Notices

THE LUNCHBOX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default THE LUNCHBOX!

Fair bit has happened, more eires have been connected, still a few left.

Bought PLM headers from JDMyard and the B16 flywheel cover to clear the headers, also started welding up exhaust:

Also my innovative traction bar arrived, and my near new bride zeta-3 from my mate Timmy, swapped for the recaros!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE LUNCHBOX!

Also continued on welding up the rest of my exhaust today, got the mid section hanger on, and then started cutting up 2 90 degree bends I had to jump the system over the rear axle. Unfortunately I need 1 more 90 degree bend so I had to stop where I was, but pre much this is what I got up to, its ready to drop down just after the axle

Need to clean up few of the welds and then spray black heat paint on to finish it off.

Last edited by afx31; 04-05-2023 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked up the bolts/nuts for rocker cover today from mi mate Ram, cheers to him getting them shipped from Honda Japan. Can't complain about that Genuine Honda parts goodness + dem Honda bags

Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sooo its been a while since I've posted eh.. Pre much, everything is done but we are left with 1 problem.. When cranking, ECU decides to turn off.. Not sure what it is, just wiring somewhere.. I have tried to figure it out for a while but its time to let the Honda gods figure it out at a Honda tuners near by. Hopefully get the car back in a few days with her running and tuned! Stay Tuned!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**UPDATE**

Been a few months since post, car is up and running. Will be doing a huge catch up post this weekend hopefully!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So tune went well, made roughly 135kw atw @ 8300 rpm limiter, launch control set to 4900. Very happy with it. Everything was kinda thrown together the night before I was towing to tuners, throwing dash in by myself at night, only bolting in with 2 bolts. seats, trims etc etc... was a night mare, but got it there. All wiring I got sorted and everything ran well, tuner relocated the ground I chose for battery was the one I did on rear shock tower just was not sufficient enough.

After run in tune, he said I need bigger injectors, the standard B series ones were maxing out, so I opted for H22A ones, the high impedance due to not running a resistor box. Found some locally and he installed them when I went back for final tune after 1200km. Had to obviously change plugs over to suit the new injectors.

Once final tune was done, I was able to put the red factory rocker cover on now that cam gears had been adjusted accordingly. Looks much better, especially in the white engine bay. Also fabbed up a quick alloy sheet pod filter box cover so the popo won't get mad

hmm what else have i done... been a few months.. major impulse buy on some 15x7 +38 OG Buddyclub P1's, chucked em on car, sold the next day. Specs way too weak, they look alright though. Was gonna use these as track wheels but yeah nah..

FINALLY installed my sound system yesterday actually. Since owning the car I only had a aftermarket headunit I bought and some $300 front speakers, which in the end didn't go well because no amp for bass, although tremble was pre good! So when I bought that red DA9 for sourcing my motor, I took the amp and sub from that, and now it's in my car + some 6x9's on rear parcel shelf. BOY! It is amazing, the quality of sound is perfect. Going to vinyl dye the whole rear parcel shelf to match interior
Old 10-17-2016, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I attended a Yez Racing Wakefield track day about a month ago, 2nd time at wakefield, first time with new motor. Boy was it fun, started out at 1:20, then forgot I had dampenings all on 0 for street (couldn't figure why car was sliding out), straight away I was getting constant 1:15's. Through out the day I learnt the car on track more and more and kept pushing, managing a 1:13 at best! I'm keen to get back asap to beat that time. Plan to go back with same tyres but apparently if I run higher PSI than I was (30 before going out) I'll be a lot better. Wakefield is all right hand turns apart for 1, so the front left gets the most beating. In the pic below, you can see where side wall was flexing, these are only street spec nitto's. But I'll be looking into upgrading to a good performance Advan AD08 as they run at WTAC.

Pic of washing once back from track day, followed by quick 5 minute youtube video of few laps, including my 1:13, and a bit of drifting at end

Old 10-17-2016, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a quick teaser of the rim I'm very soon to purchase for track rims :D

Old 11-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**UPDATE**

2 weeks ago I did another Wakefield track day, unfortunately no footage as my GoPro legit decided to corrupt all footage... rather annoyed especially as I started to get constant 1:13.6's, 1:13.9's etc and managed to get a 1:13.0! So happy, but all 4 tyres have rooted themselves, time to give them a rest and save for some new ones, next year though after my Japan trip in Feb!

Also not sure if I posted in here, but my passenger indicator plastic bracket on the back of it has been snapped off since I bought the EF9 SiR front, so it would always sit out and only be secured by the side screw.. So I decided to be productive yesterday and fixed it.. Used some spare sheet metal, cut it to have the tooth type bracket thingo and then decided to just yolo it and cable tie in as I wasn't bothered to glue it and hold it there. Probably took me all of 10-20 minutes and it works! Very happy with the outcome, finally sits correct! (excuse the cracked paint, been a while since last respray haha, car is also very dirty, usually not bothered to wash it these days to be honest..)

Old 12-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So here to do another big update. I have finally got around to installing a CRX seat as my passenger seat, I went about making the brackets to relocate the bolt holes between CRX seat and ED Civic rails. For the passenger side I had to weld 2 pieces of thick metal together, like 4mm thick or something as the hole difference was 80mm.. Other side was only 30mm so could get away with the one piece. Also required to cut a bit out of the seat pan for the bracket to fit in, but cutting this area did not affect the set's flex.

Annnnnd heres how a pic of how it looks next to my Bride, I love the CRX seat it looks way better than the ED Civic seats. I do have a drivers CRX seat as well which I will copy the brackets and install soon.

Also recently attended the JDMYard Honda Show Off EOYM which I managed to take out the 'Best OldSkool Pre 92' award, so happy to of won it as there was some other tough competitors there, originally only going to see the other builds put on display and not to win an award, but happy I did so. Will soon share the photographers photos taken on the day, they are quite some piece of an artwork.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sick bro! Motivates me to get back to workin on my CRX.

Good job!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Je2RiT
Pretty sick bro! Motivates me to get back to workin on my CRX.

Good job!
Thanks bro! Yeah man these cars are definitely rewarding to work on, and the outcome is always awesome!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked those buddyclubs, looked good.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
I liked those buddyclubs, looked good.
Hmm yeah they long gone
Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so clean !
Old 12-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssmrico
so clean !
Thanks mate! Try to keep her as neat as possible but unfortunately the raods are here are full of stones which like to destroy bars.. sad life
Old 12-21-2016, 03:49 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably going to do this on my car:

Armor All Custom Shield Clear - 396g - Supercheap Auto

Maybe give it a go for your lip? It's basically plasti-dip really, but with better protective qualities.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, all legit
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
Probably going to do this on my car:

Armor All Custom Shield Clear - 396g - Supercheap Auto

Maybe give it a go for your lip? It's basically plasti-dip really, but with better protective qualities.
Yeah let me know how yours goes and I'll consider. Need to fill in 'dents' on the lip itself. Probably sand whole thing back and repaint
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by '89 Civaaaahhck
Awesome, all legit
Cheers dude! Try to be legit as possible haha!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afx31

yum, that wheel!!!!

car looks great!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bbarbulo
yum, that wheel!!!!

car looks great!
Yaaas the Wedssport TC005, very nice but unfortunately peasant specs for the car. Sat in waaaay too much for my liking
Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've just returned from a 3 week Japan trip, returning trip was good to get back there, had an amazing time. Was going to update what part I bought over there from a EF9 but theres something a little more disturbing that has occurred with the lunchbox since I'm back.

Last night I pulled her outa the garage after sitting in there for 3 weeks, keen beans to drive it. Got snapchat ready for the perfect '1st start up' vid, but when I turn the key it doesn't start. All that seems to happen is starter turns really fast, can see the crank pulley spinning but the motor itself isn't really 'shaking/cranking' like it would when you start a working car (if you all get me?) Sent a vid to a few mates, they believe theres a possibility the timing has somehow jumped a tooth or two. Tomorrow we are going to remove the rocker cover and investigate. Hopefully it hasn't, and if it has its done no/bare minimal damage..
Old 02-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just read through the entire build thread. looks great and keep us posted on the progress!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91CTR
just read through the entire build thread. looks great and keep us posted on the progress!
Thanks mate will do!

**UPDATE on motor**

So took a loot at the motor today, ugh.. when I was moving my dizzy and leads back from my daily DA9 to civic (had issues on DA9 with dizzy or leads, so was attempting to pin point what was wrong) I managed to somehow put the dizzy in the wrong way, as it was night time and dark i saw the upper bolt location and the back were aligned with motor, so as you do I took it for grant all was good and slapped in the bolts. In doing so when attempting to start the car, it locked the intake cam in place, which pulled the belt off of it. Result was I skipped 5-6 teeth, yep.. we thought motor was most likely stuffed, well definitely the valves. Anyways with nothing to lose, re did the timing, obviously put dizzy in correctly and started it. First initial start out it did sound like bent valves, tried again in case it was just because the car hadn't been started in a while and what do you know, idle picked up normal as it always does, motor also sounds fine when revving it. Took it for a spin to check it still had the same power, driving normal was fine, final test was to give it the beans from 1st gear (also just wanted to give it a hit) and we are still chirping into 3rd!

So I'm very happy no valves were bent and no damage done to motor! So now its time to hunt down some wheels to run on the track, taking the 949 6UL's 15x8 +36 into consideration.

Quick Reply: THE LUNCHBOX!