Notices

k20 in an ef?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 07:09 AM
N/A wh0re!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k20 in an ef?

i saw a video of a k20 in an EG hatch, would a k20 be possible in an EF?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: k20 in an ef? (celtic)

Yes.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (4drEF)

when i heard that hasport is coming out with a k series mount kit for the ef i was like to hell with a b series swap... do you know how badass a 200 hp 6 speed crx or civic hatch would be ... this is what i plan to do to my hf in the next few years
Old 11-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it wont come to the EF chassis
the K series are the opposite of the b series
these motors are bigger and the exhaust manifold is close to the firewall
if u familiar without chassis we know theres no space left over back there for that ... we got a crossmember when the EG doesnt
the EG chassis ahs a whole lot more room back there to play with....
i say it would be badass but it aint worthed the headache
Old 11-07-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (USDM 4G VTEC)

yep. hasport is releasing that next year arent they?

it would be cool to have a 200 horse six speed 1900 lbs car yes it would, ad that's stock hahahahahahhaha buwhahahahahah lol, sorry
Old 11-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brian from Hasport said the K series EG mounts would be VERY simliar to the EF mounts. You need a custom header to get a K series into an EG to clear the steering rack, so having to get a different custom header for an EF to clear the firewall wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (Patch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Patch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">having to get a different custom header for an EF to clear the firewall wouldn't be a big deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i dont wanna start a flame war or call u a fool

but do me a favor
1- go to a K series motor and look at the header style
2- go and look to the back of the motors at the EG and EF and compare the space
3-notice that the design of the EF motors sit very close to the firewall compared to the EG's
4- notice that EG only has skinny steering rack and EF have the big *** crossmember and rack there also.
5- the EF crossmember on the back adds a lot of strengt into the engine bay chassis
6-(maybe with a very weird custom header the motor will bolt in) but as of having a stock motor or turbo.. its not possible unless u are ready to let go a lot of money in it.

For a mass produced swap kit like the B series on EF chassis we gotta be realistic and think isnt going to happen

it will be sweet but people wont be spendin tha tkinda money into a EF chassis with that motor... sorry but i rather spend my money into a Real RSX or Civic and swap the JDM Type R motor with 220hp and go from there

Old 11-07-2003, 08:13 AM

for the $6,000 price tag of the k20a engine, plus the estimated $500+ for the mount kit, plus $500+ for a custom header, you could easily build another engine. That's $7,000 just to say you have a k20 civic. thats pretty dumb.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:30 AM

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

u could also say the same thing about putting a b18c5 engine into a crx. 4000$ for the motor if ur lucky, 500$ for a swap kit, 1000$ for cams/ecu/watever mods u wanna do to get it to 200whp. it works out to be the same in the end. But as a bonus u get an extra gear, and a lighter motor.

the k series is lighter than a b18c5 and smaller in dimensions.. although it is slightly taller.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the $6,000 price tag of the k20a engine, plus the estimated $500+ for the mount kit, plus $500+ for a custom header, you could easily build another engine. That's $7,000 just to say you have a k20 civic. thats pretty dumb.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think it's really dumb it's NEW technology where there is lots of potential.

If i had the cash i would go k20
isn't the crv a k24? maybe there will be a new crvtec is it possible?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Re: (KoRE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KoRE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't the crv a k24? maybe there will be a new crvtec is it possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the k24 is allready dohc ivtec but im sure putting a rsx-r (jdm itr) head on it would be promissing

and in my opinion the k20 in a crx or ef civic is a great idea and a great step into the future k20eg is allready putting out 200+whp im not sure of the exact number i think its around 240 but he just has itbs cams and a header and the kseries are much more tuner friendly with better wheel hp and tq and lighter than bseries plus 6speed is a plus i think after hasport comes out with there mount kit you will start seing a lot of crx's and ef civics with k's

my 0.02
Old 11-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KoRE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i don't think it's really dumb it's NEW technology where there is lots of potential.

If i had the cash i would go k20
isn't the crv a k24? maybe there will be a new crvtec is it possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Frank motor's have already been made, and posted on this site. Please refer to the EP3/DC5 forum..........
Old 11-07-2003, 09:47 AM

I'm not going to worry about when the mount kit is available for the EF...

It's going to be a while so dont hold your breath.

Can you image it though, a 220 HP motor stock, 6 speed tranny, easily hitting 220 WHP with some bolt ons

Old 11-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (hybrid honda)

K20 in a EF would be bad *** but you gotta think about how much further you'd have to move the engine so the exhaust manifold would clear. It's great idea but for the price I would rather build a B series and turbo it.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KoRE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If i had the cash i would go k20</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what im saying... yes it is costly but if i had it i would do it... with a c5 you will spend close to the same amount of money and get close to the same amount of power BUT it is pretty much a fully built motor... the k20 has a LOT of room to work with as compared to the c5... did anyone see the rsx they had in honda tuning with 263 wheel hp all motor... argue with that
Old 11-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Frank motor's have already been made, and posted on this site. Please refer to the EP3/DC5 forum..........</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA NICE! Man i'm way behind the times
Old 11-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i dont wanna start a flame war or call u a fool

but do me a favor
1- go to a K series motor and look at the header style
2- go and look to the back of the motors at the EG and EF and compare the space
3-notice that the design of the EF motors sit very close to the firewall compared to the EG's
4- notice that EG only has skinny steering rack and EF have the big *** crossmember and rack there also.
5- the EF crossmember on the back adds a lot of strengt into the engine bay chassis
6-(maybe with a very weird custom header the motor will bolt in) but as of having a stock motor or turbo.. its not possible unless u are ready to let go a lot of money in it.

For a mass produced swap kit like the B series on EF chassis we gotta be realistic and think isnt going to happen

it will be sweet but people wont be spendin tha tkinda money into a EF chassis with that motor... sorry but i rather spend my money into a Real RSX or Civic and swap the JDM Type R motor with 220hp and go from there

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel much the same way you do, but I just thought of one thing you didn't. Witt the lack of the exhaust manifold up front, the position of the motor could be moved forward, thus clearing enough room for a custom header in the back of the engine bay. Unfortunately I feel this will disrupt a good 60/40 distribution, and slightly hinder suspension performance of an EF. This also depends on the position of the intake manifold. Also everyone has to know that the K series tranny is on the other side, and still might not fit. It will b interesting watch the development of this particular swap, and although im sure I will never run one, I will benefit. Hopefully, this will lower the already high price of the B series swap.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (azroth)

cool, never thought about a six speed 200 horsepower motor in a crx. Nice to see how it turns out
Old 11-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (azroth)

well you can only move the motor so far. its not like the axles are that flexable. im sure somebody will do it. and hopefully it wont be too much of a pain. that would def be insane with a cybernation turbo kit on it. mmm mm mmm
Old 11-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (mitsuman)

yea u gotta also consider
that engine will turn opposite, but still foward of engien
with a tranny on the opposite side, and weight distribuition all messed up, engine can be moved fowars but weight and intake manifold to radiator its pretty close, as far as motor mount locations there will be bad issues due to the location of the EF ones...
Old 11-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

why not buy a JDM K20A - is already i-VTEC - 220hp - these guys already have 247WHP with header and different fuel maps on stock internals http://www.prototyperacing.com/k20spec.htm - click on "back to K20 kit page" for more info and pictures
Old 11-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea u gotta also consider
that engine will turn opposite, but still foward of engien
with a tranny on the opposite side, and weight distribuition all messed up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Weight distribution would be better if the tranny was on the drivers side and the bulk of the motor on the pass. side.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 in an ef? (d357r0y)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d357r0y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

would be better .</TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly
our cars are already designed and balanced the way they are...
H22s arent that bad of understeer unless ugoing massive fast
with these one the car will be too unbalanced, specially the CRX's since they weight even less on the rear
Old 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am sure when people wanted to start putting c5's into there cars they were nervous about it too. I am sure they will make it easy enough to do eventually.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydmcrx)

Has anyone seen Evans in the JE Import Performance H1 CRX? He owns. He runs a B18, and no weight distribution problems there. With the K series engine weighing 50 lbs. less than a B-series swap, I really don't think weight distribution would be that big of a problem.

USDM - Do you not think that people doing the EG K-series swap ran into the same problems with firewall and PS rack clearance? Not only did they fabricate a header to clear the PS rack, but they made power with it. I'm sure whatever mounts that are created will take the firewall clearance into consideration, so a custom header can be created and used. I believe the K-series EG headers go for $500, why wouldn't the EF headers be in the same ballpark if people started doing the swap?

Quick Reply: k20 in an ef?