Notices

need advice on swapping D15b7 inside my hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on swapping D15b7 inside my hatch

so i have a 91 civic hatch DX the motor is no good anymore which is a D15b1 4speed so my friend is selling his D15b7 motor to me and i wanna swap it into my hatch hes is also giving me the tranny but i think i should stick with the 4 speed cuz i would have to change my hubs and stuff cuz the axles wont fit?? but anyway i was wondering will everything just be plug and play or do i have to convert some things since the motor is a little different ohh and i think i have to do the mpfi conversion if im not mistaken? but any help would be appreciated thank you.

Last edited by EG-Coupe; 11-10-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need advice on swapping D15b7 inside my hatch

the trans he is giving you is more than likely a hydrolic trans and your car uses a cable trans. See if you can find atleast a DX 5 speed trans as yours is a STD.

Yes you will have to do the MPFI conversion, which is pretty simple and plug it in for the most part. Just swap your alternator over from your d15b2, and you will need to find an obd0 MPFI distributor. i.e d16a6
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to run a DX or Si transmission, you will need to swap out your hubs and get 5 speed axles, whether they're DX or Si. I would recommend doing this anyways as the STD stuff is more for light duty and not really performance oriented anyways.

I would also recommend doing this because it is a requirement if you want to swap in a B series later on down the road.

You will also have to do the MPFI conversion, look around on the site there are many writeups on this.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're just trying to get your car running and not looking for performance then you do not need to convert to mpfi. just move all the dpfi stuff from your b2 over to the b7.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b7 and b2 is same motor, different years. 92+ have hydraulic trannys, they don't work in EF's without an expensive adaptor
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Malgerus
If you want to run a DX or Si transmission, you will need to swap out your hubs and get 5 speed axles, whether they're DX or Si. I would recommend doing this anyways as the STD stuff is more for light duty and not really performance oriented anyways.

I would also recommend doing this because it is a requirement if you want to swap in a B series later on down the road.

You will also have to do the MPFI conversion, look around on the site there are many writeups on this.
Ehhh??

Am I missing something here?

His first few words are that he has a DX... not an STD.

That doesn't even matter though.
Even if he had an STD he does NOT have to change hubs nor axles.
He could run his stock tranny or any 88~91 cable tranny that he wants to - with his stock axles and stock hubs.

The splines that go into the tranny are all the same.
The hub splines are different.

If he swapped out the hubs to non-STD type (which I think they already are NOT STD anyway) then he can use any NON-STD 88~91 axles... even from the automatic.

The ONLY cable tranny that he would need to change axles and hubs for is the DOHC ZC tranny.
That tranny uses an intermediate shaft and 90~91 Integra axles. Those axles won't work in HF/STD hubs.

Dephtone got this right I believe.
The D15B7 is from the 92~95 cars... all OBD1 and all hydrolic.
This tranny will work without the hydro conversion best bet is find a cable tranny... or stick with your stock one (it will bolt up to that engine).
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf why are people saying you HAVE to convert to mpfi and you HAVE to swap out axles and hubs? axles and hubs and mpfi have nothing to do with swapping non v/t d series to non v/t d series, DOHC ZC excluded. you can keep the d15b7 dpfi, it will run fine, the b7 is mearly an updated version of the b1/b2 with mpfi. is it benificial to upgrade to mpfi? yes. do you NEED to convert just to replace your junked out b2? no. and as far as axles and hubs go, the only time you need to swap axles and hubs is with DOHC ZC,b/f/g/h/k/kia series, being that the transmission side all use the same hub/spline count/spindle size is the same diameter. only reason why hf and std knuckle hubs are smaller imo is to save weight to improve mpg.

o/p, disconnect everything on your b2 including clutch and fly wheel, so you are just pulling a short block (just the bottom end and head, EVERYTHING else is disconnected) then install your b7 short block, bolt everything up, adjust clutch cable, bleed coolant, set ignition timing, and continue on making me jealous by getting 35mpg+, instead of the 20 mpg i'm getting. lol
Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 AM

wow okay thanks guys...so yea i do just want to get it swapped and running since i need my car to get to work so i think i will go with this set up, swap the b7 inside keep my 4speed tranny bolt it on the b7 keep my 4speed axles and hubs then swap my b1 dpfi onto the b7 so i dont have to do the mpfi conversion and i guess from there everything pretty much plug and play? oh and im still using the b7 engine harness right? and will my ecu be fine with the set up? and will the motor mounts fit right in? please lmk if theres anything im missing out because im picking up the motor this weekend and most likely swapping it the fallowing week if it doesnt rain lol.

Last edited by EG-Coupe; 11-10-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no you use the engine harness from your car. oh when you're swapping stuff just double check the location of the fan switch (two prong plug on the back of your b2). it will either be on the back of the block on the b7, or on the thermostat housing. as far as mounts go you use all the stock mounts from your car. you will need to unbolt the mount bracket from the drivers side of the block and re use it on the b7 since they mount different in eg's by a little bit.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 AM

okay so i use my harness then so should i swap the starter,altenator and distributor from my b2 to the b7?? oh and what do u mean by (two prong plug on the back of your b2)? and as far as the driver side mount u mean taking the mounting bracket from my b2 and put it on the b7??
thanks for the info man im picking up the motor on saturday
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can use the b7's starter and alternator but yes you'll need to swap the distributor.

for your driverside mount yes you need to remove the bracket that actually bolts to the block from your b2 and install it on the b7. once you do that you will be able to use your stock mounts to drop it back in the car.

the 2 prong plug on the back of your b2 block is the coolant fan switch. its located here

on the b7 it will no longer be there so you will see something like this. wires, but nowhere to put them

you need to extend those wires and connect them to the new fan switch which will be located on the thermostat housing

i guess that about does it lol
Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
you can use the b7's starter and alternator but yes you'll need to swap the distributor.

for your driverside mount yes you need to remove the bracket that actually bolts to the block from your b2 and install it on the b7. once you do that you will be able to use your stock mounts to drop it back in the car.

the 2 prong plug on the back of your b2 block is the coolant fan switch. its located here

on the b7 it will no longer be there so you will see something like this. wires, but nowhere to put them

you need to extend those wires and connect them to the new fan switch which will be located on the thermostat housing

i guess that about does it lol
auurite! thanks so much man for all this info and the pics for makin it easier...hopefully on sunday il have it in
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 AM

update: so i took out the motor yesterday out now i gotta swap the b1 alternator on the b7 cuz it never came with one and gonna swap the distributor, manifold and b1 engine harness over to the b7 so thats the plan for today and hopefully drop the b7 in today...

Last edited by EG-Coupe; 11-10-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the CX D15B8 in my car ran on P06 settings but i got the obd0-obd1 conversersion harness in my car.. you need the resistor box to run the multipoint also. its either jumper harness or get a obd1 complete engine harness from the 92-95 DX,LX and CX. SI has the VTEC plug if ur gonna do the MINI ME.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bay Area EF9
i got the CX D15B8 in my car ran on P06 settings but i got the obd0-obd1 conversersion harness in my car.. you need the resistor box to run the multipoint also. its either jumper harness or get a obd1 complete engine harness from the 92-95 DX,LX and CX. SI has the VTEC plug if ur gonna do the MINI ME.
im not gonna use the multipoint since i just wanna get my car running for now and later on i will order the dfi-mpfi conversion harnees on ebay so thats y im swapping the dpfi onto the d15b7...

one more question umm the d15b7 came with tranny but im not using that one but can i keep the clutch and flywheell thats inside there and then just bolt on my 4 speed tranny or do i have to use my 4speed clutch pressureplate and flywheel?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bay Area EF9
.. you need the resistor box to run the multipoint also. its either jumper harness or get a obd1 complete engine harness from the 92-95 DX,LX and CX. SI has the VTEC plug if ur gonna do the MINI ME.

-_0

OUCH.

No... and sorta, but no anyway.

You only need a resistor box if -and ONLY if- you are running low impedance injectors.
The motor he is swapping in comes with high impedance injectors, so... no.

Easy option is to get the jumper harness, but I don't follow you after that.
What do you need an entire engine harness for? It won't help to have the whole engine harness if if won't plug into your firewall plugs and your OBD1 ECU won't plug in.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 AM

update on my motor so far:

my d15b1 is out my car took off the tranny and clutch, dpfi manifold.
d15b7 took off the mpfi manifold, trans and clutch.
but as i took a look at my pressure plate from the b1 the long fat teeth some of them look kinda bent outwards so i was wondering if i can use my d15b7 pressure plate instead? does anybody know if i would be able to use that?

so first thing in the morning swapping my dpfi onto the b7 and my old engine harness then im gonna put the tranny back on inspect a lil more and get ready to throw that motor in my car auurite!!

oh and more question does anybody know whats a good way to take off a stripped bolt, cuz i let a friend of mine help me take some parts off my car and as he tried to take off the distributor bolt the one on top the 12mm he stripped so now im kinda stuck on trying to get that bolt off cuz i already tryed to vice grip it but it would just slip more so im out off ideas but it heard something about drilling the bolt or something im not sure......
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pound on a smaller socket?

did you use an open end wrench, i stripped mine with that as well
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First you may apply some penetrating agent. If you can get there with a grinder - if you have one - you can turn it into a slotted bolt for a flat-head screwdriver.
Or grind/file the edges of the bolt for vice grips to hold on to.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would just get a bigger pair of vice grips and squeeze it on there as hard as you can. if you get it good and snug it will very likely allow you to break the bolt loose.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 AM

i have the motor all ready and assembled but it started raining tonight so i couldnt put the motor in so il wait till tomorrow morning and see from there getting closer and closer...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to reuse your original 4spd clutch. the EG clutch wont work. splines are different. nevermind then if u gonna use dual point still. i dunno if the obd0 dizzy will bolt into there tho. i got my car with the jumper harness, obd1 p28 with p06 maps and resistor box already inside.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 AM

Good news everybody, finally finished my swap today got everything hooked up, double checked everything, started her up with the first crank motor sounds smooth and strong, but the only thing i messed up on is the shiftlinkage i think it got bent when we took the motor out cuz it doesnt wanna go in reverse now and feels kinda weird other than that the clutch and all is good. so im gonna have to change the linkage out with another 4-speed one.

But thanks to everybody who made this possible and for all u guys giving me very good advise so THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Okay I got to drive my hatch for the first time with the new swap but as I noticed while driving my temp. Guage went up pretty fast and my engine check light came on and I also noticed my fans never kick on so I'm thinking something might be with those 2 wires I had to cut behind the block that I then had to connect by the thermostat housing is the green and black wire, cuz my car is overhearing and the fans not kickin in, and I never did have issues with overheating on this car so I'm not sure whats up. Any advise would be helpful thank you.

Quick Reply: need advice on swapping D15b7 inside my hatch