Notices

Help! clutch problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! clutch problem!

i'm having a strange clutch issue.. maybe you guys can help me out. when i depress the clutch pedal, it feels as though the cable is binding, because it gets pretty tough, and there is also a sound... i don't really know how to describe the sound. but anyway, the binding gets worse the slower i push on the pedal...

one time it got REALLY tough, and then bam, i thought the cable snapped, and i stalled while backing out of a parking spot. i popped the hood and found that the cable was really loose, so i tightened it back up, and the car ran fine. really well actually, the clutch felt really light and the binding was gone. but now, its starting to come back again. any ideas what it could be?

i'm thinking it might be the clutch cable.. but its relatively new. my other thought is that its the pressure plate.. but i'm not sure that makes sense, considering how light it felt after it broke loose. i don't think its the throw-out bearing, because if i try it with the motor off, it feels exactly the same as with it running. anyone have similar experiences or ideas about what could be wrong? thanks!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Help! clutch problem! (carsaregood)

I had a very similar problem with my clutch. When I assembled the throw out bearing I used White Lithium grease instead of high temp bearing grease. The Lithium broke down and the bearing was binding on the shaft. It really sucked taking the tranny out of my newly swapped car, but after I put the correct grease on, everything worked great.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! clutch problem! (hughesl)

hm, i used regular multipurpose grease from kragen... the same that i have used in the past with no problems.. so perhaps something else? i don't mind taking it all apart... i've done it more than a few times... i think i'm going to have to regardless... i just want to have thought it all out before, so i don't end up having to take it apart more than once.