Notices

My new EF

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My new EF - BETaEF's Build Thread

Hey all,

Just picked up a 90 EF Hatch Si on Feb 19th. It has been awhile since I have owned a Honda. I sold my 91 CRX Dx back in Sept/2013 due to having two small children that had no way of fitting in the rear! I cant tell you how much better I feel now, my heart had a void for all that time.

After a few long years of a new job, and new house, I finally found the money for another Honda. I have been searching CL/Classifieds/FB for about 8 months now looking. Up here in Erie, PA its hard to find anything over a few years old with minimal rust.

Anyways, I found this one about 4 hours away over in Ohio, and jumped on it! The minute I opened the door, and started to sit down in my new cockpit, that honda smell hit me and I knew it was the right decision!

D16A6 replaced with Jasper D16A6 in 2008
Came with Y8 Head and Z6 Intake Manifold and P28 ECU
Will be starting Mini-Me ASAP
287,000+

Last edited by BETaEF; 05-09-2017 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Updated Title
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new EF

Well, she failed first inspection try...

Drivers side upper ball joint about to fall off, inner/outer tie rods too much play.

Parts list piling up in the garage:
Energy Suspension Master kit
Front Wheel Bearings
Upper Control Arms
Blox Lowering springs
TruHart Sport Springs
Lower Ball Joints
Inner/Outer Tie Rods
Front Sway Bar Links
Breaks
Rotors
Drag dr16 wheels...15x7

Last edited by BETaEF; 03-09-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics all broken

why truhart springs? why not something like an H&R or Eibach at least?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bbarbulo, pics were showing up on my end, hopefully now they will be viewable to everyone.

I decided to go with the Blox lowering springs because of price. I found them for 95.00 brand new a few weeks ago. I used to run Eibach sprotline on my old 91 crx dx with tokiko blues.

After reading quite a few reviews/stance pics, seemed everyone said they were a good spring. As long as you matched them to a shock for lowering springs. And I have been wanting to try out a Truhart product for awhile, so I picked up their sport shock.

I will hopefully be getting these all installed within the next few weeks, I didnt realize how much work there was in the wheel wells. Ill be adding new CV Axle Shafts to the list, stopping on the way home tonight. Check that pic above....

Last edited by BETaEF; 03-09-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice pick up
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a reasonably well kept car considering your location. Also looks like you're having fun working on it too.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

That thing actually looks really good for the year considering the part of the country it came from. I have a soft spot for EFs
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have fun wrenching. It always feels nice to upgrade parts, especially when new.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BETaEF
The minute I opened the door, and started to sit down in my new cockpit, that honda smell hit me and I knew it was the right decision!
LOL I know them feels

Yes pics work now. Car looks good - thread has potential!

I was in the same boat with my 4th gen; it was hard to throw a bunch of money at it but eff it. At this point, you don't do this for resale or whatever; it's just love. Makes it a bit easier to part with the spendies knowing you are doing it for keeps.

I hope you like the suspension.

Just something I've learned over the last 20+ years though...OEM parts really are the cat's meow. When you want to modify, top shelf parts are worth it. I went all OEM or OEM style from a reputable manufacturer (Moog/Federal Mogul, TRW, Febi/Bilstein, Beck Arnley, etc) with the exception of TEIN coilovers. I know economically and time-wise it makes sense to just throw on new LCAs (considering the bushings alone add up to what it costs to buy new LCAs plus time to sandblast, remove old and press in new) but I rebuilt OEM parts with all new bushings front and back. Just the look alone is worth it to me. I do have some aftermarket LCAs on one of my EKs, but they are Function 7.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea man, not one bit worried about resale value, this car is mine forever. Even if i have to swap a new motor in every couple years. I had a CRX for 10 years, and the only mods I had on it were I/H/E. Feels like im making up for lost time lol. Anyway, I picked up some new CV shafts for each side and finally got the lower ball joints, hubs, and bearings knocked out of the spindles. I cant believe I forgot pics! That was a lot of work not having a press. Will update later with pics!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:51 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey nice find!

I was in exactly the same boat as you. Always had Honda's and loved to work on them, until 2013 when I parted with my last one due to kids, life, etc. etc. And just recently purchased a 91 CRX I found to fill that same void.

Problem now is still finding time to work on it, but it looks like you have already gotten a good start on yours! Keep up on the updates and I will follow for sure.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's awesome 2x0! My first one was a 91 CRX Dx. Loved that thing. Endgame for me is a white instead of read though lol. I HATE red vehicles.

Hope you can find some time to get out there and bang up your knuckles, I'll be watching for a thread!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BETaEF
That's awesome 2x0! My first one was a 91 CRX Dx. Loved that thing. Endgame for me is a white instead of read though lol. I HATE red vehicles.

Hope you can find some time to get out there and bang up your knuckles, I'll be watching for a thread!

I did start a thread, but it has been very slow-going and uninteresting so far lol. Mostly updating it for my own documentation purposes.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...hread-3292540/

I bought the car already "built" but the previous owner had let it go for quite some time. Already had to replace and repair a few things, got a new passenger side axle on the way and she should be good to go for now.

When it's warmer I plan to get the injectors cleaned and head to the dyno for a retune.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats everyone using to restore the LCA's and Spindles? POR-15?? What about HVT Engine spray paint? I got everything out, just need to clean them. I dont have access to a sand blaster...anything else for recommendations...wire wheel and degreaser? Scotch-brite?
Thanks!

2x0 thanks for the link!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Surprisingly for ohio that's not a lot of rust make sure you go ever all the bushing ohio has no inspection and cars are notoriously under maintained I spent 6 years in that horrible state
Old 03-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sandblast everything and I did use POR15. the stuff is pretty incredible. but at $60 for a quart, it wasn't cheap. to be honest, I've used rustoleum hammertone to paint my barbell weights, and they turned out awesome... the hammertone paint is the same stuff as regular rustoleum, and if I didn't already have POR15, I would have no problem using a little thing of brush-on rustoleum paint. it may take longer to dry, but it flows out to a great finish w/o brush marks and is very durable. POR15 and rustoleum smell the same, so I don't know if there is a huge difference between the two for stuff like suspension components. like I said, I'd use it.

if you don't have a blaster, proper use of a wire wheel does wonders too! but you are limited access by the radius of your brush. So wash everything really well first, then wirebrush the crap out of it, then wash it again with a scotchbrite pad and dishsoap. blow it off, and you're ready for paint. I do go the extra step and finish casting ridges and stuff with a file or a 2 inch sanding disk on a diegrinder.

but blasting does wonders, it gives you back the detail of all the numbers and stuff that's cast into the knuckle or calipers or LCAs - really makes them pop again. wire brushing doesn't return that level of detail to the casting.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, got some questions...
Car came with a y8 Head and a z6 Intake manifold and throttle body.
#1. Am I able to do a min-me with a6 block, y8 head, and z6 manifold?

#2. Will this kit work for the mini-me?
I have a p28 ecu
obd0-obd1 harness
Dizzy harness
02 sensor harness

I bought this kit from ebay....

92-95 Honda Civic 1.6 SOHC D16Z6

This Item Includes:
  • Head Gasket Set
    • Multi-layered Steel (MLS Head Gasket
    • Intake Manifold Gasket
    • Exhaust Manifold Gasket
    • Valve Cover Gasket
    • Viton Valve Stem Seals
    • Camshaft Seal
    • O-rings
    • Other Small Gaskets
    • Gasket Silicone Sealant
  • Timing Belt Kit
    • 1 Timing Belt (104 teeth)
    • 1 GMB Roller Tensioner Bearing ( bearing assembly)
    • 1 Camshaft Seal (29 x 45 x 8)
    • 1 Front Crankshaft Seal (31 x 46 x 8)
  • Head Bolts

Thanks guys, its been below 32 the past week, i havent been able to work for more than one hour at a time in the garage I started to drop the tranny since I have all the suspension out of the car. New clutch should be here tomorrow!

Thanks for any light you all can shed
Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's all covered here

CRX Community Forum ? View topic - Y8 mini-me write up draft
Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks,

I have found that thread and already have it bookmarked Just wanted to double check about the a6 block, y8 head, and z6 intake, but since I havent found a thread stating NOT to use the combination I guess it should work.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, a small update...I finally got the transmission out!

What a pain in the *** for my first time. Kept missing bolts and plugs, but she is out

Go check your Advanced Autos if you dont have a manual for your car yet! Just picked up this one today for .05 cents. I was a little hesitant because of he 24.99 sticker price, but wanted one today instead of waiting to have one shipped in. I lucked out!

Any recommendations on how to clean the tranny it is super dirty!

You should have seen all the extra hardware/debris that came out with it.

Brakes and Rotors

Old Energy Suspension master kit I found on Ebay for 60.00. Was missing Shift linkage kit and front swaybar kit.

SS brake lines

Short throw, and what I used to get out that bitch pin...could not get it out while under car, had to wait till I got it to the bench.

Clutch, flywheel, PP, bearings

Tomorrow I will be installing a new Rear main seal and hopefully the whole clutch kit.
I assume I should get new Axle shaft seals while Im down there?
And every diy i read on how to remove the tranny mentioned at some point draining the fluid. I completely forgot until I was shaking it out, and once out still havent seen any fluid. Must be super low? Will drain it and take note.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope some of you jumped on the Haynes Repair manual for .05 cents! Well I got all seals replaced, and tranny reinstalled! A little harder said than done, but it was definitely a learning experience. I got the new short throw installed as well as the Energy shift linkage kit. Also found a cool way to keep the flywheel from moving while tightening the 17mm 12point bolts.

Finally finished pressing out the old bushings in my front LCA's. Man, I will NEVER do that again. What a pain, but anyway they are all cleaned along with forks and spindles and got fresh paint.

More to come, but I think im finally ready to start installing new parts!
Old 03-28-2017, 01:44 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like your technique for holding the flywheel, that looks like the best DIY method without having a specific tool made for it.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looking good
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 24TEN
I like your technique for holding the flywheel, that looks like the best DIY method without having a specific tool made for it.
I concur, that is something i will be doing from now on. Good work!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a pretty clean looking EF bro! I just got a 91 EF Hatchback SI myself.
Unfortunately I'm taking over ownership of it because my best friend who owned
it prior took his life a couple weeks ago. I decided I wanted to purchase the car
from his family and tune it up and completely restore it the way he would have
wanted too prior to the crazy depression he was dealing with..

It's a white 91 EF SI and is a 5 speed with the moonroof. It's in pretty good
condition. From what I can see, it's in better off shape than the one you have
pictured in this thread. Fun cars to work on.. can't wait to see your progress!

Quick Reply: My new EF