel. Accelerating feels like im driving a hf transmission lol

possible clutch slipping gotta check tmrw. Also have a new OEM thermostat, lower rad hose to toss on and plan to switch chips in my ecu. Will update as I go
Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: overheating fuel related? possible pump?

No clutch slip. New hoses/thermostat still result in over heating. Removing vac line from fuel pressure regulator does not simulate WOT and the car backfires bad at all times like shitty plugs even though they are new aka 5miles lol.

Since redoing coolant lines i now have white smoke from exhaust. Doesnt smell sweet but getting more and more plus my 2 lines off valve cover for venting seem to have a lot of pressure releasing. Think I've narrowed it down to low fuel pressure running hot aka lean, which I'm going to say killed the head gasket along with the header gasket. Still starts first try but little power
Old 11-25-2015, 03:23 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: overheating fuel related? possible pump?

Bad head gasket for sure